The Student Room Group

Hillsborough 15th April 1989 remembered

Today is the 23rd anniversary of the deaths of 96 people at Hillsborough.

I thought I should create a thread for anyone who wishes to for contributions and thoughts.

May the 96 people rest in peace and one day their families and friends have justice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
RIP to the 96 who never came home.

Everton laid a wreath at the Hillsborough memorial last night, very classy. Some things are more important than football.

Justice for the 96
Reply 2
People who negged, jesus. What idiots.

RIP to the 96 who never made it home.
Reply 3
Rest In Peace.
I hope their souls are at peace.
Reply 5
I would like to know who negged that post. Terrible. RIP to all the 96.
Reply 6
Gone, never forgotten. JFT96.
Glad Liverpool held a minute silence in Anfield. RIP.
Disrespectful at the FA Cup Semi Final. Minority always ruin footballs reputation.

RIP to the 96
Reply 9
RIP to the 96.
CXCXX
Reply 11

:emo:
Rest in peace to the 96.
Shameful behaviour by those fans that didn't respect the minutes silence.
Reply 13
Rest in Peace. JFT96.
As I am a mature student I am old enough to remember the day, and how whilst watching a game (almost all games were 3pm kick offs then), we knew very little other than at half time when the scores were announced and that the game had been delayed. It was only on the car journey home that the full horror of what had happened became known.

In my hope and wish for justice for the 96 and their families, there has always been the feeling in my mind that had it been a different police force, things might have been very different.
I revive this thread as the 31st anniversary is on Wednesday. There was an intention to hold the final memorial event, but I expect that will be on the 32nd anniversary in 2021.
Original post by barnetlad
Today is the 23rd anniversary of the deaths of 96 people at Hillsborough.

I thought I should create a thread for anyone who wishes to for contributions and thoughts.

May the 96 people rest in peace and one day their families and friends have justice.

Was it about an FA Cup match in which the stage of the stadium shattered and crushed on the fans? if so I know what happened. Very sad.

May the victims remembered forever!
Reply 17
Original post by Kallisto
Was it about an FA Cup match in which the stage of the stadium shattered and crushed on the fans? if so I know what happened. Very sad.

FA Cup game, yes, but don't know what incident you're describing. At Hillsborough it was decided to open a large external gate that would normally be used for fans to exit to allow access to a terraced stand; this was to try and ease the pressure on the crowds outside, rather than waiting for everyone go through turnstiles. The terrace was divided into pens and fans walked into wherever they wanted, so areas got overcrowded and people were killed in the crush.
Original post by Kallisto

You're thinking about, I think, Heysel.
Original post by Drewski
You're thinking about, I think, Heysel.

Nope, that was the Champions League final in 1985, but this is 35 years ago soon. Short before I was born and should be remembered too.

Original post by Surnia
FA Cup game, yes, but don't know what incident you're describing. At Hillsborough it was decided to open a large external gate that would normally be used for fans to exit to allow access to a terraced stand; this was to try and ease the pressure on the crowds outside, rather than waiting for everyone go through turnstiles. The terrace was divided into pens and fans walked into wherever they wanted, so areas got overcrowded and people were killed in the crush.

Okay, maybe it was a bit different as I had in my mind, but it was the match I remembered: Sheffield vs Liverpool in semi-final. A long time ago I read about this match, but never forgotten.

Quick Reply

Latest