The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ber
You DO need to be able to speak fluent Cantonese to apply.

I thought all their courses were taught in English. :confused:
Reply 741
Original post by zero_Gravity91
I thought all their courses were taught in English. :confused:

Yes, but there will be clinical attachments and you will have to communicate with your patients in chinese.
Reply 742
I would like to ask that does any people here received an interview notification from HKU dentistry....
Now is mid-April already.... But the HKU dentistry office lady tell me to check the status at the beginning of May, I think my chance become smaller and smaller now.... They also told me that they normally would not accept any candidate without an interview, I think what she mean is that they would reject me in May.....
Original post by Vulpes
Yes, but there will be clinical attachments and you will have to communicate with your patients in chinese.

Ah I see.

Does the law program require the use of Cantonese and Mandarin (in the case of a mock debate)?
Reply 744
Original post by zero_Gravity91
Ah I see.

Does the law program require the use of Cantonese and Mandarin (in the case of a mock debate)?

Im not too sure tbh, as I only know medical students at CU and HKU. :dontknow:

Several courts in Hong Kong are conducted in English, with a chinese translator brought in at times so I assume that the necessity of speaking fluent chinese isn't as high.
Original post by Vulpes
Im not too sure tbh, as I only know medical students at CU and HKU. :dontknow:

Several courts in Hong Kong are conducted in English, with a chinese translator brought in at times so I assume that the necessity of speaking fluent chinese isn't as high.

Hmm. Thank you for your response! :smile:
hello everyone i am new to this thread

I just want to ask about chinese university of hong kong.

I hv been accepted into the law programme at CUHK, but I am wondering about the colleges that undergrads have to apply for to enter the university.

Which colleges do not require a final year project, and which colleges are the best to apply to?
Original post by mistersmiley

I hv been accepted into the law programme at CUHK, but I am wondering about the colleges that undergrads have to apply for to enter the university.

Which colleges do not require a final year project, and which colleges are the best to apply to?

hi there i'm not a CUHK student but i might be able to answer some of your questions :smile:

congrats for your offer to CUHK! the "colleges" are actually like halls in HKU. u play, live, stay and do most of your things in your college. if u are international, mostly probably u will be staying in colleges. u participate in college activities, help colleges to organize activities, represent the college to join many competitions like sports, debating. basically your life is tightly bonded with your college.

there is no such thing as "final year project" i think.... law programmes may have a "final year project" but everyone has to do it in that case, regardless your college.

before 2010, there were only 4 colleges, namely, Shaw, New Asia (NA for short), Chung Chi, United. every college has its own advantages and disadvantages. for example, Shaw is the furthest from the main campus ( either walk for 10 minutes up and down the hill or take a bus without air con), NA is the most playful college, Chung Chi is the college with most scholarships as well as the most "nerds" (lol) while United is the cloest to the library. these 4 colleges had been existing since the establishment of CUHK and were long time rivals, especially NA and United.

then in 2011, 3 or 4 (i forgot) new colleges were established. in 2012, a few more will be established. since they are very new and i dont have much information on that. so i can't give any comments :smile:

if i were u, i will join the Big 4. and then u have to do some research on the locations, cultures and environment of the four colleges. for example if u dont like to walk, i suggest u not to pick Shaw. it's basically to far away.... some of my fds joined the summer institute thing in CUHK (for secondary school students) and said they enjoyed living in Shaw College, but i'm not sure if that's true if u have to walk up the hill for 3 years..:P

anyway congrats for your offer! u are international or local? :biggrin:

EDIT: sorry for the long response. i'll try to make it short next time (didn't i said the same thing beforehand? XD)
Original post by annababy
I would like to ask that does any people here received an interview notification from HKU dentistry....
Now is mid-April already.... But the HKU dentistry office lady tell me to check the status at the beginning of May, I think my chance become smaller and smaller now.... They also told me that they normally would not accept any candidate without an interview, I think what she mean is that they would reject me in May.....

if i am correct, we have at least one dentistry applicant on this group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/252079598194712/
u might want to ask him for further details :smile:
sorry for our incompetence....
Reply 749
Hey does anyone know how the entrance scholarships work... as in are they renewable for each year?
Original post by mistersmiley

there're fyp at CC and UC
don't know about others
Reply 751
hello everyone!
i applied to HKU back in deceber, but have not heard anything from them. My friend who applied at the same time already resceived an offer.
so few question now
How i am going to be notified about admisson decision?
when is deadline for them to rescopnce?
why they so slow?

=)
Reply 752
hello everyone!
i applied to HKU back in deceber, but have not heard anything from them. My friend who applied at the same time already resceived an offer.
so few question now
How i am going to be notified about admisson decision?
when is deadline for them to rescopnce?
why they so slow?

=)

Same situation mate.. What course did you apply for?
Reply 753
Original post by saychig
Same situation mate.. What course did you apply for?

QuantFinance-1st
Economic and Finance-2nd
acc and finance-3rd

when did you applied
a level? ib?
Reply 754
QuantFinance-1st
Economic and Finance-2nd
acc and finance-3rd

when did you applied
a level? ib?

Dentistry

IB

How bout you?
Woo, finally applied for HKU's exchange programme. Is everyone here applying for first year undergraduate entry? Is there anyone applying for study abroad in HK? Also can anyone give me some information about Swire Hall and Starr Hall?
Original post by chr1stopher11
Woo, finally applied for HKU's exchange programme. Is everyone here applying for first year undergraduate entry? Is there anyone applying for study abroad in HK? Also can anyone give me some information about Swire Hall and Starr Hall?

hi there i think most of us are for first year undergrad. glad that we have different types of applicants here :smile:

for swire hall, it's one of the so-called "traditional halls" (exists for a long time). it is located inside the main campus, so it is particularly attractive to most hku students (except medicine and dentistry ppl since they arent have classes in main campus). the hall life there is very enjoyable. u can actively participate in sports activities and cultural activities there. there is also so-called "god system" in swire, which means some hallmates of higher grades are called "gods". they have absolute power in the hall and they can use their power freely to command any hallmates (usually freshman) to do something (e.g. clean the pantry, sweep the floor). this is of course applied to all local hallmates but not sure about international ones, because usually international students dont participate much in hall activities.

not much information about starr hall, but it is known to become more and more active in inter-hall sports competition and is more keen of organizing activities within the hall. it was once recognized as the "home of medics" because it does not force hallmates to join any activities so medics students who got loads to study enjoy staying at that hall with plenty of time for studying. but this has changed during the past few years and thus it has to be noted :smile:
Original post by dragon_knight
hi there i think most of us are for first year undergrad. glad that we have different types of applicants here :smile:

for swire hall, it's one of the so-called "traditional halls" (exists for a long time). it is located inside the main campus, so it is particularly attractive to most hku students (except medicine and dentistry ppl since they arent have classes in main campus). the hall life there is very enjoyable. u can actively participate in sports activities and cultural activities there. there is also so-called "god system" in swire, which means some hallmates of higher grades are called "gods". they have absolute power in the hall and they can use their power freely to command any hallmates (usually freshman) to do something (e.g. clean the pantry, sweep the floor). this is of course applied to all local hallmates but not sure about international ones, because usually international students dont participate much in hall activities.

Seriously? That sounds stupid. Why do international students not get involved?

not much information about starr hall, but it is known to become more and more active in inter-hall sports competition and is more keen of organizing activities within the hall. it was once recognized as the "home of medics" because it does not force hallmates to join any activities so medics students who got loads to study enjoy staying at that hall with plenty of time for studying. but this has changed during the past few years and thus it has to be noted :smile:

Ah ok. Pretty much everyone I live with is a medic anyway atm so I don't mind that. Do you know where the Geography department is located, is it in the main area/campus? Which hall do you think is better out of Swire and Starr? I think I like Starr more.
Original post by chr1stopher11
Seriously? That sounds stupid. Why do international students not get involved?
Ah ok. Pretty much everyone I live with is a medic anyway atm so I don't mind that. Do you know where the Geography department is located, is it in the main area/campus? Which hall do you think is better out of Swire and Starr? I think I like Starr more.

well mostly due to cultural and language barriers. like it is easier for hk ppl to chat in chinese than in english, and international students are like "visitors". we respect visitors' will to join the functions or not and it is up to international students. on the other hand, local ppl are forced to join because they are local!

geography department is located in the main campus which i think is like a 3 minute walk from Simon KY Lee Hall. i prefer starr too because swire is a bit too tough for students. but since i will be studying medicine in the coming year, i will be mostly likely to opt for halls in Sasson Road :biggrin:
Original post by dragon_knight
well mostly due to cultural and language barriers. like it is easier for hk ppl to chat in chinese than in english, and international students are like "visitors". we respect visitors' will to join the functions or not and it is up to international students. on the other hand, local ppl are forced to join because they are local!

Ah ok, so you can opt out of halls activities if you want if you are an international student? I've looked at each hall's website and from most of the pictures it seems like there are only Asian people living there, but then again most of the photos are to do with sports. Are there many Europeans(specifically British)/Americans/Australians etc in the halls and is there an international feel?

geography department is located in the main campus which i think is like a 3 minute walk from Simon KY Lee Hall. i prefer starr too because swire is a bit too tough for students. but since i will be studying medicine in the coming year, i will be mostly likely to opt for halls in Sasson Road :biggrin:

Great, very close then! Right now I live in halls that is a 30 minute commute away from my campus so I really would like to be close this year. Is Starr hall a popular choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending