The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone tried putting where they prefer to go in the "special needs" section?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 6381
Original post by andrea09
I'd like ensuite (my parents insisted) so im hoping for James Lighthill or Frances Gardner rather than Goldsmid because of relative proximity, and less travel expenses. However, if i was given standard accommodation I would probably want Schafer :smile:

Out of curiosity, how do you/ will you go to UCL? Is it a lot to walk from there or is it alright?

Goldsmid is £10 cheaper because of the distance. Whether that will cover a weekly travelcard is another matter.

Yeah I'm gonna go to UCL. I live in London already so I went on a trial run between Frances Gardner and the UCL campus. The thing about the distance is if you're from any other city in the country (Oxford, Brighton etc) It's a far walk. But when you're a Londoner a 20 min walk is really close because London is a big place. So I think it's not far but you may. Frances Gardner is better than James lighthill because a) its newer b) it's bigger and c) it's twinned with langton close so you get to meet more people. Don't know much about schafer but I've heard a range of things from "cockroaches" to "really sociable"
Reply 6382
hi! I'd be grateful if anyone could give some advice concerning what to choose between 150 and 200 as the maximum amount of money which I am ready to spend on accommodation.As I want both catered accommodation and living close to ucl, I have no other choice than having to spend about 160-170 pounds per week.

On the one hand I'm afraid if I will put 150 as maximum I will be given a place at Ifor Evans or any other hall, which are most likely to be quite far from ucl. On the other hand if I will put 200, taking into consideration that what I really want is 160-170 pounds (Canterbury Hall or International Hall), I will also have to take the risk of receiving an offer of 190 or even more than 200, because sometimes those from the accommodation office guess that we are flexible in terms of our budget. In other words, there's a noticeable difference between 170 and 200, and I couldn't afford spending more than 170 pounds on accommodation.
Original post by flavb26
hi! I'd be grateful if anyone could give some advice concerning what to choose between 150 and 200 as the maximum amount of money which I am ready to spend on accommodation.As I want both catered accommodation and living close to ucl, I have no other choice than having to spend about 160-170 pounds per week.

On the one hand I'm afraid if I will put 150 as maximum I will be given a place at Ifor Evans or any other hall, which are most likely to be quite far from ucl. On the other hand if I will put 200, taking into consideration that what I really want is 160-170 pounds (Canterbury Hall or International Hall), I will also have to take the risk of receiving an offer of 190 or even more than 200, because sometimes those from the accommodation office guess that we are flexible in terms of our budget. In other words, there's a noticeable difference between 170 and 200, and I couldn't afford spending more than 170 pounds on accommodation.

Well I dunno how much the accommodations cost now - but is there any that cost £200 per week? Also, I guess the form has changed now and you can only pick out of options such as £150 and £200 instead of just writing whatever amount? - Cause a couple of years ago you could have just wrote £170. And.. the maximum amount per week is just used as a guide as well if that helps- you could still get a place more expensive than what you wrote.
Reply 6384
Original post by Waterstorm
Well I dunno how much the accommodations cost now - but is there any that cost £200 per week? Also, I guess the form has changed now and you can only pick out of options such as £150 and £200 instead of just writing whatever amount? - Cause a couple of years ago you could have just wrote £170. And.. the maximum amount per week is just used as a guide as well if that helps- you could still get a place more expensive than what you wrote.

Thanks! Yes, the form has changed and also there's College Hall which is around 200. do you think that it would be better to choose 150?
Original post by flavb26
Thanks! Yes, the form has changed and also there's College Hall which is around 200. do you think that it would be better to choose 150?

You still get a choice for intercollegiate halls right? - and is it all done online now? cause before we could add a little note in saying which ucl halls we wanted even though there wasn't an option to do so.

Tbh, I would phone them and ask - it's probably the safest thing to do, nobody here could give a better answer than the people who are actually gonna decide.
Reply 6386
Original post by Waterstorm
You still get a choice for intercollegiate halls right? - and is it all done online now? cause before we could add a little note in saying which ucl halls we wanted even though there wasn't an option to do so.

Tbh, I would phone them and ask - it's probably the safest thing to do, nobody here could give a better answer than the people who are actually gonna decide.

they say that I must choose 2 halls, but actually I can fill in 5 options. however they don't guarantee my preferred halls. I guees I will rang them on Monday.
Reply 6387
why do they ask for a photograph on the application form? Are they strict about it? As in, does it HAVE to be a passport-type photo?
I've registered my email and chosen a password but it's not letting me login? Says that my details were not found. I don't have ucl userid yet so I'm just using my own email address which I registered through the website. This should work, shouldn't it? Or am I doing something wrong? :frown:
Reply 6389
I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times but do UCL send you some information after you have firmed them telling you how to apply for accommodation or at least give you the information you need to make the relevant accounts?
Reply 6390
Hi everyone!
Im looking accmd in Student houses and was wondering if i put proximity as a priority
what are the chances that i ll get i double room?
Reply 6391
Just filling in my application, i chose catered as my preference and £200 as my limit in the hope i'll get Ramsey. On the next page (Room preferences) what did people do? I said i didn't want a shared room, but when i choose 'UCL Halls' the only option i get on the drop down is 'Twin Room UCL halls'. Any advice?
Reply 6392
Original post by kt94
why do they ask for a photograph on the application form? Are they strict about it? As in, does it HAVE to be a passport-type photo?

I guess it's for the halls ID thing - as far as I understood it, they are mainly concerned about the exact size of the photo, not if they can see your ear or whatever.
I have 2 doubts :
1) I submitted my accommodation application 20 days back, the status is still "pending". Is this the case with everybody or just me ?
2) I have mentioned a preference for nutford place in the special needs section. Will it make a difference ?
and does anybody know how nurford place is ? background : I'm an international student planning to join MSc Management.
Reply 6394
this might sound stupid of me, but how did you guys get your passport photo uploaded? did you get a digital image or scan or what? :/
if i just took a photo of me which fitted all their guidelines would this be ok?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6395
Original post by jayy1994
this might sound stupid of me, but how did you guys get your passport photo uploaded? did you get a digital image or scan or what? :/
if i just took a photo of me which fitted all their guidelines would this be ok?

I used my passport photo- I took a photo with my phone and then emailed it to myself and then uploaded it using my computer. I didn't have scanner or anything you see- it was a bit of a faff. But I'm sure you don't have to use a passport photo to be honest (I wish I hadnt, I look like an escaped convict in mine :tongue:)
Reply 6396
Original post by rohitbose
I have 2 doubts :
1) I submitted my accommodation application 20 days back, the status is still "pending". Is this the case with everybody or just me ?
2) I have mentioned a preference for nutford place in the special needs section. Will it make a difference ?
and does anybody know how nurford place is ? background : I'm an international student planning to join MSc Management.

Hi :smile: I can answer your first question only I'm afraid- I submitted my application a while back and it still had the status of "pending" I think that just means that they are processing it.
Original post by Tateco
I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times but do UCL send you some information after you have firmed them telling you how to apply for accommodation or at least give you the information you need to make the relevant accounts?

Well I got a letter confirming my offer and with that they sent another piece of paper titled 'Information and instructions for students offered a place for entry in 2012 or 2013' That has all the information about applying for accommodation.
Reply 6398
Hi, I registered my email with my UCAS ID instead of UCL reference number. I wasn't able to log in initially but somehow I managed to log in today to the accommodation application page. Just wondering, will registering with UCAS ID have any impact on my accommodation application? Thanks.
Reply 6399
Original post by Purehakkai
Well I got a letter confirming my offer and with that they sent another piece of paper titled 'Information and instructions for students offered a place for entry in 2012 or 2013' That has all the information about applying for accommodation.

I was just looking for what the student number is, turns out it is the reference after all. It says it doesn't recognise my email address now :facepalm:

Latest

Trending

Trending