The Student Room Group

Can you solve it?

question.jpg
Reply 1
Yes, I can. But I'm not just going to give you the answer - show your working.

Edit: When I posted this I wasn't anticipating that others would 'join in' - I'm actually trying to help, so if you post your working I'll let you know where you're going wrong or give you some pokes in the right direction.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Is this something like a questionnaire? :biggrin: I think I can solve it. :tongue:
Reply 3
No
Reply 4
No
Reply 5
I can, however nuodai summed it up quite well
Yeah I can.
Yep, but it would ruin the fun of Maths for you if I did it, wouldn't it? :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by nuodai
Yes, I can. But I'm not just going to give you the answer - show your working.

Edit: When I posted this I wasn't anticipating that others would 'join in' - I'm actually trying to help, so if you post your working I'll let you know where you're going wrong or give you some pokes in the right direction.

(a) f(x) = (1-x^2)^1/2 & f(x) = -((1-x^2)^1/2)
(b) no function exists with such a property
(c) c part.jpg
Reply 9
Original post by math1234
(a) f(x) = (1-x^2)^1/2 & f(x) = -((1-x^2)^1/2)
(b) no function exists with such a property
(c) c part.jpg

Your answers for (a) and (b) are correct from what I can tell. But I don't understand your solution to (c); what is g(x)g(x), for instance?
Reply 10
Original post by nuodai
Your answers for (a) and (b) are correct from what I can tell. But I don't understand your solution to (c); what is g(x)g(x), for instance?

dia c part.jpg
g_1, g_2, g_3 = g_i
g(f(x))=x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
why not you guys are now making fun of my post?(except nuodai) the reason is because you don't understand this question.
Reply 12
Original post by math1234
dia c part.jpg
g_1, g_2, g_3 = g_i
g(f(x))=x

Right, so it's a piecewise inverse to the cubic. That's right.

Your answers all seem fine. Where were you having problems?
Reply 13
Original post by nuodai
Right, so it's a piecewise inverse to the cubic. That's right.

Your answers all seem fine. Where were you having problems?

how can we find y=f_i (x) =g_i^-1 (x) explicitly? & on what intervals g are one-one contained: (-infinity, -1) or (-1, 1) or (1, infinity)?

Quick Reply

Latest