The Student Room Group

Lowkey has left the music industry

Not sure how many Lowkey fans are here, but he just posted his moving away from his music career to focus on his studies.

After many months of contemplation I have decided to step away from music and concentrate on my studies. Maybe at some point I will get back into it again but at this stage I feel I should direct my energy in different, more helpful directions. The ego is a destructive thing and I feel this business and these social networks in particular have a tendency to feed it in an unhealthy way. I will be decactivating this page. Thank you for all those who have supported me over the years. See you on the other side people.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lowkey/14141524981

He was a big inspiration for myself and a lot of young people, and it'll be good to see what opportunities he saw to make a bigger difference to people than he already was.

Scroll to see replies

Silence>crap music.
Reply 2
Ohh waaah!
Reply 3
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Silence>crap music.

Why bother to post you dickhead?
Reply 4
Thank God for that. #stoplowkey2012

At least all of these confused teenagers will be able to educate themselves independently now instead of turning to lowkey to provide them with a viewpoint to follow for every issue there is.
(edited 11 years ago)
I listened to some of his music before and thought it was pretty good. Thanks for posting OP
Reply 6
He's one of the few UK rappers I like so pretty grim to hear this.
Reply 7
Original post by xTazx
Not sure how many Lowkey fans are here, but he just posted his moving away from his music career to focus on his studies.

After many months of contemplation I have decided to step away from music and concentrate on my studies. Maybe at some point I will get back into it again but at this stage I feel I should direct my energy in different, more helpful directions. The ego is a destructive thing and I feel this business and these social networks in particular have a tendency to feed it in an unhealthy way. I will be decactivating this page. Thank you for all those who have supported me over the years. See you on the other side people.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lowkey/14141524981

He was a big inspiration for myself and a lot of young people, and it'll be good to see what opportunities he saw to make a bigger difference to people than he already was.

omg.omg. what the hell? i saw him live only a few months ago... i even met the dude and hes so cool and a legend. Right now i'm listening to lowkey's new track with akala and he's stopping? Wtf. :frown:
P.s he truly is the best in the industry, a real conscious rapper who talks about real issues :frown:((((((
Reply 8
Unlike most music artist, he actually had a message in his music. The fact that people don't like him is their choice.
As for Lowkey, he says he is going to continue with his studies, I wish him all the best and can see him becoming a lecturer of some sort with the experience he has.
I'm sure he'll return to music in the future. It's too addictive.
Original post by Summering
Lol what makes you think his music is crap?!?

Well, I've heard it.
This has ruined my day. wtf
Reply 11
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Well, I've heard it.

But what specifically? His accent? message? flow?
Original post by Summering
But what specifically? His accent? message? flow?

His genre actually. Maybe he's good amongst his circle, but that's like being the pretties toad.
Reply 13
LOWWWKKEYYYY NOOOOOOOO D:

Ahhh well.
SAles probably weren't good enough :redface:
Reply 14
#sadtimes
Original post by Mehmoodd
LOWWWKKEYYYY NOOOOOOOO D:

Ahhh well.
SAles probably weren't good enough :redface:

stop trolling, he wasnt in it for the "sales"
Reply 16
Original post by dongonaeatu
stop trolling, he wasnt in it for the "sales"

It's not trolling...
I liked his music, but he had to make a living right?

correct me if i'm wrong :tongue:
Never heard of him.
I think it's a good thing tbh, I used to like the geezer a few years back but the music took a backseat to ideology and the ideology started to become less what I could identify with, maybe he was just getting more and more frustrated with industry politics but what he said about the ego being destructive is the main thing here in terms of his music's decline imo. It's not just about quitting music, quitting his Facebook and that as well shows he's finally ready to just step out of the limelight for a bit and I think that's a good thing cause for a long time I think he just was getting more and more gassed off being seen as this prophet, having all these people comment on his increasingly extreme updates and that. The time out should do him good plus he'll probably return init, and be back on form when he does cause I ain't been able to listen to him for a couple of years now
Original post by Mehmoodd
It's not trolling...
I liked his music, but he had to make a living right?

correct me if i'm wrong :tongue:

You think he wasnt making a living? His album went top off the hip hop itunes chart and he has 186k followers on fb... His album cost 10 pounds and his gig i went to cost 7 quid. Most of this will go to charity but obviously he kept some to get by.

Quick Reply

Latest