The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rf17
Is Liberty House (St John Street) still a nominated residence by KCL?
Is it still available to apply to and rank through KCL's application program?

Thank you

Hi rf17

Thanks for your message; I'm afraid Liberty House, St John Street, is no longer a nominated residence for King's. However we have have a new nominated residence called Moonraker Point: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/accom/kings/nominated/unite.aspx

Liberty Living (which runs Liberty House and Liberty Fields) does still provide accommodation for students, but not through King's. Therefore if you are still interested in living there you need to apply directly to Liberty Living. More details re Liberty Living are on our website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/accom/kings/nominated/liberty.aspx

I hope this helps :smile:

Fran
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 561
Where exactly is Moonraker? on KCL's website is says 17 Suffolk Street but Unite says that it is on 60 smth Suffolk Street. On 17 Suffolk street there is another Unite building...
Original post by AceS4
Where exactly is Moonraker? on KCL's website is says 17 Suffolk Street but Unite says that it is on 60 smth Suffolk Street. On 17 Suffolk street there is another Unite building...

Hi AceS4,

Just checked in with our Accommodation Office and to clarify the address for Moonraker Point is: 61-63 Great Suffolk Street, London, SE1 0BU. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/accom/kings/nominated/unite.aspx

Hope this helps! :smile:

Fran
Reply 563
Original post by King’s College London
Hi AceS4,

Just checked in with our Accommodation Office and to clarify the address for Moonraker Point is: 61-63 Great Suffolk Street, London, SE1 0BU. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/accom/kings/nominated/unite.aspx

Hope this helps! :smile:

Fran

Thank you!!!

If I am allocated a place at Moonraker can I give it up?
Original post by AceS4
Thank you!!!

If I am allocated a place at Moonraker can I give it up?

Yep, you rank it alongside the other King's residences and the intercollegiate halls, so it works in exactly the same way. But as I said before, think carefully before you turn it down! :smile:
Reply 565
How do I apply for accommodation at Intercollegiate Halls?
Reply 566
I want the King's representatives to check the link below and answer about the authenticity of this question/information.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1970130
i do not believe in it personally. I am planning to attend the course of MS in Mobile and Personal communications 2012/13 so it is directly related to my future career/life. if it is a rumor, you should report to close the thread. But in case it has some substance kindly explain it in detail. I am worried now.
regards
Hello!

Im thinking about accepting an offer for BA War Studies and am worried about accommodation. I will be applying on monday and wanted to know if it was possible to switch if you are placed in a house you don't like. The degree is taught at the strand so I was looking at brian creamer house (which I think is the one opposite parliament) and i don't want to get stuck in kings college hall or someplace farther away. Also, are places assigned as they come in or just automatically done on results day, as I'm worried i have left it too late.

thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 568
Is there any way of ordering a physical copy of the 2013 prospectus or do you only offer the online variations? Thanks
I have just noticed that all intercollegiate halls are catered - I am vegetarian for religious reasons, but I understand that this would not be considered on the kcl personal statement form, is there any way this would be taken into consideration as I think that I would be very limited if I got an offer for catered accomodation?
Original post by AceS4
How do I apply for accommodation at Intercollegiate Halls?

Hi AceS4

You rank intercollegiate halls alongside King's residences i.e. in the same application form. So if you are very keen on staying in intercollegiate halls I would suggest you rank those at the top of your application.

Hope this helps :smile:

Fran
Original post by PenningtonTDA
What are my chances of getting into Brian Creamer House if I put it as my first choice? Is it generally competitive for places?

Thanks
TP

Hi PenningtonTDA

Thanks for your message. Obviously if you put Brian Creamer House at the top then that'll help your chances of getting a place there, but obviously we can't make any guarantees that you will definitely get a place there. Brian Creamer is a popular choice, but that goes for most of our accommodation really, as we are always oversubscribed! Therefore, I would say put Brian Creamer House at the top of your choices and keep your fingers crossed!

Fran :smile:
Original post by maxcartwright
Hello!

Im thinking about accepting an offer for BA War Studies and am worried about accommodation. I will be applying on monday and wanted to know if it was possible to switch if you are placed in a house you don't like. The degree is taught at the strand so I was looking at brian creamer house (which I think is the one opposite parliament) and i don't want to get stuck in kings college hall or someplace farther away. Also, are places assigned as they come in or just automatically done on results day, as I'm worried i have left it too late.

thanks

Hi maxcartwright,

Thanks for your message.

Basically accommodation is allocated by random computerised ballot after A Level results day, therefore no UG students are allocated accommodation before then. So, you definitely haven't left it too late! In fact the deadline for accommodation is actually 30 June so you have plenty of time to consider your choices thoroughly, and taking time to think about it won't effect your position (as long as you get your application in by 30 June).

In terms of choices of accommodation and location; if you really don't want to be placed in accommodation further away from the Strand then it may not be a good idea to rank them as one of your choices. The reason I say this is because if you end up being offered a place in accommodation where you don't like the location, if you turn it down you therefore won't be able to have another place in a different hall of residence i.e. you can't 'switch' after you have been allocated a place in halls so you do need to think carefully about your choices before you submit them.

If you would like to talk through your options I would advise that you get in touch with the Accommodation Office directly and they can help you through the choices: (0)20 7848 2759

Fran
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
I have just noticed that all intercollegiate halls are catered - I am vegetarian for religious reasons, but I understand that this would not be considered on the kcl personal statement form, is there any way this would be taken into consideration as I think that I would be very limited if I got an offer for catered accomodation?

Hi <3 inbetweener =D

Thanks for your message; all intercollegiate halls do offer vegetarian (and sometimes vegan) options for meals so there will be vegetarian food on offer but obviously, without knowing your specific dietary requirements, this may still limit you. Have you considered applying for King's accommodation? All of King's accommodation is self catered so you would be able to cook and prepare food that is suitable for you.

If this isn't an option for you, I would advise that you contact the Accommodation Office to discuss whether intercollegiate halls are able to cater for your specific circumstances: (0)20 7848 2759

Fran
Original post by King’s College London
Hi <3 inbetweener =D

Thanks for your message; all intercollegiate halls do offer vegetarian (and sometimes vegan) options for meals so there will be vegetarian food on offer but obviously, without knowing your specific dietary requirements, this may still limit you. Have you considered applying for King's accommodation? All of King's accommodation is self catered so you would be able to cook and prepare food that is suitable for you.

If this isn't an option for you, I would advise that you contact the Accommodation Office to discuss whether intercollegiate halls are able to cater for your specific circumstances: (0)20 7848 2759

Fran

Yes I was planning on applying for KCL accomodation as I did really want to be catered, but I understand that on the accomodation application form I'd still have to rank intercollegiate halls and therefore I would still have a chance of getting them? (Or am I wrong and can I avoid any chance of being allocated them altogether?)
Original post by Kieran?
Is there any way of ordering a physical copy of the 2013 prospectus or do you only offer the online variations? Thanks

Hi Kieran?

Generally we do encourage people to access the online version of the prospectus as its a bit more environmentally friendly and has added extras such as multimedia etc. However if you would prefer a hard copy of the prospectus please contact The Compass (our student services centre) and they will take your details and send you a copy: 020 7848 7000

Fran
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
Yes I was planning on applying for KCL accomodation as I did really want to be catered, but I understand that on the accomodation application form I'd still have to rank intercollegiate halls and therefore I would still have a chance of getting them? (Or am I wrong and can I avoid any chance of being allocated them altogether?)

Hi <3 inbetweener =D

You don't have to rank the intercollegiate halls; however if you don't rank them and don't get your preferred choices then you may be offered a place in the intercollegiate halls as your 'next preferred choice'. So that means that there is a chance you could be allocated a place in intercollegiate halls. I would advise talking through your options with the Accommodation Office as they will be best placed to advise you in more detail about what would be the best thing for you to do: (0)20 7848 2759

Original post by Ammad Ali
I want the King's representatives to check the link below and answer about the authenticity of this question/information.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1970130
i do not believe in it personally. I am planning to attend the course of MS in Mobile and Personal communications 2012/13 so it is directly related to my future career/life. if it is a rumor, you should report to close the thread. But in case it has some substance kindly explain it in detail. I am worried now.
regards

Hi Ammad Ali,

Thanks for your message; I just wanted to get in touch to say that I am looking into your query and will get back to you as soon as possible with some more information.

Hi :smile: this is a very different question, but seeing as I'm extremely nervous about moving to London.. how sociable is KCL? Because so many people have said that London has a very lonely feel.. :/ Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 579
Original post by Bubbles94
Hi :smile: this is a very different question, but seeing as I'm extremely nervous about moving to London.. how sociable is KCL? Because so many people have said that London has a very lonely feel.. :/ Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!

I understand your concern, as I had had the same thoughts before coming to King's. After all, London is so huge...and King's is also quite big. I might just get lost among all the people and no one would recognise me...well, this could not be further from the truth.

As a first year student at King's, I have never in my life been more busy doing things, hanging out with friends, going to events with classmates, etc.
There is so much to do in London - and if you are at King's, you will have the friends with whom you can make the most of it. King's student union is great, they have tons of clubs and societies which you can easily join and make friends instantly - but you will surely make friends from your course and also from your hall (if you live in a hall). Do sign up for all kinds of things at the fresher's fair and do go to the first meetings if you are interested. At KCL, there is a society for everything.

Just try and come here with an open mind and be ready to make tons of friends! Arrive maybe a bit early, go to the orientation and/or freshers week activities, keep introducing yourself to everyone around you in the first weeks, and you will end up with great people as your friends.

I can guarantee you that after a month, you will be overwhelmed by the amount of people you met and the amount of things you did together. These are going to be the best years of your life and you will never in your life meet as many new people and make as many new friends as you will during your first year.

King's is ridiculously social. I have a class of about 200 students and I rarely see people sitting on their own in lectures - and even if they do, they might just be trying to take a break from friends and listen to the professor:biggrin: So an advice that might come handy once you are here: Don't forget to study too!:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest