The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough 2012 Freshers + FAQ/Info

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by Village Whisper
I guess there are a lot of applicants because it's near London and right by the beach :tongue: Oh well, I liked the actual place more than the course so maybe I'll just live there when I'm older. Yep I know what you mean, when I went to open days I was constantly comparing them to the other places and not really looking at them as individual courses and unis. Are you going on your own, then? I really want to find out about the work you're supposed to do in the first year, though I feel like I should probably know that already!

True, everybody I know who's been there says it's a lovely place! :smile: Me too, I also feel like I know barely anything about the content of the course which scares me a bit! I literally have no idea apart from the basic info they provide in the prospectus and what they vaguely mentioned at the interview haha. I really want to know how many hours of lectures/workshops etc we have, type of themes we cover, length of assessments etc. etc. So many questions! And yes I guess I'll have to travel up on my own, glad I've been there before otherwise knowing me I'd get lost haha!
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Lucyc19
True, everybody I know who's been there says it's a lovely place! :smile: Me too, I also feel like I know barely anything about the content of the course which scares me a bit! I literally have no idea apart from the basic info they provide in the prospectus and what they vaguely mentioned at the interview haha. I really want to know how many hours of lectures/workshops etc we have, type of themes we cover, length of assessments etc. etc. So many questions! And yes I guess I'll have to travel up on my own, glad I've been there before otherwise knowing me I'd get lost haha!

Haha, I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one who doesn't know much :tongue: I got a bit caught up in how much I liked the actual place and the fact that my work suits the course. They don't give much away on the website! Oh well, I'm not that picky in terms of theory stuff, as long as there isn't loads of it which I don't think there is. Apparently there's summer work too...And the email said something about a reading list, which I hope isn't too extensive! I think I'll have to drive there, I'd probably get lost too if I got the train :wink:
Reply 482
Hi, applied for university of loughborough for taught masters in advance process engg
please any one can let me know the reference authors for the subjects mentioned in process engg.
Reply 483
Haha, I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one who doesn't know much :tongue: I got a bit caught up in how much I liked the actual place and the fact that my work suits the course. They don't give much away on the website! Oh well, I'm not that picky in terms of theory stuff, as long as there isn't loads of it which I don't think there is. Apparently there's summer work too...And the email said something about a reading list, which I hope isn't too extensive! I think I'll have to drive there, I'd probably get lost too if I got the train :wink:

No don't worry I'm pretty clueless about a number of things! Yes, me too, I don't mind doing some reading though I'm curious to see what kind of work they'll set for us. I'm more likely to get lost if I drive haha! I think I'll get the train though train tickets there are so pricey :frown: Oh well, there's no way I want to miss this day as I think it'll be the more realistic insight to the course :smile:
Original post by Lucyc19
No don't worry I'm pretty clueless about a number of things! Yes, me too, I don't mind doing some reading though I'm curious to see what kind of work they'll set for us. I'm more likely to get lost if I drive haha! I think I'll get the train though train tickets there are so pricey :frown: Oh well, there's no way I want to miss this day as I think it'll be the more realistic insight to the course :smile:

I just really hope there isn't some big bad secret about the course/place that they're waiting to reveal until people have firmed their offers :tongue: Have you looked at the societies, by the way? Here's the link if you haven't: http://www.lufbra.net/societies/socslist/ There's also a great long list of sporty-type clubs, too: http://www.lufbra.net/au/auclubs/ I'm not sporty at all, but I kind of want to be...There are so many things on those lists I'd like to try, but I'd be worried about being completely rubbish at them :tongue:
Reply 485
I just really hope there isn't some big bad secret about the course/place that they're waiting to reveal until people have firmed their offers :tongue: Have you looked at the societies, by the way? Here's the link if you haven't: http://www.lufbra.net/societies/socslist/ There's also a great long list of sporty-type clubs, too: http://www.lufbra.net/au/auclubs/ I'm not sporty at all, but I kind of want to be...There are so many things on those lists I'd like to try, but I'd be worried about being completely rubbish at them :tongue:

Ha, me too :smile: There are so many that look awesome or just different/unusual that I'd love to give a go, and some of them seem a right laugh (Handball/Ultimate Frisbee, anyone? :smile:)
Reply 486

I feel the same! Ah thank you :smile: I just had a look and there's quite a good choice of non-sporty clubs which look good :smile: I'm not really sporty either, the only thing I like doing is going to the gym and running but definitely nowhere near a professional level like others at Loughborough haha!
Original post by Lucyc19
I feel the same! Ah thank you :smile: I just had a look and there's quite a good choice of non-sporty clubs which look good :smile: I'm not really sporty either, the only thing I like doing is going to the gym and running but definitely nowhere near a professional level like others at Loughborough haha!

I don't even go to the gym, but I wish I did. I kinda like the look of the pole dancing society, though I've never done anything like that before! You must get pretty fit doing it. I was looking yesterday and apparently you can do classes in pilates, yoga, zumba etc. where you go whenever you want (I think you have to book a place, though). It's supposed to be a fun thing for non-sporty people, and it's either free or cheap...I'd quite like to do pilates, but I don't think they have a society for it like they do for yoga. I'd be a bit scared to just turn up on my own, though :tongue:

Which non-sporty ones do you like the look of?
Reply 488
I'd quite like to do pilates, but I don't think they have a society for it like they do for yoga.

You could always set your own up... :biggrin:

I finally got 'round to deciding on an insurance choice, so I firmed L'boro at the weekend. Now I just gotta get that ABB and I'm in :smile:
Original post by Xenite
You could always set your own up... :biggrin:

I finally got 'round to deciding on an insurance choice, so I firmed L'boro at the weekend. Now I just gotta get that ABB and I'm in :smile:

I could if I knew what I was doing :tongue: I've never done it properly before, I'd just like to get more into it.

Good luck with getting your grades :smile:
Reply 490
My offer for Industrial Design + Tech should be made Unconditional as soon as the department receive a letter from my old school. So hopefully see some of you in September :biggrin:
Anyone one else applying for Human Biology, starting to think im the only one
Hi everyone.
I'm currently in my first year studying English, if anyone has any questions. x
Reply 493
Hi, I wanted to ask is it vital that someone has to take an art foundation course before applying for I.e graphic design? is there anyway of getting into the course without the extra year? Thanks
Reply 494
Will be insuring Lboro for aero MEng!
Original post by SarahM94
Hi, I wanted to ask is it vital that someone has to take an art foundation course before applying for I.e graphic design? is there anyway of getting into the course without the extra year? Thanks

I don't know about Graphic Design, but I'm doing a foundation at the moment and going to Loughborough this year to do Fine Art. They pretty much required a foundation, though they've changed it from being officially required to being recommended or something. I think that's because foundation courses are being cut, so they can't require what isn't readily available. They usually say there are exceptions, but I don't think there can be very many unless they're mature students with experience or something.

But yeah, I think it's good to do a foundation and you're more likely to get offers. Have you applied for this year, or are you deciding whether or not to do a foundation?
Reply 496
Anyone applying for Advanced Manufacturing Engineering & Management?
Reply 497
Haha, my options have all been sending me stuff to convince me to pick them as their firm, and Loughborough has just sent the best yet, a free 2GB memory stick :smile:. It must have crossed in the post though, 'cos I firmed them the same day that the letter they sent is dated.. :smile:

Even more glad I firmed Lboro now :biggrin:
Reply 498
I don't know about Graphic Design, but I'm doing a foundation at the moment and going to Loughborough this year to do Fine Art. They pretty much required a foundation, though they've changed it from being officially required to being recommended or something. I think that's because foundation courses are being cut, so they can't require what isn't readily available. They usually say there are exceptions, but I don't think there can be very many unless they're mature students with experience or something.

But yeah, I think it's good to do a foundation and you're more likely to get offers. Have you applied for this year, or are you deciding whether or not to do a foundation?

Thanks for the info. I went to a university conference and asked Loughborough uni about this, they stated that you don't have to unless your interview work isn't up to standard.
No i'm applying for 2013, yeah still deciding if i want to or not. So is this art foundation the same for all art/design students, what are the type of things you are doing at the moment and will it be the same for me? thanks
Reply 499
hey y'all!

MechENG Loughborough 2012 provided I get ABB. Put it as my firm last night. Loved the campus and no denying that despite the sporty reputation that people think of when somebody says they're going to loughborough it is by far a top 5 uni in the UK for academics let alone EVERYTHING ELSE! Can't wait at all.

Hopefully see a load of you there in october! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending