The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaintSoldier
No problem :smile:

Imperial do dissection, UCL do prosection afaik

Ah ok :biggrin: thanks

Original post by chiny94
I just really like where the school is located and the atmosphere there! I went to the medical confence thing in year 11 and spoke to UCL undergrads there and they really were selling their school and it seemed like a nice place :smile: nice architecture as well! And the fact that you can go to many different places for elective! Plus I don't like the fact that Imperial heavily bases on BMAT when selecting people for their interviews, UCL's admission system whereas looks at the overall picture...at least that's what I've been told :tongue: but now I'm bending towards Imperial a lot... I think I have to visit Imperial to know what it's like and compare the place with UCL :smile:

Wow, great reasoning :biggrin: I need to do more research aha, can't attend the UCL open day unfortunately so gonna have a self guided tour sometime. If I have any questions can I ask you? aha, I think I'll need as much info as possible seeing as I can't attend the open day :frown: are you going to go to any UCL open days?
Reply 2221
Original post by erniiee

Wow, great reasoning :biggrin: I need to do more research aha, can't attend the UCL open day unfortunately so gonna have a self guided tour sometime. If I have any questions can I ask you? aha, I think I'll need as much info as possible seeing as I can't attend the open day :frown: are you going to go to any UCL open days?

I would really like to however they are not open yet are they? I mean the booking form... I heard the medicine open day is on the same day as Imperial's medicine open day so....what to do now hmmm I've applied for imperial open day but no response yet :frown: and yes of course you can ask me about anything :tongue:
Reply 2222
Erm yeh I've done 2 weeks in a GP surgery and a week in Orthopaedics.

2 frigging weeks?!! Wow lucky!! In GP surgery as well! I've called about 30 GP surgerys and they all said 'no due to confidentiality reasons' as usual... Can I ask how your got the placement? I've done A&E and Geriatrics...:tongue:
Original post by chiny94
2 frigging weeks?!! Wow lucky!! In GP surgery as well! I've called about 30 GP surgerys and they all said 'no due to confidentiality reasons' as usual... Can I ask how your got the placement? I've done A&E and Geriatrics...:tongue:

The gp I went to were sooo lovely, they let me do a week when I had to do my school one, then let me do saturdays as long as I wanted as often as I wanted :smile: It was only admin work on saturdays, but during the week they let me do stuff :smile: Maybe when you ring the gp's say you're okay with admin? (if you are aha) I got asked if I'm a patient there or if any family are, and when I said no they were cool with having me :smile: how was A and E? :smile:
Original post by chiny94

Ah well it pays to have connections you see :wink:

Basically the manager of the surgery is a Sikh (I am too), so I just walked in and said "help a bro out" and she said ok :smile:

(btw I didn't know her from before or anything, but I just knew she'd let me in for the reason I mentioned above. So if you can use any tactics like that, then go for it. It'll make things a lot easier)

Hospital work exp took me aaaagggesss to get though, couldn't get any in my city so I had to travel ~18miles to a small town :angry:
Reply 2225
Ah well it pays to have connections you see :wink:

Basically the manager of the surgery is a Sikh (I am too), so I just walked in and said "help a bro out" and she said ok :smile:

(btw I didn't know her from before or anything, but I just knew she'd let me in for the reason I mentioned above. So if you can use any tactics like that, then go for it. It'll make things a lot easier)

Hospital work exp took me aaaagggesss to get though, couldn't get any in my city so I had to travel ~18miles to a small town :angry:

If only I could that connection... I'm a Christian so not very unique and I don't think help me a bro out tactic will work with my fellow Christians... :/ dayum ah really?! I had it easy since I already volunteered in the hospital shop so got it easily well fairly easily hehe :tongue:

Original post by TaraBelle
The gp I went to were sooo lovely, they let me do a week when I had to do my school one, then let me do saturdays as long as I wanted as often as I wanted :smile: It was only admin work on saturdays, but during the week they let me do stuff :smile: Maybe when you ring the gp's say you're okay with admin? (if you are aha) I got asked if I'm a patient there or if any family are, and when I said no they were cool with having me :smile: how was A and E? :smile:

Ah lucky! You see, GP surgeries seem to hate me! I even said I was cool with admin stuff and everything and all I got was rejection after rejection! I've given up on that now since I've arranged myself (hopefully, fingers crossed) a 20-week ward work experience in a hospital nearby so we shall see hehe :biggrin: anyway how are you then? I was in A&E in February half term and that was when i had the urinating drunkard and shadowing gynae observing full on vagina (was very interesting!!) this time it was geriatrics! Lots of fallen elderly patients who were majorly confused, bless them :') loved the elderly patients!
Original post by chiny94
I've given up on that now since I've arranged myself (hopefully, fingers crossed) a 20-week ward work experience in a hospital nearby so we shall see hehe :biggrin:

i'm sorry, what now?
Reply 2227
Original post by ameelia22
i'm sorry, what now?

maybe she meant 2.
Need more motivation for revision. Any ideas? I know that if I don't revise enough then I'll fail, but I find it so hard to sit down for long periods of time and revise stuff that's boring (ie social psychology, and the less interesting sides of chemistry and biology) :frown:
Reply 2229
Original post by ameelia22
i'm sorry, what now?

It's true! Although it's only once a week for 2 hours so this is more like 2 full weeks of work experience. I don't actually know what this will involve but the hospital offered me so I'm trying to arrange this. I think it's basically allowing me to experience different wards and gain patient contact more freely? I'm not shadowing any doctors in particular so I don't really know much about it but I'm hoping to start this after my exams.. it's more like a volunteering job I guess, :smile:
Original post by chiny94
I would really like to however they are not open yet are they? I mean the booking form... I heard the medicine open day is on the same day as Imperial's medicine open day so....what to do now hmmm I've applied for imperial open day but no response yet :frown: and yes of course you can ask me about anything :tongue:

Oh I'm not sure :don'tknow:

Original post by Pride
maybe she meant 2.

Nope, she meant twenty. I've got that too :biggrin: starting this Saturday. It's more a volunteering placement, although you could call it work experience.

At least I hope that's what she's on about D:
Reply 2232
Original post by erniiee
Nope, she meant twenty. I've got that too :biggrin: starting this Saturday. It's more a volunteering placement, although you could call it work experience.

At least I hope that's what she's on about D:

haha ahh ok.
Reply 2233
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Need more motivation for revision. Any ideas? I know that if I don't revise enough then I'll fail, but I find it so hard to sit down for long periods of time and revise stuff that's boring (ie social psychology, and the less interesting sides of chemistry and biology) :frown:

I find my motivation varies, sometimes I just want to get on and the time flies by, other times it's a struggle. Just keep going. Take breaks, treat yourself too - positive reinforcement and that.

I find speaking to classmates at school gets me more motivated too lol, I know it's a bit wrong of me, but I like beating my friends. I'm lucky enough to not have to spend ages in the library revising to do well, but when they tell me about how long they spend revising, I just make doubley sure I don't miss anything out :teehee:
Original post by chiny94

Ah lucky! You see, GP surgeries seem to hate me! I even said I was cool with admin stuff and everything and all I got was rejection after rejection! I've given up on that now since I've arranged myself (hopefully, fingers crossed) a 20-week ward work experience in a hospital nearby so we shall see hehe :biggrin: anyway how are you then? I was in A&E in February half term and that was when i had the urinating drunkard and shadowing gynae observing full on vagina (was very interesting!!) this time it was geriatrics! Lots of fallen elderly patients who were majorly confused, bless them :') loved the elderly patients!

Oh no :frown: oh well that 20 week one sounds pretty amazing! When will you be starting that :smile: I'm good! Just starting to crack down on revision now, but like most people struggling to stay motivated :frown: oh wow that sounds really fun Haha! I did a bit in a gynae clinic in india, was a bit scarred after that tbh :L I hated general medicine! It just made me really sad :frown: the first thing that happened on my first day was telling the house officer that someone had passed away the night before :frown: and seeing those that don't really have family support and are obviously struggling.. :frown:

On a happier note- what specialty's been your favourite out of those you've experienced then? :smile:
anyone here got any language speaking exams ?
Hey just out of interest did anyone on here actually get into the UNIQ thing for medicine ?

I'm still waiting to see if i get into oncology

Natalie maybe ?
Reply 2237
Original post by TaraBelle
Oh no :frown: oh well that 20 week one sounds pretty amazing! When will you be starting that :smile: I'm good! Just starting to crack down on revision now, but like most people struggling to stay motivated :frown: oh wow that sounds really fun Haha! I did a bit in a gynae clinic in india, was a bit scarred after that tbh :L I hated general medicine! It just made me really sad :frown: the first thing that happened on my first day was telling the house officer that someone had passed away the night before :frown: and seeing those that don't really have family support and are obviously struggling.. :frown:

On a happier note- what specialty's been your favourite out of those you've experienced then? :smile:

haha yeah gynae gave me a scar too :L and really? I loved general medicine! all the elderly patients were lovely and they weren't dying luckily... But the speciality out of gynae, a&e and geriatrics, I will have to say A&E! It was so hectic and eventful plus, the doctors were nicer (doctors in geriatrics/GM were lovely bunch but they didn't elaborate much!) and they explained every little details to me which i thought was ultra sweet :') what about you?

Original post by Orinincandenza
Hey just out of interest did anyone on here actually get into the UNIQ thing for medicine ?

I'm still waiting to see if i get into oncology

Natalie maybe ?

I didn't get a place... :frown: I'm just waiting for sutton trust one but I doubt i'll get that as well meh...
Who wants a cheer up joke?

Why was Doctor angry at his wife?

Because he had lost his patients.:clap2::lolz:
Reply 2239
Original post by Future_Dr
Who wants a cheer up joke?

Why was Doctor angry at his wife?

Because he had lost his patients.:clap2::lolz:

hehe

Latest

Trending

Trending