The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

So what *is* the procedure for when your parent has somehow forgotten her customer reference number and password AND deleted any emails she got from SFE AND thrown away any letters she got and therefore cannot log in to the site?

I am slightly in disbelief over this.
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
So what *is* the procedure for when your parent has somehow forgotten her customer reference number and password AND deleted any emails she got from SFE AND thrown away any letters she got and therefore cannot log in to the site?

I am slightly in disbelief over this.

Call them. I think the last time when I didn't have my customer reference number, they got into my account by asking personal questions like name, DOB etc
Original post by rotterdamhibs
As far as i know it should be....

1. You have permanent residence in the EU (Latvia is part of the EU)
2. You are not a migrant worker. (You were born in Latvia?)
3. No,But you should answer yes if your parents etc have migrated to the EU
4. Yes you should fill in and send the forms.

I think my advice is correct,but you should maybe call SAAS to be sure.

Thank you very much for the advice!
I'm not sure if I want the maintenance money or not - my parents might be able to "let me off" that part of the loan, but they're not sure, and it won't be settled in time for the May deadline.

Would it be a good idea to apply for the maximum amount of everything now? i.e. if it turns out that I don't need it, would I be able to just call and say "I don't want to borrow this"?

In addition, what are the procedures if you end up at your Insurance choice (meaning big chunks of your form are incorrect) - do you simply go online and change it?

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 6564
I've almost completed the application form, I'm an European student.
I need to send evidence to prove some details, and the photocopies must be certified by an official. I didn't get this certifying stuff, can my family doctor certify the photocopy of my ID card, for example? :s-smilie:
Original post by ftm66
I've almost completed the application form, I'm an European student.
I need to send evidence to prove some details, and the photocopies must be certified by an official. I didn't get this certifying stuff, can my family doctor certify the photocopy of my ID card, for example? :s-smilie:

I'm an EU student as well and I have always got all the documents certified by a translator cos I want to be sure they won't return them for some reason. I'm not sure if the doctor clarifies as eligible to sign the documents, I know it is said in the forms but at the same time it doesn't really make sense.
Btw, has any EU continuing student received their EUPR1a form for 2012/13 yet? It is said to arrive in the end of February, but I still haven't received mine and I can't find it in the directgov website to download it. If anybody knows where to download it from, can you post a link, please?
Reply 6567
Original post by Nayom1
Hi, I'm trying to put info about the properties my parents own, but last year they came out at a loss. Do I put the negative amount on the form or just tick the 'No' box where the form asks for income from property?

Does anyone have an answer for this please :colondollar:
This question isn't entirely relevant, but how do I post the paper form (i.e. what stamp etc). It is A4 sized and going to a PO Box address (Student Finance England, PO Box 210, Darlington, DL1 9HJ)
Reply 6569
Original post by confused dot com
This question isn't entirely relevant, but how do I post the paper form (i.e. what stamp etc). It is A4 sized and going to a PO Box address (Student Finance England, PO Box 210, Darlington, DL1 9HJ)

If you're not sure, you can take it to the counter at the post office and they'll make sure it gets the correct postage. A standard 1st class stamp is NOT enough, you need a large letter stamp at the very least. The forms are quite thick though and I'd be concerned it might be too heavy so I would take it in and get it weighed.
Original post by alibee
If you're not sure, you can take it to the counter at the post office and they'll make sure it gets the correct postage. A standard 1st class stamp is NOT enough, you need a large letter stamp at the very least. The forms are quite thick though and I'd be concerned it might be too heavy so I would take it in and get it weighed.

Okay, I'll take it to the post office then. Thanks a lot!
Reply 6571
I need some help i'm in an awkward situation because i am going to need a big loan but at the moment my household income is really high. If it was based just on my mums earnings i would get a middle-ish loan but we live with her boyfriend who is on about 80k without tax so basically i will get nothing, because the maintenance loan barely covers accommodation. In a couple of months he will be unemployed and its not as if he would help me that much anyway, but does he have to put how much he earns at the moment or should i fill out the rest in a few months. or can i apply now and get the crap loan but then change the forms in a few months and get any more money? I was wondering if they will look at his employment history.
I know they usually give you your loan in 3 parts so they can't really give me the rubbish loan for term 1 and then double it for then next 2 terms can they?
Basically i'm really confused with the loans i would really appreciate some help please :smile:
Original post by ellie3
I need some help i'm in an awkward situation because i am going to need a big loan but at the moment my household income is really high. If it was based just on my mums earnings i would get a middle-ish loan but we live with her boyfriend who is on about 80k without tax so basically i will get nothing, because the maintenance loan barely covers accommodation. In a couple of months he will be unemployed and its not as if he would help me that much anyway, but does he have to put how much he earns at the moment or should i fill out the rest in a few months. or can i apply now and get the crap loan but then change the forms in a few months and get any more money? I was wondering if they will look at his employment history.
I know they usually give you your loan in 3 parts so they can't really give me the rubbish loan for term 1 and then double it for then next 2 terms can they?
Basically i'm really confused with the loans i would really appreciate some help please :smile:

I remember seeing something on the paper form that said if your total household income was going to fall by more than 15% in the year, there was some way to register this information so your loan was based on it, so maybe you should call and ask about this
Reply 6573
Original post by confused dot com
I remember seeing something on the paper form that said if your total household income was going to fall by more than 15% in the year, there was some way to register this information so your loan was based on it, so maybe you should call and ask about this

Oh that does sound useful i'll call tomorrow, thanks :smile:
I'm an EU student applying for student finance to pay tuition fees. I read somewhere that, in case your parents are separated, you need to provide a document to prove that. is it true? if that was true, should I send a copy of the original document or a certified translation?
I'm confused.
thanks in advance, I hope someone can help me
Original post by panda1093
I'm an EU student applying for student finance to pay tuition fees. I read somewhere that, in case your parents are separated, you need to provide a document to prove that. is it true? if that was true, should I send a copy of the original document or a certified translation?
I'm confused.
thanks in advance, I hope someone can help me

You copy the document and go to have it translated nad certified. Then attach it to the rest of the application. That goes for all the documents that are not in English.
Reply 6576
I receive the basic student finance amount and I looked at re-applying for next year and it told me that a letter would be sent out and all I would need to do is sign it. However it also said the letter would be sent out at the end of Feb at the latest but I haven't received one. I was just wondering whether other people had received theirs?
Reply 6577
Original post by slt2015
I receive the basic student finance amount and I looked at re-applying for next year and it told me that a letter would be sent out and all I would need to do is sign it. However it also said the letter would be sent out at the end of Feb at the latest but I haven't received one. I was just wondering whether other people had received theirs?

You mean the declaration? I got mine on Saturday, just over a week after I applied.
Reply 6578
Original post by Gemini92
You mean the declaration? I got mine on Saturday, just over a week after I applied.

Yeh it's the declaration, but i'm a continuing student so applied last year. As i'm on the basic my student finance should just carry on and all I need to do is sign a form which I should have received in September but haven't.
Reply 6579
Original post by slt2015
Yeh it's the declaration, but i'm a continuing student so applied last year. As i'm on the basic my student finance should just carry on and all I need to do is sign a form which I should have received in September but haven't.

I'm a continuing student as well, you have to apply every year.

Quick Reply

Latest