Reply 60
Original post by daviddd!1994
Firm Glasgow!!!!!

Lol then you see the reply below :P
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 61
Original post by Jekki
Before to go to Glasgow Uni it is better to ask students who studied at the Glasgow Uni. They will tell you true opinion.

Business School at Glasgow University is the worst business school in Europe. 99% Chineese students, and Business School accepts everybody who wants to study here. That's why deadline for international students is the end of July, for UK/Europe students is the end of August. Therefore, very weak groups and very weak professors who are really lazy and don't want to make a normal lecture notes. One my professors even coudn't copy material from the book and made a lot of mistakes...One professors almost doesn't speak english, I don't know how the uni offered him job((( nobody understands his english and he even made mistakes in exam paper.

So my opinion, don't believe in all these rankings and other things - Just ask other stutdents about their experience before going to any uni. :-) I hope it helps

Did you study AccFin at glasgow? if not what did you study? Ive asked but this girl whos in 3rd year said its really good (biased?) and why do you say its worst in europe? At the post offer accfin evening i met people with conditionals so well yeah i guess its an offer. How do you know all this? omg im really glad i saw this before firming lol! Yes this really helps!!! However at glasgow accfin the course is the only one with employers coming in to do mock interviews and interview feedback and all this and internships in second year so it doesnt sound too bad does it? Is this all a lie? But thanks im so glad i saw this :biggrin:
Reply 62
Original post by magenta1
Did you study AccFin at glasgow? if not what did you study? Ive asked but this girl whos in 3rd year said its really good (biased?) and why do you say its worst in europe? At the post offer accfin evening i met people with conditionals so well yeah i guess its an offer. How do you know all this? omg im really glad i saw this before firming lol! Yes this really helps!!! However at glasgow accfin the course is the only one with employers coming in to do mock interviews and interview feedback and all this and internships in second year so it doesnt sound too bad does it? Is this all a lie? But thanks im so glad i saw this :biggrin:

I study MSc Finance. If you are in Glasgow, just go and attend some of the lectures from Business School and see how professors teach students and the main important thing see the class and other students. And think about why is the deadline is the en of July? when programme starts in Semptember. The university accepts all students who wasn't lucky to get offer from normal good universities.
It is worth to note that the university marketing team works very good - nice marketing to attract students, rankings (5th in Economic - it is definitely not true). I haven't had any local professor during the my study here...70% from Greece. Some of them just completed their PHd's last year and came here to teach and experiment by chnaging programme structures and making them not understandable.
Yes, the university makes a lot of workshops...but I haven't seen anybody from Business school who was offered internship.....I respect marketing team here. **** how was I stupid to come here to study :-)
Reply 63
Original post by Jekki
I study MSc Finance. If you are in Glasgow, just go and attend some of the lectures from Business School and see how professors teach students and the main important thing see the class and other students. And think about why is the deadline is the en of July? when programme starts in Semptember. The university accepts all students who wasn't lucky to get offer from normal good universities.
It is worth to note that the university marketing team works very good - nice marketing to attract students, rankings (5th in Economic - it is definitely not true). I haven't had any local professor during the my study here...70% from Greece. Some of them just completed their PHd's last year and came here to teach and experiment by chnaging programme structures and making them not understandable.
Yes, the university makes a lot of workshops...but I haven't seen anybody from Business school who was offered internship.....I respect marketing team here. **** how was I stupid to come here to study :-)

You study finance at Glasgow uni yeah? I dont think i can just attend lectures can i? Are you allowed to do that? I thought all uni deadlines were like ages away? i dont know btw im just assuming :smile: Yeah i saw AccFin was ranked top in scotland RAE 2008 so was like oooh :tongue: Did you understand what they were saying? Omg how did you do in your degree? On AccFin evening they got 3 current students to talk about their experience and one was in 3rd year and had done an internship with morgan stanley i think in 2nd year and doing a current internship with HSBC so i was like oooh, but maybe that was marketing? What attracted you at first? What do all your classmates think? What about the social aspect and what are the students like? Also, were you choosing between glasgow and edinburgh? If not what unis were you choosing between? Thanks :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
I know ive probs posted a million times about deciding between glasgow or edinburgh but here is my final one (hopefully i can just choose one afterwards)!

So, my reasons for going to Glasgow are:

-I love the city more than ed (maybe cos i visit glasgow more than ed) but i feel i would probs be happier at glasgow HOWEVER i could be positive and enjoy ed if i spent more time at ed

-i love the uni as its all centralised and just in general (was my first choice ever as i hadnt thought ever about getting an unconditional into ed)

-from my experience glasgow the people are so much nicer and have more fun! (there is one particular society in both unis i would like to join and ive got in contact via facebook to both and i dont know anyone in either society but in gla they sounded really helpful and friendly whereas in ed some sounded nice and friendly but there was the particular one person who was very quite hostile to me and i actually felt like saying if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all but in case i actually picked Ed i didnt really want to start with an enemy). Also from the pictures and photos the society in glasgow looked MUCH more fun whereas in ed it felt like they met up rarely etc and i want fun :biggrin:

-for my course there are more internships and mock interviews and feedback etc which you dont get in ed

2 bad things about Gla:

-my course accounting and finance is good in both but there are computing aspects and i HATE computers as i cant work them (i know its in my course and i would be happy to do it obv) but in gla theres a computing part in the first 3 years whereas in Ed its only in first year

- the fact you dont get given lecture notes (see below for my reason) and have to print them out yourself or download them onto laptop (dont like this as just IN CASE a virus deletes all my data) and i cant revise from a computer

ONLY good thing about Edinburgh:

- the only reason i would choose Ed is because you get given lecture notes in ed whereas in gla you print them off yourself or download them but when i did higher biology in S5 our teacher went through powerpoints and we had to write stuff down but she wouldnt slow down for us so im like furiously scribbling down and then I missed everything she said and had uncomplete notes so for higher biology basically i had to learn everything from a book and past papers and i hated it cos we actually learnt nothing and i hope for my degree its not like that and i dont want to print all my notes off either as im not taking out a student loan and i would rather be given them and since im going to uni might as well go to a better one but other than this major concern i would go glasgow

So thanks for reading this and i really hope you comment as deadline for replying is 9th May and i have already spent 5 months deciding (got unconditionals to both in November) so a massive decision for me, thanks :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Well, it sounds like you've got your heart set on Glasgow. I don't understand when you say the 'people are nicer', people are more or less the same everywhere, and honestly your only reason for liking Edinburgh is kind of unimportant, really...

I'd choose Edinburgh all the way but that's because what Edinburgh is to me, Glasgow is to you- our respective dream universities, basically. I had to choose between Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Exeter for my firm (my insurance was going to be Aberdeen from the start) and I knew instinctively that Edinburgh was where I wanted to go.

So if that's what you feel with Glasgow, go for it :smile:
This is getting ridiculous.

If your only reason for considering Edinburgh is because you get lecture notes printed out and given to you (which probably won't actually happen in all of your subjects, in all of your classes from Y1 to Y4) then I think you know your decision and are just going round and round in circles.

Thread closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending