The Student Room Group

Help! (A2 economics)

I really want my A in economics but I feel like I know nothing :frown:
I managed to get an A in my AS level but resitting one of the modules (Module 2) to hopefully bring the UMS up a little.

There just seems like there is just so much to do!!

How do people revise? What do you use?

I've bought the AQA endorsed book and using it every day but I don't feel like it's sticking!!

Help, economists!
Reply 1
There is quite a lot to do, but it's mainly a case of learning definitions, understanding diagrams, and being able to stick together a decent argument.

I revised by copying out and practicing the graphs, and rewriting all the information into a sort of booklet. I found this the easiest way to make everything sink in.

You'll also find that learning a handful of versatile quotes will come in use: a bit of Samuelson in a conclusion tends to attract a tick or two.
Reply 2
Original post by TGH1
There is quite a lot to do, but it's mainly a case of learning definitions, understanding diagrams, and being able to stick together a decent argument.

I revised by copying out and practicing the graphs, and rewriting all the information into a sort of booklet. I found this the easiest way to make everything sink in.

You'll also find that learning a handful of versatile quotes will come in use: a bit of Samuelson in a conclusion tends to attract a tick or two.

Is it possible for you to give me an example of a versatile quote? And thank you!! I've done a list of all the diagrams I need to know, working with friends, etc. Just hope it's enough :frown:
Reply 3
For what its worth, its all a matter of understanding how to write a good essay. I got a low D in AS and decided to take AS+A2 3 months later and got a 95 UMS A* overall. Shock of the century for people at my school and the teachers LOL.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Azland
For what its worth, its all a matter of understanding how to write a good essay. I got a low D in AS and decided to take AS+A2 3 months later and got a 95 UMS A* overall. Shock of the century for people at my school and the teachers LOL.

Could you give me any techniques that you use? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by BlackAlpaca
Is it possible for you to give me an example of a versatile quote? And thank you!! I've done a list of all the diagrams I need to know, working with friends, etc. Just hope it's enough :frown:

I will when I find one from my notes XD (I vaguely remember a few, but I can't guarantee that they're word for word perfect.)

I'm not sure what your exam board's like, but my experience with WJEC led me to believe that as long as your knowledge of economic theory is solid, and you have a reasonable knowledge of current affairs, you should be able to come out with a top mark. Furthermore, some of the questions were very, very predictable. For example, an essay on the relationship between debt and economic growth came up - essentially the most well worn question of the past few years in macroeconomics.

As long as you read over the questions, and plan ahead - before and during the exam - you should be able to get an A :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by BlackAlpaca
Could you give me any techniques that you use? :biggrin:

Well it depends based on the question but I would learn several diagrams as it shows you have a grasp on the concept. Also it keeps them interested instead of having to read some sort of long story. Also for what its worth my board was CIE. We didnt have modules and were expected to learn the entire A2 syllabus and expect any question from it on the exam day. I'm guessing you have exams topic wise which should make it easier for you to learn evaluation points.
Original post by TGH1
I will when I find one from my notes XD (I vaguely remember a few, but I can't guarantee that they're word for word perfect.)

I'm not sure what your exam board's like, but my experience with WJEC led me to believe that as long as your knowledge of economic theory is solid, and you have a reasonable knowledge of current affairs, you should be able to come out with a top mark. Furthermore, some of the questions were very, very predictable. For example, an essay on the relationship between debt and economic growth came up - essentially the most well worn question of the past few years in macroeconomics.

As long as you read over the questions, and plan ahead - before and during the exam - you should be able to get an A :smile:

Hello im also currently studying AS economic with WJEC, im not sure how i should go about my revison? and how did you revise and what tips would you give me since you got an A.
Reply 8
Original post by Michelle_Ching24
Hello im also currently studying AS economic with WJEC, im not sure how i should go about my revison? and how did you revise and what tips would you give me since you got an A.

Hello :smile: For AS Level, I produced a themed booklet (one that splits the different topics) which contained all the definitions, examples and diagrams. A handful of past papers should be sufficient to cover what you need for the short answer questions - as long as you understand the basic concepts, they can't throw anything too strenuous at you - while remembering applied examples for things including changes to exchange rates, for instance, should ensure a solid mark.

If you know everything for the tests, you should be fine :biggrin:

On a side note, assuming you live Greenwich Mean Time, you should put revise the earlier side of midnight. The definitions stick more easily :colondollar:
Reply 9
Original post by Michelle_Ching24

I always found that working with a friend helps. Try getting someone who is at your level. This is because you don't want to have to carry them and don't want to be lost with some uber-genious.

Combine your notes and the chances are between the both of yous, you'll generate decent notes.

It won't work if you both aren't serious and mess around :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest