The Student Room Group

Anthropology Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lavished
Yes, I am. Only its Anthropology and Spanish for me :smile: Were you at the admissions day on thursday?

I wasn't, I received my offer the day before so didn't know about it... I'll be going on April 21st though :smile: Sussex is your first choice I take it ?
Damn it, the LSE open day went well so I'm back to having literally no idea what to pick out of there or Manchester...
Original post by fbear
Applied to Oxford Brookes, Aberdeen, Durham, Manchester and Edinburgh. Waiting on Durham to reply while Edinburgh rejected me.

Jealous of all of you who got into SOAS. I thought I would surely not get in so didn't even apply. stupid of me.

i'm planning on applying to these exact universities for 2013 entry, but sussex instead of edinburgh. just wondering what your offers were?
Reply 603
Original post by canthaveit
i'm planning on applying to these exact universities for 2013 entry, but sussex instead of edinburgh. just wondering what your offers were?

well i applied after i finished my a-levels and got unconditional offers for all the ones i got into. my grades were ABC.
Reply 604
Original post by canthaveit

Oxford Brookes and Aberdeen gave me unconditionals with BBB, if that's any help :smile:
Reply 605
Who else is firming UCL? :smile:
I went to the Durham Post-app. at Josephine Butler the 21/22nd of March and I loved it. I went to the Anthropology lecture but missed my archaeology lecture in the morning because I was too hungover to adhere to anything. Needless to say, if anyone is thinking of going there, go there! :smile:
Reply 607
Original post by karousel
I wasn't, I received my offer the day before so didn't know about it... I'll be going on April 21st though :smile: Sussex is your first choice I take it ?

Oh, that's a shame. Well I found it to be a truly lovely campus and department, if that's any help? I probably will put it first choice but I haven't officially alerted ucas yet. How about you?
Firmed LSE, Manchester as my insurance. Now just need to get exams out of the way...
Reply 609
Finally received my last decision, an unconditional from Durham. :biggrin: Now to decide between Durham, Manchester and Aberdeen. This is gonna be tough.
Oh, that's a shame. Well I found it to be a truly lovely campus and department, if that's any help? I probably will put it first choice but I haven't officially alerted ucas yet. How about you?

It is, I only applied to Sussex... which kind of left me wondering "what if..." I had applied to other universities but I want to stay in Brighton after moving here 2 years ago, best place I've lived.

Let me know if you do definitely firm it, would be good to 'know' someone before starting :smile:
Hello! I'm new here (first post and everything). Thought I may as well join this thread as I'm applying for Anthropology. I have unconditional offers from SOAS and Goldsmiths. I really really wanted to go to Manchester and got rejected from there, which is a pain as I was hoping to stay near home. Not sure which one to go for! My other 2 offers are for Photography/Photojournalism, it took a lot of hard work trying to get two completely different subjects into one personal statement.
Reply 612
Original post by karousel
It is, I only applied to Sussex... which kind of left me wondering "what if..." I had applied to other universities but I want to stay in Brighton after moving here 2 years ago, best place I've lived.

Let me know if you do definitely firm it, would be good to 'know' someone before starting :smile:

Same :smile: I spend a lot of time worrying that I've made the wrong decisions and thinking that I should just do a gap year and re-apply to higher ranked universities, but that's probably just silly because although I am doing much better academically than I had expected to when applying, Sussex is so lovely andits the only university I can imagine myself going to. Glad to know its the best place you ever lived! Sure, I'll let you know :smile: have you applied for accomodation yet?

Also, I was wondering if anyone else who applied to Manchester and received a rejection has recently received an email saying that they have changed their mind?
Reply 613
Original post by blank-slate
Hello! I'm new here (first post and everything). Thought I may as well join this thread as I'm applying for Anthropology. I have unconditional offers from SOAS and Goldsmiths. I really really wanted to go to Manchester and got rejected from there, which is a pain as I was hoping to stay near home. Not sure which one to go for! My other 2 offers are for Photography/Photojournalism, it took a lot of hard work trying to get two completely different subjects into one personal statement.

Hey! Welcome to the thread!
I'm going to Goldsmiths next year for Anthropology, was going to apply for SOAS but didn't want to retake too many modules in my gap year. Also thought there was no chance of getting an offer, hehe. Are you definitely choosing one of those two for next year over photography and photojournalism next year?

I know Goldsmiths has quite a lot of visual courses (especially in the third year when we choose modules), I'm quite looking forward to them!
Same :smile: I spend a lot of time worrying that I've made the wrong decisions and thinking that I should just do a gap year and re-apply to higher ranked universities, but that's probably just silly because although I am doing much better academically than I had expected to when applying, Sussex is so lovely andits the only university I can imagine myself going to. Glad to know its the best place you ever lived! Sure, I'll let you know :smile: have you applied for accomodation yet?

Definitely, I know that 'prestigious' universities can look better to employers but I think Sussex is one of few decent universities whose methods differ slightly from the traditional academic way and that's a good thing. Liking the university you're at is definitely a factor as important as any other, can't think of anything worse than committing three years to a place you don't like.

I'm going to be staying in the shared house I'm in now so haven't applied to accommodation, are you going for on or off campus ?
Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any advice for work experience or bits I can do that will help my application stand out that little bit more. I volunteer at oxfam, and was going to apply for some internships at museums. Do you think that'll be enough for when I apply in 2013?

Any tips would be much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by DMotorwayKiev
Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any advice for work experience or bits I can do that will help my application stand out that little bit more. I volunteer at oxfam, and was going to apply for some internships at museums. Do you think that'll be enough for when I apply in 2013?

This will definitely be enough, of course everything depends on how you put everything together in your PS, show what you have learned from your experience and how it relates to anthropology ( which in case of oxfam and museums shouldn't be too much of a problem :smile: )
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by katiesonicboom
This will definitely be enough, of course everything depends on how you put everything together in your PS, show what you have learned from your experience and how it relates to anthropology ( which in case of oxfam and museums shouldn't be too much of a problem :smile: )

Haha, thanks man!
Reply 618

that will be more than enough! i had no work experience (kinda hard for anthropology!) but reading books will definitely help you in my opinion, and i got asked about books i've read on one of the applicant days so i'd say that's a good place to start

good luck :smile:
Reply 619

Sounds like you have the makings of a great application already! Volunteering is always a big plus, especially when it's so anthropologically-linked. Like the others said, a little reading and just linking that to anthropology, and you should be pretty sorted :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest