The Student Room Group

AS: Xylem and Phloem

God almighty, it seems like I have been doing xylem and phloem for months and I still know little to none. Can anyone give me good solid notes with key info? Thanks.
Reply 1
This is biology. Plant biology. There is nothing to "get". You're obviously not memorizing hard enough.
Reply 2
Thats what I mean, I have no notes to memorize from? Like I dont know half of the stuff on xylem or phloem, Im aware that it is factual and therefore has to be learn rather than worked out.
Get a text book or something?
Reply 4
Xylem contains two pathways
Symplast -goes through the living parts of the cell-the cytoplasm.The cytoplasm of neighbouring cells connect through plasmodesmata.

Apoplast goes through the non-living parts of the cell-the cell wall.The walls are absorbent and water can simply diffuse through them.

Apolplast pathway gets to the endodermis cells ,its path is blocked by a waxy strip in the cell wall called the Casparian strip.As a result water goes through symplast pathway. Useful because it has to go through a cell membrane .Once past this barrier ,the water moves into the xylem vessel.
Reply 5
Xylem is in the vascular bundle, it helps to support the plant and it transports water and mineral ions in the plant.
Phloem transports sucrose through the plant.
Original post by Lama88
Xylem contains two pathways
Symplast -goes through the living parts of the cell-the cytoplasm.The cytoplasm of neighbouring cells connect through plasmodesmata.

Apoplast goes through the non-living parts of the cell-the cell wall.The walls are absorbent and water can simply diffuse through them.

Apolplast pathway gets to the endodermis cells ,its path is blocked by a waxy strip in the cell wall called the Casparian strip.As a result water goes through symplast pathway. Useful because it has to go through a cell membrane .Once past this barrier ,the water moves into the xylem vessel.

Erm... those are the pathways to the xylem, from the root hair cells. Not the pathways along/through the xylem.

OP: I'd advise getting hold of a textbook, that should contain anything and everything that you're expected to know about them, and you can just learn that.
Notes are fallible, textbooks ought not be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
yeah they are .
I know the ones also in the xylem vessels via cohesion tension mechanism and root pressure .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending