The Student Room Group

Work Experience Help?

Hi There. I Need Ideas For Work Experience For Year 10. I Dont Want To Go Into A Typical Retail Shop. I Want To Go Into Something Which Stands Out On A CV. Does Anyone Know Any Place In London Which Takes Under 16 Work Experience?
Depending what are you going to study, there are certainly a lot of work experiences that stand out in a CV, eg. work experience at science labs ( http://www.stfc.ac.uk/ ). Not sure about London though. There might be some charity work, use google search.
Reply 2
Ditto the above ^
And another advice is don't choose to want to go to work experience for the sake of your friends. I chose mine in Burnley which is about 2 hours away from where I live. That I think is quite cool for a CV and I got a Distinction :smile:
Reply 3
im looking for many places but they are either too far (as in 4-5 hours away) or they dont accept under 16s. can everyone please state where they did their work experience in london :smile:
i will be eternally grateful...
Reply 4
Charity work will look good on a cv. What are you hoping to pursue as a career?
Original post by SuperMan184
Hi There. I Need Ideas For Work Experience For Year 10. I Dont Want To Go Into A Typical Retail Shop. I Want To Go Into Something Which Stands Out On A CV. Does Anyone Know Any Place In London Which Takes Under 16 Work Experience?

The BBC do work experience, but it's really competitive!
I plan to undertake work experience during the summer, after my GCSE's:smile:
Reply 6

I am sure some places in London will take work experience, but please don't be too over ambitious. For example, working in lets say a top Law company in London, may be over ambitious.

Can I ask. Do you live in London? Because many people are like 'I really want to do my work experience in London' but don't weigh up over factors, if they don't actually live in London, like cost, time of getting up everyday, the long journey everyday etc

I am not trying to stop you from applying somewhere in London, but you need to think about that sort of stuff. If you are not from London, do still look for local stuff. Sometimes working for a smaller local firm, you will find yourself with more to do , and actually enjoy it more.

Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by iJess
Charity work will look good on a cv. What are you hoping to pursue as a career?

I Want To Go Into A Medicinal Course In The Future Or Dentistry Of Some Sort.

Original post by Coke1
I am sure some places in London will take work experience, but please don't be too over ambitious. For example, working in lets say a top Law company in London, may be over ambitious.

Can I ask. Do you live in London? Because many people are like 'I really want to do my work experience in London' but don't weigh up over factors, if they don't actually live in London, like cost, time of getting up everyday, the long journey everyday etc

I am not trying to stop you from applying somewhere in London, but you need to think about that sort of stuff. If you are not from London, do still look for local stuff. Sometimes working for a smaller local firm, you will find yourself with more to do , and actually enjoy it more.

Good luck!

I Do Live In London But I Dont Mind Going Further Out Of London. I Just Need To Get A Few Ideas of Which Big Companies Or Good Places Allow Under 16 Work Experience As I Do Not Want The Typical Retail Work. I Want Something Which Will Kinda Stand Out And Which Will Teach me A Lot Of Things.
Reply 8

I did my year 10 work experience at Smythsons in London. Wasn't the most thrilling experience, but I got to work alongside Samantha Cameron who was working there back then. Claim to fame lol :tongue:

I would like to offer one piece of advise, do with it as you will. When applying to work experience, please do not capitalise the first letter of every word you write. You're under 16, not under 7! :wink:
Original post by M1011
I did my year 10 work experience at Smythsons in London. Wasn't the most thrilling experience, but I got to work alongside Samantha Cameron who was working there back then. Claim to fame lol :tongue:

I would like to offer one piece of advise, do with it as you will. When applying to work experience, please do not capitalise the first letter of every word you write. You're under 16, not under 7! :wink:

Nein. He is in fact, typing the whole post in uppercase LIKE SO, but the forum will modify it such that only the first letters are capital.
Reply 10
Original post by Hippysnake
Nein. He is in fact, typing the whole post in uppercase LIKE SO, but the forum will modify it such that only the first letters are capital.

I stand corrected :tongue:

SuperMan184: I would like to offer one piece of advise, do with it as you will. When applying to work experience, please do not capitalise every letter of every word you write. You're under 16, not under 7! :wink:
Reply 11

Dont worry right now haha
Reply 12
Original post by M1011
I stand corrected :tongue:

SuperMan184: I would like to offer one piece of advise, do with it as you will. When applying to work experience, please do not capitalise every letter of every word you write. You're under 16, not under 7! :wink:

haha lol. i do not capitalise every letter mate. i deliberately capitalise every first letter of every word. but obviously i will not write like that while applying. anyways lets stay on the subject
Reply 13

haha lol. i do not capitalise every letter mate. i deliberately capitalise every first letter of every word. but obviously i will not write like that while applying. anyways lets stay on the subject

Hippysnake, are you reading this! :tongue:
Original post by m1011
hippysnake, are you reading this! :tongue:

Honest mistake. I imagine he's probably the only person who does so.
Reply 15
Original post by M1011
Hippysnake, are you reading this! :tongue:

Honest mistake. I imagine he's probably the only person who does so.

guys stay on the subject please.

has anyone else got anymore ideas for work experience in or around london
Reply 16
Bump!
I am in year 10 and have just sent my work experience application letter to 9 different gyms/leisure centres because I am interested in sport science (hope this helped).
yes?

Quick Reply

Latest