The Student Room Group

Mature Students Applying for University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Any mature students yet to hear from KCL for biomed yet?
Reply 1001
Original post by sarahoo
Hi all!
I'm a mature student at 27 and excited to be starting uni in September.

I've applied to:

BA Film Studies and BA English & Film Studies at Queen Mary
BA Film & Television at Uni of Arts, London: London College of Communication
and
BA Film Studies at Greenwich and LSBU

I've got unconditional for all but QMUL, haven't heard back from them yet, but I did get asked to do a written exercise for the English & Film course, which I submitted last Friday. QMUL is my top choice, so I'm waiting anxiously to hear back from them!

My friend's in her 3rd year at QMUL studying film, she loves it and says its a super course.
Best of luck!
I ended up receiving five conditional offers:biggrin:. I highly recommend studying an Access course to any mature students who believe entering higher education and bettering themselves is nothing more than a pipe dream, because that is exactly how I felt and I was terribly pessimistic but Access has changed things completely!

It is an intensive course and requires alot of self motivation(alot of self research and study is required) and there will be times when you will feel like throwing in the towel, when you have the assignments, presentations and reports all piling up and you have an exam to revise for but stick with it-it WILL get you into university! Forget about your previous qualifications(or lack of); there are students on my Access course who had no previous qualifications whatsoever, due to one reason or another but are receiving straight distinctions for all of their assignments and have already received offers from uni/s.

I have firmed Kent, to study History and Politics btw:smile:
Its so fantastic to see everyone getting so many offers! See, us mature students aren't done for yet!

I'm applying to study paramedic science at Birmingham City University, Coventry and Staffordshire.

I've been rejected from Coventry, but I'm on the reserve list for Staffordshire! (20 places, 6/7 reserves)

BCU are yet to be approved by the HPC, but fingers crossed I'll get an interview in the next couple of months.

I did an Access course too, and although currently drowning in the myre of assignments, am loving every minute. Fingers crossed it gets me where I need to be :smile:
So I'm finally gettings some offers after waiting so long.

I've been rejected by Cambridge, it was a long shot but I thought if didn't try once, I would forever wonder.

I have 3 conditional offers so far (ranked in order of favour):

York
Sussex
Lancaster

My top choice of these is York, with a great new law course. I've got to get a distinction overall in my Certificate in Legal Methods course which is definitely achievable.

I'm still waiting on Queen Mary. If I get an off from QM, I'd be extremely tempted to take them as my first choice, I love York though.

Well done to everyone gettings offer and commiserations to those who haven't got quite what they wanted this time, we can only do but try, and try again.
Reply 1005
I got four conditional offers and will be going to Brighton to study pharmacy off the back of my access course.

Can't really believe it, this time last year going to university was a silly fantasy, now it is a reality.
Not sure if this is the right place, but wondered if anyone could answer my rather ignorant question...

If I were to apply, say to Manchester, to study history which has entry requirements of AAA (A Level route) AND Ancient History which has entry requirements of ABB; would they look at both courses on their own merit, or would they see I have applied to 2 very similar courses and only offer me the course with the lowest offer? Realistically I mean, even in your opinion (I hope that made sense).

I am looking at what Universities I would like to apply to next year & I am, unfortunately, limited to where I can study. I want to read history and will be applying for this with 4 universities (including Manchester), but there is no 5th option available to me, no universities that teach what I am looking for; my interests. I would much rather study Ancient History at Manchester than a history degree that has little interest to me.

I am worried that if I apply for both then I may harm my chances of getting into the one I really want :rolleyes:
Original post by sweetiepie82
Not sure if this is the right place, but wondered if anyone could answer my rather ignorant question...

If I were to apply, say to Manchester, to study history which has entry requirements of AAA (A Level route) AND Ancient History which has entry requirements of ABB; would they look at both courses on their own merit, or would they see I have applied to 2 very similar courses and only offer me the course with the lowest offer? Realistically I mean, even in your opinion (I hope that made sense).

I am looking at what Universities I would like to apply to next year & I am, unfortunately, limited to where I can study. I want to read history and will be applying for this with 4 universities (including Manchester), but there is no 5th option available to me, no universities that teach what I am looking for; my interests. I would much rather study Ancient History at Manchester than a history degree that has little interest to me.

I am worried that if I apply for both then I may harm my chances of getting into the one I really want :rolleyes:

Edit: just checked. Some reported having two offers for two courses from Edingurgh as well.

It is not uncommon to apply for multiple courses at one institution, especially if the student is geographically constrained as I know you are from other posts.

There are people currently holding offers from a university for more than one course, certainly true at the one I will go to. The most extreme example I saw was a young woman on Yougo who applied for 5 archaeology & x courses at Trinity St. David and had 5 offers. :confused:

I have also seen people stating that they have offers for the straight 3 year course and the 4 year with foundation version from the same Uni. The instance that springs to mind was at Wolverhampton.

I would ring them up and ask, what their position is, as some Universities might have a particular stance. But given your geographic constraint and the fact that the standard offers are different I would go for it and apply for both.

Good luck
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sweetiepie82

I'm guessing you'll be applying as a mature student and therefore your entry requirements will be different, just so you know what to aim for I received a conditional for History at Manchester and they want 30 points at distinction 15 of which are from History and 15 from a humanities subject and the rest at merit. Hope this makes sense to you if not let me know and ill try and be a little clearer, just so you know what to aim for in your Access course.
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
I ended up receiving five conditional offers:biggrin:. I highly recommend studying an Access course to any mature students who believe entering higher education and bettering themselves is nothing more than a pipe dream, because that is exactly how I felt and I was terribly pessimistic but Access has changed things completely!

It is an intensive course and requires alot of self motivation(alot of self research and study is required) and there will be times when you will feel like throwing in the towel, when you have the assignments, presentations and reports all piling up and you have an exam to revise for but stick with it-it WILL get you into university! Forget about your previous qualifications(or lack of); there are students on my Access course who had no previous qualifications whatsoever, due to one reason or another but are receiving straight distinctions for all of their assignments and have already received offers from uni/s.

I have firmed Kent, to study History and Politics btw:smile:

I too am doing an access course and I agree it is intensive and definitly requires commitment. It is well worth the effort I had had interviews for all my choices and an offer from one. I am applying to study an Adult Nursing Degree, I will get my dream job!!! :smile:
I feel much more of a confident person thanks to access!
Reply 1010
Finally got all my replies.
LJMU - Conditional (Declined)
NTU - Conditional (Insurance)
Hertfordshire - Conditional (Firm)
Sussex - Unsuccessful
Edinburgh - Unsuccessful

I was quite bummed about Sussex as it would have been my insurance, Edinburgh was just a place filler.

Firmed Hertfordshire for astrophysics, I originally needed full merits but my unit 1 grades were 9 D, 9 M and 9 P (pass in maths as I zone out because I despise my lecturer). Hertfordshire admissions said they were impressed with my physics knowledge and reasons to study at their university so they dropped my offer to just pass my access course, my gift of blagging interviews etc came in handy in that 1.

So yeah, if I don't crumble in my exams (which will 90% happen) I'll be doing astrophysics at Hertfordshire.
Hi guys!!
I just firmed an unconditional from Glasgow!!
I'm so excited about it!!!
Anyone going there in September? :smile:
Hi all you fellow oldies (Im 27, but apparently extremely old in comparison to the teens! How I got to this age, im still unsure)

I have been accepted on a Foundation Degree in North Devon, and to complete my final year in Plymouth. I will be studying Health and Social Care. I would like to go on to a Clinical Management role in the NHS, there after, to may need to do a Pg cert or MA in Management (how will I afford that I dont know).

Really I just wanted to introduce myself, and ask you to feel free to add me. I only have my GCSES, no A levels and no Access course. Just got on the course through my own merit, life experience and having worked in an office since leaving school. I feel that being a mature student, is possibly the best position to be in. I know for sure that I want it alot more than maybe a 18 year old might, and will come out with better marks then I would of 10 years ago.

Grace x
Original post by evening sunrise
Many thanks. Good luck with yours too. I was googling about Vet and Dr courses through access / foundation, for my daughter. I found plenty of success stories for 40 plus, including one who now had a successful Vet practise.

All the best.

Hi, Sorry for the delay but its been a crazy few months and I honestly dont know where the time has gone.
I got an offer from Keele which is the one I have wanted all along!
Yeah the access courses are pretty successful, but its what you put into it!
in my access there was 2 medicine, 1 dentist and a vet who all got offers....
there were also pharmacy, chemist and bio chemist. Everyone in our group got offers so if your daughter is interested then its well worth going for, but apply soon as as all places are usually filled by end of April!! thankyou for your kind words! :smile:
Sweetiepie

I applied for 4 courses at Chester, a combination of English and (something). I received 4 unconditional offers :smile:

Yes you can definitely apply for more than one course, and yes they will take on board the requirements of each course.

Isn't it exciting now it's only a few months away x
Original post by Emelynaki
Hi guys!!
I just firmed an unconditional from Glasgow!!
I'm so excited about it!!!
Anyone going there in September? :smile:

I'm not sure yet, Ive been given a offer which is easy to attain but I have an offer for York, Manchester and I'm still waiting to hear from Edinburgh. Ideally Edinburgh would be my firm and then a battle for insurance Glasgow and York. grrr I never though going to uni was possible for me, now I'm have problems picking one
Reply 1016
Has anyone had an interview for English BA? Any tips on what I should read up on? Would be very grateful for any advice!

Thanks!!
Age 26, applied for BA History/Politics. Offers from; York, Leicester, Queens Belfast and Uni of Notts. Firmed York and have nearly got enough distinctions, and will get them :biggrin:
finally heard back from one of my uni's (tho one still pending) and i have an offer to do Social Work! quite relieved, since i only had two options left on UCAS due to my own mentalism.

conditions are that i pass my course which is fantastic, i do have to say lolol...it has totally taken the pressure off! mind u, selection process is stressy enuff so i'll take the conditions, tyvm :tongue:

due to my personal experiences here's a few hints for anyone out there that reads this and is heading for study in 2013;

if u have an idea of what u want to do at uni, ring admissions of the uni's u are interested in and ENSURE they accept your particular qualification. i made an assumption that because 5 uni's i spoke to did accept Access, the 6th would too. as it happens, uni of glasgow did accept Access but did not accept my particular strand of access. not their fault since they prefer generic programmes of study (an Access to HE for example) and entirely mine for not clarifying and realising that my access course is/was too specific (an Access to Social Work).

pls GOD when u come to UCAS time make your choices carefully (lol) - and it comes fast when u start your course, so start researching and KNOW where u wanna head - i researched but, turns out not enuff due to the following points;

if u are applying for a competitive degree, make sure to have alternative routes on your UCAS into your preferred career (ie in my case, it would have been any social science degree followed by a postgrad in SW);

if u are considering social work or any of the human services/social care, get that placement started NOW;

if u are undecided on institutions be unafraid to leave a choice (or two!) blank on UCAS. this means u can add other institutions and courses later. or instead, have two degree programmes from the same place (tho bear in mind it will need to be reflected on your PS as to why) ie, i applied for both social science and social work at the same uni. this only applies to those that may wanna get into particular institutions tho;

(this really does happen) - it is possible that u change your mind as to the subject u enjoy. example. i went on the course fully revved up for social work. fell in love with social policy tho (yeah that sounds sad. live with it! :tongue:) tried to get a social policy place and nearly considered changing from social work to social policy, which is when i contacted uni of glasgow and learnt my quals were not acceptable, despite being on straight distinctions (galling, to say the least!). sometimes, no matter how much u think u want to do something, doubts can occur. as it happens i changed my mind back, but, beware that over the course of nine months, things can change :smile: - so by leaving blanks, it gives you room to chop and change without stressing yourself. the number of uni's i spoke with willing to accept me and that asked me to apply thru UCAS and i couldn't because i had used up all my choices, caused me no end of stress.

PS = Personal Statement - final hint - start that personal statement asap - yes, i mean now lol...believe it or not it will help take the pressure off u later when UCAS time comes. most people in my group struggled to get a workable first draft and felt the pressure as the deadline fast approached and UCAS opened.

hope the above helps and saves someone from unnecessary stress when it's their time :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ashtoreth
finally heard back from one of my uni's (tho one still pending) and i have an offer to do Social Work! quite relieved, since i only had two options left on UCAS due to my own mentalism.

conditions are that i pass my course which is fantastic, i do have to say lolol...it has totally taken the pressure off! mind u, selection process is stressy enuff so i'll take the conditions, tyvm :tongue:

due to my personal experiences here's a few hints for anyone out there that reads this and is heading for study in 2013;

if u have an idea of what u want to do at uni, ring admissions of that uni and ENSURE they accept your particular qualification. i made an assumption that because 5 uni's i spoke to did accept Access, the 6th would too. as it happens, uni of glasgow did accept Access but did not accept my particular strand of access. not their fault since they prefer generic programmes of study (an Access to HE for example) and entirely mine for not clarifying and realising that my access course is/was too specific (an Access to Social Work).

pls GOD when u come to UCAS time make your choices carefully (lol) - and it comes fast when u start your course, so start researching and KNOW where u wanna head - i researched but, turns out not enuff due to the following points;

if u are applying for a competitive degree, make sure to have alternative routes on your UCAS into your preferred career (ie in my case, it would have been any social science degree followed by a postgrad in SW);

if u are considering social work or any of the human services/social care, get that placement started NOW;

if u are undecided on institutions be unafraid to leave a choice (or two!) blank on UCAS. this means u can add other institutions and courses later. or instead, have two degree programmes from the same place (tho bear in mind it will need to be reflected on your PS as to why) ie, i applied for both social science and social work at the same uni. this only applies to those that may wanna get into particular institutions tho;

(this really does happen) - it is possible that u change your mind as to the subject u enjoy. example. i went on the course fully revved up for social work. fell in love with social policy tho (yeah that sounds sad. live with it! :tongue:) tried to get a social policy place and nearly considered changing from social work to social policy, which is when i contacted uni of glasgow and learnt my quals were not acceptable, despite being on straight distinctions (galling, to say the least!). sometimes, no matter how much u think u want to do something, doubts can occur. as it happens i changed my mind back, but, beware that over the course of nine months, things can change :smile: - so by leaving blanks, it gives you room to chop and change without stressing yourself. the number of uni's i spoke to that would accept me and asked me to apply thru UCAS and i couldn't, because i had used up all my choices caused me no end of stress.

PS = Personal Statement - final hint - start that personal statement asap - yes, i mean now lol...believe it or not it will help take the pressure off u later when UCAS time comes. most people in my group struggled to get a workable first draft and felt the pressure as the deadline fast approached and UCAS opened.

hope the above helps and saves someone from unnecessary stress when it's their time :smile:

Excellent stuff. My tip is read the instructions carefully. My first PS draft was 4000 words Doh. I think subconsciously I ignored the word character because i assumed this cannot be based upon only 4000 characters including spaces, and so read what I thought should be there..

Quick Reply