The Student Room Group

Why aren't males treating females like Ladies anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Why should we?

i would but then i took an arrow to the knee. :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Original post by Stefan1991
But young women ARE sex symbols. They are sexually attractive to men.
And it is natural for men to comment on this to other men.
This is not a new concept.

Next question.

Why must they be frowned upon? :confused: How is complimenting someone something to be frowned upon?

Men find women sexually appealing. See how I condensed those two paragraphs into that very short and easy to understand sentence.

This is not a new phenomenon. In fact, men have been attracted to women for some time now.

I think someone has a rather rosey recollection of what it was like in the 50s. Were you alive in the 50s? Thought not.

Men were exactly the same back then. In fact they've pretty much been that way for hundreds of thousands of years.

Have you never read Shakespeare? Have you never read all the literature of the last hundreds of years? All of it filled with sexual imagery. A lot of it devoted to women and their sex appeal. A lot of it devoted to conquest, power and wealth.

In order words... 'money and bitches'

Don't pretend like anything has changed in that regard.

We have moved away from the repressive Victorian era when humans were forced to deny they were sexual beings. And taught that God loves you and that you're going to burn in hell, and that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and that you should save it for someone you love. :rolleyes:

There's no thing as "sexually revealing" clothes. There are clothes which hide what you really look like, and then there's no clothes. Your true human form.

One is neither more "sexually revealing" than the other, because the human body is not inherently sexual in appearance.

Exactly, this is what rational people argue. You should treat someone respectfully whether they are wearing clothes or not. Why does respect correlate with what clothes you wear and not the character of the person?

It's the most insane and ridiculous thing humans have ever thought up.

How is it "degrading"? :lolwut: If anything it is degrading it's that you expect females to repress their sexuality and deny their humanity, which is not only harmful but sexist.

Thanks for your input, it's interesting to take on board your perspectives. However, you seem to have entirely misinterpreted almost everything I have said.

When you speak of "men commenting to other men", I don't disagree with that, I agree it is natural. My problem is the nature of those comments, most of which are almost always disrespectful. I also acknowledge it is an old concept.

Next you asked, "why must they be frowned upon?". If you read again carefully what I typed, I stated that "out of control comments" towards women should be frowned upon, not mere compliments. Please read more carefully to avoid confusion.

The point that "men find women sexually appealing" is irrelevant. We all know that. I'm simply stating that I don't condone the usage of extreme language towards females, much of what I've heard from countless experiences whilst associating myself with my own so called friends.

There's no need for all the sarcasm in your argument either, I fully understand what you're trying to say without this. I would rather you didn't, not only because it's unecessary and makes you come across as some sort of smart ass, but also because it gives the impression that you are taking me for an idiot, and I don't appreciate that. Thanks. :smile: No I wasn't alive in the 1950's, but neither was you - "Men were exactly the same back then" that's a bold statement considering that you weren't alive in the 50s either.
All I'm saying is that there is plenty of evidence to support my argument, from a great number of sources, whether it have been caught on film, in music, or the actual foretold experiences of those who lived through that era.

I am more of aware of the sexual imagery present in the writings of Shakespeare and many others throughout history. What's the problem with this? I have no objection, but what I do object to is quite frankly, insulting sexual remarks that are made day-in-day-out that most girls I know find disgusting.

"In other words, money and bitches"? I don't think so. Nice try, but that's not a good enough explanation.

In regards to your secular views, I find it quite baffling and concerning that you I actually think "God taught that sex was the most awful thing". You are most mistaken! In actual fact, there are multiple quotes from the Bible that indicate God strongly supported it.

Of course there are such things as sexually revealling clothes. You can't be serious. A lot of clothing is now designed to show more.

"Why does respect correlate with what clothes you wear and not the character of the person?". I'll tell you why, because whether you like it or not, the appearance of somebody gives a sub-conscious insight about there character, usually most applicable under first impressions. That is ultimately common sense.

Finally, I do not expect females to repress their sexuality and deny there humanity at all. If anything I am trying to protect it from destruction and suppression by the very type of people I am objecting against.
Because much more females are more equal in society than they were in the past.
Cos bitches be hoes these days
But young women ARE sex symbols. They are sexually attractive to men.
And it is natural for men to comment on this to other men.
This is not a new concept.
Perhaps, but to say that woman has really nice (insert bodily part) in front of them, is quite rude tbf

Why must they be frowned upon? :confused: How is complimenting someone something to be frowned upon?
Well, I would have thought it's more pervy no? ie: if you say "I'd tap that" in front of a woman, then that's a bit more than complimenting - creepy even

Men were exactly the same back then. In fact they've pretty much been that way for hundreds of thousands of years.
The difference being, every thing is in the open now

There's no thing as "sexually revealing" clothes. There are clothes which hide what you really look like, and then there's no clothes. Your true human form.
Well, tbh there are actually.

One is neither more "sexually revealing" than the other, because the human body is not inherently sexual in appearance.
Well, unless you're an obese guy, then yeah it actually is. If a woman walked out naked, she'd definitely turn a lot of heads

Exactly, this is what rational people argue. You should treat someone respectfully whether they are wearing clothes or not. Why does respect correlate with what clothes you wear and not the character of the person?
The issue here isn't treating people differently because of the clothes they wear, but because of who they are. I mean, it's only courteous to do things like open doors to any one, regardless of their gender
Reply 25
females don't act like ladies.
The ones who act as if they're ladies don't actually give a man what a lady is meant to.

If you want me to be a gentlemen, you'll have to:
1) Have sex whenever I want
2) have anal when you're on your period
3) cook for me when your hungry
4) have kids when I want them

this is all tradition k
Reply 26
Original post by de_monies
You do actually make a good point, though a lot of this negativity is from chavs, who tend to scare away women and make remarks at them when they're walking past

Exactly, I know what you mean. Chavs don't seem to have respect or dignity of any form at all.

Though, a lot is generalising, and I've generalised as well myself. There are people out there that don't act like that; in my town I genuinely shocked an old couple just for opening a door (You could see the shock on their faces)

I've been in similar situations as this, it's no surprise. There just seems to be a whole lack of courteous actions in almost every town.

Perhaps, it's more that mutual respect seems to have gone a bit?

I couldn't agree with you more, maybe it is mutual respect, I was actually going to base my problems with this on another thread.
Reply 27
Original post by Cassius1993
There's a thread about "Women and children first on a sinking ship" bouncing around at the moment. You'll find a lot of responses on there quite interesting regarding your question

Thankyou very much, appreciate that.
Why aren't people treating people like people anymore? :iiam:
Reply 29
If women actually acted and behaved like ladies then I might feel inclined to treat them as such.
Reply 30
Original post by Forget that
I'm sorry, I really was appreciating what you were saying until the first reason you give is 'rap music' :colonhash:
Really? The number of times this is used in various arguments is ridiculous. It should be the pop music industry that should be held responsible,
aired far more often and many young children listen to it and are influenced by the ever increasing sexualized language.
I know many would probably disagree, but i think it's wrong to blame the whole of society's problems on a genre of music

I fully understand your point, but I would like to stress that I was certainly not blaming any of society's problems on any genre of music.
What I said was, and I quote "male artists singing and rapping", confirming I actually agree with you - the pop music industry too. I couldn't agree with you more.

In all honestly, I would have been quite blunt to suggest that all these problems were caused by rap. I assure you, I wasn't suggesting that at all, but rather was insinuating that some rap artists glorify, promote and condone what I'm arguing against in their music. There are in fact many varieties of rap/hip hop that are completely different and I have no objection to those.
Reply 31
Original post by Discouraged One
Why aren't people treating people like people anymore? :iiam:

Absolutely.
Reply 32
Original post by Golden_Boy786
OP could of made his life a lot easier by just saying "lets get rid of rap music". :tongue:

Again, I will make it absolutely clear: I am in no way blaming rap music for this issue, nor am I blaming any single genre of music for any issue at all. Thankyou.
Original post by loz957
If women actually acted and behaved like ladies then I might feel inclined to treat them as such.

In your opinion, how is a 'lady' supposed to act? What are the characteristics of a 'lady'?
Reply 34
Original post by Jimbo1234
Because most women nowadays are not ladies :redface:

These women drink like men, act like men, sound like men etc. These women would actually feel uncomfortable if they were treated like ladies.

An interesting point, but as every person is different, I think you might find that there are a whole lot of women that would relish the oppertunity to be treated like a Lady, rather than something on lower terms.
Ok, I accept some may not, but whilst many others do.
Thanks for your input.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by jackmikeMon
When you speak of "men commenting to other men", I don't disagree with that, I agree it is natural. My problem is the nature of those comments, most of which are almost always disrespectful. I also acknowledge it is an old concept.

But it is not your opinion which is relevant when interpreting the perceived "respectfulness" of those compliments. It is only to those who the compliments are directed to, or to those who those comments were directed to.

You cannot decide for others what is "respectful" and not.

Next you asked, "why must they be frowned upon?". If you read again carefully what I typed, I stated that "out of control comments" towards women should be frowned upon, not mere compliments. Please read more carefully to avoid confusion.

What gives you the impression that they are "out of control"? This may be an misinterpretation on your part.

The point that "men find women sexually appealing" is irrelevant. We all know that. I'm simply stating that I don't condone the usage of extreme language towards females, much of what I've heard from countless experiences whilst associating myself with my own so called friends.

What constitutes "extreme language"? Because what you perceive as "extreme language" may not be so for others.

And 'my so called friends'? Ouch. I hope they're not reading this.

All I'm saying is that there is plenty of evidence to support my argument, from a great number of sources, whether it have been caught on film, in music, or the actual foretold experiences of those who lived through that era.

The popular culture such as films and music romanticised and portrayed society in a way which distorted reality. The idea that everything was more innocent in those days is false. People took drugs, had promiscuous sex, got drunk and beat up their wives, abused their kids and homosexuals existed in much the same manner as they do today. Except in that society, appearances were everything and such things were kept hidden from public view if possible, and what was made public through films and music was a superficial and fake representation. It was an age of denial and superficiality. A bit like how Victorians represented themselves as "sexually moral" and puritan and covered up Greek statues, yet 1 in 50 people in Britain were prostitutes directly contradicting their own beliefs.

I am more of aware of the sexual imagery present in the writings of Shakespeare and many others throughout history. What's the problem with this? I have no objection, but what I do object to is quite frankly, insulting sexual remarks that are made day-in-day-out that most girls I know find disgusting.

Such as? We cannot know what you're talking about unless you're explicit. What kind of sexual remarks?

"In other words, money and bitches"? I don't think so. Nice try, but that's not a good enough explanation.
They have been symbols of power and masculinity since time immemorial. If you were a King, you'd have many concubines and sex parties. And probably a few sex slaves. And jewels and "bling" showing off your wealth.

In regards to your secular views, I find it quite baffling and concerning that you I actually think "God taught that sex was the most awful thing". You are most mistaken! In actual fact, there are multiple quotes from the Bible that indicate God strongly supported it.

That's not what I said. I said people in the long gone era you keep reminiscing about were encouraged to think that "God loves you and you will go to Hell", and that "sex is the most disgusting awful thing" and you should save it for someone you love. Hence the inherent contradictions society encouraged.

Of course there are such things as sexually revealling clothes. You can't be serious. A lot of clothing is now designed to show more.
There is nothing sexual about skin.
What actually causes sexual desire is clothes and sexualising the human body by mystifying it. If people walked around naked normally, the human body wouldn't be seen as such an inherently sexual object in appearance. It was the emergence of clothes which allowed cleavage which fetishized breasts into the sex objects they are today. A fully naked body is not as sexual as a body partially clothed because what is hidden or obscured is more sexually appealing than that which is in plain sight. "Forbidden fruits". That's why people spend lots of money on sexy lingerie.

"Why does respect correlate with what clothes you wear and not the character of the person?". I'll tell you why, because whether you like it or not, the appearance of somebody gives a sub-conscious insight about there character, usually most applicable under first impressions. That is ultimately common sense.

It's a superficial and shallow way to judge a person, which is ultimately inaccurate. A very nice person can often wears joggers and trainers whereas an evil psychopath might often wear a 'respectable' suit and tie. Just because it's your natural reaction doesn't mean it's rational. Judging someone's character on what they wear is superficial to the nth degree. But this is the type of thinking you seem keen to promote...

Finally, I do not expect females to repress their sexuality and deny there humanity at all. If anything I am trying to protect it from destruction and suppression by the very type of people I am objecting against.

How is commenting on sexuality "destroying" and "suppressing" it? How exactly are you "protecting" them? From what exactly?
Women shouldn't be treated like 'ladies'. They should be treated like fellow humans.

Treating someone in a respectful or disrespectful way because of their sex or gender is sexist. Just be nice to people and don't be a rude, objectifying turd. It's not hard.
I try to treat women with respect, but I find most of them just want to cuddle up and watch X Factor, I'm a Celeb, Big Brother etc, whilst eating a take away, with a copy of Gossip Magazine beside them for when they get bored and start taking calls from 'the galz'.

All we guys want to do is act like men around them, but nowadays it seems like it's chix b4 dix.

All in all, females don't seem very feminine any more.

Luckily there's a snooker club near my house, so she can watch Simon Cowell all by herself.
Reply 38
I do not recall the last time that a lady treated me like a gentleman, yet I would like to think that I am one.

blame mother nature:smile:

Quick Reply