The Student Room Group

What cities have as good/better nightlife than manchester with similar population?

So I graduated from manchester 4 years or so ago and have stayed here.

I've been here for around hmm 8 years that makes it now. I had sort of taken it for granted this was where I wanted to stay but recently I've been thinking I might be wanting a change. My main reason for staying in the past has been that I love the size and the accent but the accent thing alone isnt enough though the size thing is quite the issue.

I work from home on the internet so nothing really ties me to manchester.

Only city recommendations within the UK please.

I am very much the nightowl so the main criteria is that the other city must be the same sort of prices for city centre living (I want walking distance to the clubs) and have an equal or better nightlife/overall sort of size. Currently I pay 550 p/m. This puts London out of the equation since city centre living would be just tooooo tooo much and commuting via tram really creeps me out and I generally hate public transport.

Manchester city size is just the right size for me but when I did some checking on city sizes its rather misleading. We see manc itself as a poultry 500k or so residents. Im from bristol originally and recall that is of similar size but certainly as I remember didnt have the same sort of sizemic feel of manchester. I didnt go out too much back then except weekends so couldnt really comment on nightlife.

This makes many other cities the same size or bigger but when we take greater manchester into the equation it is boosted to a meaty 2.2million. Im sure this must contribute to alot of the nightlife and overall population who come through central manchester so Im wondering what other cities would come close to that while still being affordable to live in the city centre given above-stated prices.

Now of course sheer population isnt the only factor which entails good nightlife and one of the reasons I had been contemplating a move is that even with its combined size manc seems to pale in comparison nightlife wise to what it used to be when I 1st came to uni. Many many of the clubs I used to favour have now closed and whole streets of bars closed down. I am not sure why this is but I suspect credit crunch...any ideas? I am wondering if other cities have fared better in this regard. Even so there are still clubnights on with a good enough share of ppl nearly every night of the week. That would be my main criteria for another city plus the living arrangements thing.

So recommendations please.

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A population of 500k isn't "poulty". It's very sizeable.

Newcastle would be the usual suspect. Frequently listed as the top party city in the UK and one of the top in both Europe and the world, it is famed for ts nightlife. Its nightlife was voted the UK's number one tourist attraction by Lonely Planet(?) A bit baffling in my opinion as there are many better things about Newcastle and the UK in my opinion but there we go.

Its population is 320,000 or so but this is misleading as the population of Tyneside is the best part of a million. Added to this Newcastle's popularity as a nightlife destination brings in people from across the region and country every weekend. On a Friday night trains are frequently packed with people travelling from Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds and "down south".

Its clubbing scene arguably matches Manchester's at the very least. Although it has a vibrant music scene, with plenty independent bands, it probably doesn't offer the number of small medium size venues that Manchester offers (or did offer five or so years ago) although it still has a good number in the city centre and Ouseburn area (a former industrial area to the east of the city centre which has experience regeneration and his a "creative" area with a couple of good music venues and also popular with artists.

It also has late night shopping in the city centre now, which is something some other cities don't have, and this has helped keep people in the city centre between those hours of finishing work and going out later, or encouraged those who otherwise would just stay home to come out, and this has provided a boost to the city centre economy.

But, really, I think any other large city (Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol, Edinburgh) will provide sufficient entertainment.
Reply 2
Only Glasgow and Birmingham probably offer a true size comparison. Birmingham's regeneration has been pretty impressive in the centre in my opinion, can't speak for Glasgow.

Otherwise places like Leeds, Liverpool, Bristol, Newcastle are still pretty big and offer a good night out.
Reply 3
I was looking at equal 'conurban' areas ie like manchester including suburbs and found that leeds is 1.4 millions which comes closer including its suburbs tho i dont know much about what its like and if it really feels as big as manc.

ive only been out there once or maybe twice and dont recall anyhting conclusively to say.
Reply 4
Original post by Harambulus
I was looking at equal 'conurban' areas ie like manchester including suburbs and found that leeds is 1.4 millions which comes closer including its suburbs tho i dont know much about what its like and if it really feels as big as manc.

ive only been out there once or maybe twice and dont recall anyhting conclusively to say.

I'm from Leeds and would say it does feel smaller than Manc, only similar feel I've had to Manc is Birmingham, but this could be because it kind of sprawls to the North (the city centre is actually close to the South of the city) and has a lot of green space whereas Manchester's more compact. It certainly feels big. It's got a slightly different atmosphere to Manchester, as it has a big young professional population from the financial and legal sectors which are very big there (second to London). It's only an hour on the train, if that, so if you've got any mates there just go and visit.
Reply 5
I'd say Liverpool would be a good bet. Good city for night life and culture. It's also within easy distance of Manchester so if you're fond of Manchester is a good bet. Although it does feel quite a lot smaller than Manchester.

I think Manchester feels so big because not only have you got Manchester but you have Salford, Bolton, Wigan, Preston, Liverpool and other large towns close by. As well as this it's a big business centre, which I suppose the most similar place I can think of in terms of this is Birmingham, although I don't really know Birmingham well at all.
Reply 6

Do you also mean "big" in terms of area as well as population, then? I don't know if you've visted Newcastle's but, if not, its city centre is very compact. You can walk from the train station and, by 30 minutes or so, you're out into open parks and land (don't know many "big" cities that have cows grazing so close to the city centre :p: ). So in this sense it doesn't feel "big" but I don't think this is a bad thing. Being compact it means it's reasier to naviage and get around on a night out. It also still offers what most larger cities do, with one of the largest city centre shopping centres in the country in Eldon Square, and one of the largest out of town shopping centres in Europe (the Metrocentre) nearby as well as, in my opinion, enough bars and clubs.

It's quite similar to Cardiff in that respect. I've never visited cities with such compact city centres as Newcastle and Cardiff, at least not in the UK.

Plus, not that I'm pushing Newcastle or anything, but you're near the beach! Tynemouth offers some good surfing.
Reply 7
some informative replies here cheers.

ye i was not tlakign about sheer size as I dont care too much since I never leave the city centre anyhow :biggrin: was just thinking in terms of the throughput of new ppl through the city centre.

birmingham seems like a good one then. wonder how city centre prices compare.

Newcastle doesnt appeal to me really.

manchester is ideal sizewise for me really so im gonna play it by ear for now and see how things perculate but its nice to contemplate my options for future ref.
Reply 8

But there's a reason why it's been rated by a firm of American travel agents as one of the top cities in the world to work or study in :frown: And it's beautiful (and cheap..ish) too

Spoiler

Ah, fair enough, I'm personally quite an enthusiast, and quite proud of, all our cities so hopeful Birmingham will suit you. Might well be a good choice, reasonably proximity from Manchester and London, and is a large size. I don't have a great deal of experience with Birmingham myself but haved enjoyed its open areas and redeveloped areas whenever I've visited. I seem to remember rents being rather hefty when I last looked around, that was at the height of the recession. I just look around at typical rents costs in various cities for fun :yep:

Are you aware of UpMyStreet? You may be able to ask about rent prices and other things there, too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
some informative replies here cheers.

ye i was not tlakign about sheer size as I dont care too much since I never leave the city centre anyhow :biggrin: was just thinking in terms of the throughput of new ppl through the city centre.

birmingham seems like a good one then. wonder how city centre prices compare.

manchester is ideal sizewise for me really so im gonna play it by ear for now and see how things perculate but its nice to contemplate my options for future ref.

Much as I am all for Leeds in every way possible, I have to say that the city centre living in Birmingham (around the Jewllery Quarter and, even more so for someone who goes out a lot, down by the canals next to Broad Street, the Mailbox, Brindley Place sort of area).
Reply 10
leeds
bristol
sheffield
nottingham
newcastle
Reply 11
I'd suggest Newcastle, Leeds or Liverpool.
Newcastle and Leeds. Live in either place for the student feel and large populations plus clubs and bars.

City centre living which is probably cheaper than manchester and prices are the same for food etc.

Sheffield is close and then there is Nottingham further down so you can pop down those places for parties.
Reply 13
Plymouth
Glasgow has a great club scene, and it's pretty big.
Reply 15
Oh ye I'd forgot to say I would want a really great student scene so leeds sounds in enticing.

It has been mentioned young professional scene is big in birmingham. I guess I should give that more of a try since Im going on 30 now :biggrin: but I still love my student scene if only to hang out in the areas and chill out for the carefree attitude but I worry about what Ill do when my student card finally turns to dust :biggrin:.

I like options tho and the more the better.

Anyhow what is the brum student scene like? I know manchester is known as a 'student city' but not sure if it is above others? I imagine brum is big everything?

Both my cousins are from there so Ill have to get in touch with them at some point to get the lowdown.

Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Newcastle and Leeds. Live in either place for the student feel and large populations plus clubs and bars.

City centre living which is probably cheaper than manchester and prices are the same for food etc.

Sheffield is close and then there is Nottingham further down so you can pop down those places for parties.
Reply 16
Oh ye I'd forgot to say I would want a really great student scene so leeds sounds in enticing.

It has been mentioned young professional scene is big in birmingham. I guess I should give that more of a try since Im going on 30 now :biggrin: but I still love my student scene if only to hang out in the areas and chill out for the carefree attitude but I worry about what Ill do when my student card finally turns to dust :biggrin:.

I like options tho and the more the better.

Anyhow what is the brum student scene like? I know manchester is known as a 'student city' but not sure if it is above others? I imagine brum is big everything?

Both my cousins are from there so Ill have to get in touch with them at some point to get the lowdown.

Brum's got 3 unis (Birmingham itself, BCU and Aston) plus conservatoire, food college etc. so there's a decent student scene. Although the biggest concentration of students is out in Edgbaston and Selly Oak, the uni, rather than in the city centre. I'm at Leicester uni and we go to Birmingham for nights out, can't really compare to Leeds' student scene as I've only ever crashed their freshers which isn't really a fair comparison.

Gatecrasher effectively has 2 student nights a week, though Oceana's shut now. Post in the the Birmingham Unis forum for detail about the nightlife.

Sure your cousins will be able to help!
Reply 17
Oh ye didnt think of posting in the specific forums, I can hone in a bit now I have a better idea of specific cities.

Man oceana I know too be an awesome club from the one that I've been to in bristol. Too bad its closed. Those are the types of spots I like tho, good ol meat markets so I trust there will be others of its ilk.

Im planning to take a daytrip at some point to get a feel for the place tho that wont give me an idea of the nightlife, no rush tho.
Reply 18
Changed my mind agina now thinking about leeds as 1st choice :biggrin: to stay up north. Has good population so I see (1.4 mil connurban area) and apparently good student pop of 45k vs manc's 55k.

I saw it quoted as high as 200k for leeds but I think that is taking too much into account like college kids and such.
Reply 19
Changed my mind agina now thinking about leeds as 1st choice :biggrin: to stay up north. Has good population so I see (1.4 mil connurban area) and apparently good student pop of 45k vs manc's 55k.

I saw it quoted as high as 200k for leeds but I think that is taking too much into account like college kids and such.

Out of interest, what is it about Newcastle that doesn't interest you? This isn't to say Leeds isn't equally as good a choice and it is your choice in the end, I'm just curious as it is well rated for its nighlife and probably offers the best in terms of cost of living (though accomodation in areas like Jesmond is getting more and more expensive).

Quick Reply

Latest