The Student Room Group

To those who haven't started revising yet.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Chaofan88
I think I started around a similar time to you. It really doesn't help that I basically have to teach myself most of chemistry at home and now biology as one of my teachers is absolutely crap and we're not really covering content fast enough (and I'm finding parts of unit 5 hard as it is!):/ Hahaha, I'm probably the last person who should be giving out revision tips- I don't really know how to revise properly/super effectively so I started early! I'd say make sure you understand what's going on and past papers are a must!

hi ..can you please tell me how you got your A for bio unit 4? i honestly worked hard for it but didnt get an A! how EXACTLY do you revise for it..even when i do past papers im confused lol it's just the type of questions they ask hate it! :/ please give me some tips???
I have 9, but someone in my year has 18! And my friend knows someone who has 24, because they are literally retaking everything

Motiviation at home isn't working. I am going to do revision at school at lunch, I have bought a notebook and am just going to copy EVERYTHING into it, but all pretty and colour coded :biggrin:
Original post by ElizM_94
Ahh well, with english lit, I only did one of the essays and an intro to the other one and ended up with a B so it's easier than thought! What books you doing? Also, what modules are you doing for socio and psycho? I can send you my revision notes if it's the same ones :smile: (I mean that in a completely non-patronising way!)

hey sorry to but in, but which sociology exam board did you do? I do aqa family and then education, and any help would be much appreciated! :smile:

oh and I have 9 exams, first 14th may and last 25th. So glad I don't have any on the same day! :')
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Athena_Laleak
I have 9, but someone in my year has 18! And my friend knows someone who has 24, because they are literally retaking everything

Motiviation at home isn't working. I am going to do revision at school at lunch, I have bought a notebook and am just going to copy EVERYTHING into it, but all pretty and colour coded :biggrin:

If I retook all my AS and A2 units (excluding the dropped AS) I will have only 14 exams :lol:
24 is extreme?! My school wouldn'tlet no-one do that
Reply 164
I have 9 exams, first one on the 24th may, last one on the 25th june. Still haven't started revising, I just can't motivate myself at all.
Reply 165
Original post by TaraBelle
hey sorry to but in, but which sociology exam board did you do? I do aqa family and then education, and any help would be much appreciated! :smile:

oh and I have 9 exams, first 14th may and last 25th. So glad I don't have any on the same day! :')

Ah I do AQA too :smile: I have my notes for education which are pretty detailed that I can give you! Send me your email and I'll email them to you :smile:
Ahh count yourself lucky! LOL My exams are 18, 19 and 20th :frown: LOL
:cheers:
aarrrrr matey, we'll aboard the failship together
Original post by Kravez
Just curious to see if I am the only one or not. I have a grand total of eight exams starting on the 15th of May. I also have to self teach two units before then which I have never looked at before.

Anyone else who hasn't started yet? (motivation seems to be my problem, not the difficulty of the work itself)

Well, my exams equal to a grand total of 14! Starting on 21st May:smile:
My revision is sort of on and off, motivation is also my problem!:cool:
You're really lucky to have only eight exams. I have to deal with 14 with NO study leave!:frown:
Reply 168
I have 7... not done much revision either!
Reply 169
hey, does anyone have AQA GCE biology unit 4 2012 paper? :smile: btw, im having a tough time with bio unit 4. The questions are rather annoying! >;/
Original post by Raj K
hi ..can you please tell me how you got your A for bio unit 4? i honestly worked hard for it but didnt get an A! how EXACTLY do you revise for it..even when i do past papers im confused lol it's just the type of questions they ask hate it! :/ please give me some tips???

No problem :smile: I started a couple of months before the exam and I hand wrote notes from the textbook. I wrote all of these notes in accordance with the specification (so I would aim to write notes for each point in the spec). I'd also write notes and try to remember the little bits in the textbook which most people thought we wouldn't have to no/aren't covered in that much detail such as urine/pregnancy testing and those little bits on the side if they were relvant because OCR often make questions out of tiny teeny bits of info in the book. I also made podcasts as I went along (more towards the end) and again made these on the basis of the specification and basically reworded the textbook. I also drew diagrams and outlined processes (e.g. action potential transmission) step by step. When the textbok doesn't make sense, look for a rewording in a book or internet to clarify things. I also made sure I could draw all the cycles by heart and understand what was going on.

Understanding is definitely the key point because you need to apply your knowledge. The of course, closer to the exam I did most of the OCR past papers and marked those, seeing where I had gone wrong (this is pretty important as the same points/marks are often recycled, apparently, and I could have benifited from learning the markscheme better). If you don't understand something, you need to find a way around it to do so.. So yeah, I mainly made notes, then podcasts then lectured myself/old teddies and mother etc..

If the past papers are confusing you, really hone in on them, look at marck schemes (once you've completed them, ofc) and think logically. Of course before you tackle multiple past papers, you should know your content to a fair degree that you'd feel okay answering questions on most areas :smile:
had 27 for my IGCSE's last year, but we took all exams at the end of two years :smile:
Original post by ElizM_94
Ah I do AQA too :smile: I have my notes for education which are pretty detailed that I can give you! Send me your email and I'll email them to you :smile:
Ahh count yourself lucky! LOL My exams are 18, 19 and 20th :frown: LOL

I pm'ed you :biggrin: thank you so much!

ooh that's horrible :frown: good luck!
Reply 173
No problem :smile: I started a couple of months before the exam and I hand wrote notes from the textbook. I wrote all of these notes in accordance with the specification (so I would aim to write notes for each point in the spec). I'd also write notes and try to remember the little bits in the textbook which most people thought we wouldn't have to no/aren't covered in that much detail such as urine/pregnancy testing and those little bits on the side if they were relvant because OCR often make questions out of tiny teeny bits of info in the book. I also made podcasts as I went along (more towards the end) and again made these on the basis of the specification and basically reworded the textbook. I also drew diagrams and outlined processes (e.g. action potential transmission) step by step. When the textbok doesn't make sense, look for a rewording in a book or internet to clarify things. I also made sure I could draw all the cycles by heart and understand what was going on.

Understanding is definitely the key point because you need to apply your knowledge. The of course, closer to the exam I did most of the OCR past papers and marked those, seeing where I had gone wrong (this is pretty important as the same points/marks are often recycled, apparently, and I could have benifited from learning the markscheme better). If you don't understand something, you need to find a way around it to do so.. So yeah, I mainly made notes, then podcasts then lectured myself/old teddies and mother etc..

If the past papers are confusing you, really hone in on them, look at marck schemes (once you've completed them, ofc) and think logically. Of course before you tackle multiple past papers, you should know your content to a fair degree that you'd feel okay answering questions on most areas :smile:

thanks a lot :biggrin:
Original post by kurdishboy94
what you studying for in uni and did you get into oxford if so congrats thats really good i hope you do get those grades because you have got into one of the most hardest uni's not in the UK but the World loool. yeah i haven't done any book work for my retakes mainly because i have done all of it and so really fixing on my exam papers, but you have a lot of work woow i hope you get your grades seeing that you are working that hard well done :smile:

I applied for biological sciences. And yeah, did get the offer from Oxford, thank you :smile:I don't think it's as hard as some people make it out to be though- my AS grades were AAABC after all, and the C is in a subject I need to get A/A* in for my offer :redface: So yeah, I really do hope I get the grades too :smile: Good idea, I think I should do more exam/question work for my retakes but so far I've just been recovering the syllabus! I did a past paper for chem 2 (just scraped an A :tongue:) but otherwise haven't been doing any past papers:tongue: Are you planning on doing any book work for your retakes?
I applied for biological sciences. And yeah, did get the offer from Oxford, thank you :smile:I don't think it's as hard as some people make it out to be though- my AS grades were AAABC after all, and the C is in a subject I need to get A/A* in for my offer :redface: So yeah, I really do hope I get the grades too :smile: Good idea, I think I should do more exam/question work for my retakes but so far I've just been recovering the syllabus! I did a past paper for chem 2 (just scraped an A :tongue:) but otherwise haven't been doing any past papers:tongue: Are you planning on doing any book work for your retakes?

i dont really do book word no not really every-time i retake i get an A in the retake mainly because i focus on paper alone and take down anything i get wrong and memorize it, so that really helps me push up my grade.
Original post by This Honest
If I retook all my AS and A2 units (excluding the dropped AS) I will have only 14 exams :lol:
24 is extreme?! My school wouldn'tlet no-one do that

This is just GCSE, so theres more subjects :smile::smile:
Original post by Athena_Laleak
This is just GCSE, so theres more subjects :smile::smile:

Ahhhhh :colondollar:
Makes sense, I had no modular exams when I was in GCSE apart from science.
Reply 178
Original post by Puloot
hey, does anyone have AQA GCE biology unit 4 2012 paper? :smile: btw, im having a tough time with bio unit 4. The questions are rather annoying! >;/

Could u P.M me your email add please as the file is too big to upload
Original post by Kravez
Just curious to see if I am the only one or not. I have a grand total of eight exams starting on the 15th of May. I also have to self teach two units before then which I have never looked at before.

Anyone else who hasn't started yet? (motivation seems to be my problem, not the difficulty of the work itself)

I have 19 exams in 3 weeks upto june and I haven't done anything either :/

Quick Reply