The Student Room Group

Admiral are awful.

I got a quote of £1460 which is reasonable considering the car is a 1.6 and I've only been passed a month. But when I stated I wanted to pay monthly they said the price would increase to £2290. They said it was because I would lose a "discount" said discount was never mentioned at all in the original quote, I understand that paying monthly will increase your premium, normally by about £150-£200. But not by £800. At this point my dad said he would pay the upfront £1460 and I pay him back monthly instead, problem solved, or so I thought, they then said they were increasing the premium to £1800 as he was a named driver and he had and accident, this accident was a woman driving into his car when it was parked and smashing his wing mirror off, which was covered by the other driver's insurance company, and he nor his insurance company paid for anything. Why should my premium, or his for that matter, rise because someone else can't look where they are going, this whole business has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Has anyone else had problems with Admiral before?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

*saves snoop dogg signature image to computer*

O.O''
Reply 2
Yes - I had an absolute nightmare with them. Personally I'd look elsewhere, bearing in mind that they are a group along with Diamond, Elephant, and others.
Reply 3
Original post by Bezaberry
I got a quote of £1460 which is reasonable considering the car is a 1.6 and I've only been passed a month. But when I stated I wanted to pay monthly they said the price would increase to £2290. They said it was because I would lose a "discount" said discount was never mentioned at all in the original quote, I understand that paying monthly will increase your premium, normally by about £150-£200. But not by £800. At this point my dad said he would pay the upfront £1460 and I pay him back monthly instead, problem solved, or so I thought, they then said they were increasing the premium to £1800 as he was a named driver and he had and accident, this accident was a woman driving into his car when it was parked and smashing his wing mirror off, which was covered by the other driver's insurance company, and he nor his insurance company paid for anything. Why should my premium, or his for that matter, rise because someone else can't look where they are going, this whole business has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Has anyone else had problems with Admiral before?

Its unfair I know but the reason pay monthly is more is that when you pay for insurance at once its put in a high interest account to make more money. When you pay monthly however they do not get this so the interest they would make is added to your premium when you pay monthly . Unfair I know .

Also your insurance has gone up because youe dad regardless of fault has been involved in an incidient so is seen as more of a risk as such his premium will be higher. Total joke to be honest as he wasn't even in the car but there we go .

Dont know on your circumstances but try a multi car policy saved me £200+ :smile:
Hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
*saves snoop dogg signature image to computer*

O.O''

Haha, brilliant isn't it!
Reply 5
Original post by shelly1
Yes - I had an absolute nightmare with them. Personally I'd look elsewhere, bearing in mind that they are a group along with Diamond, Elephant, and others.

They recommended those two when we said we were going elsewhere, haha.
Reply 6
Have to agree, Admiral are dickheads! Lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ryan17.
Its unfair I know but the reason pay monthly is more is that when you pay for insurance at once its put in a high interest account to make more money. When you pay monthly however they do not get this so the interest they would make is added to your premium when you pay monthly . Unfair I know .

Also your insurance has gone up because youe dad regardless of fault has been involved in an incidient so is seen as more of a risk as such his premium will be higher. Total joke to be honest as he wasn't even in the car but there we go .

Dont know on your circumstances but try a multi car policy saved me £200+ :smile:
Hope this helps

Aye I know, but I had another quote with a different company of 1650 and it only went up to 1770 when paid monthly, not a rise of £800.

Aye, just seems a little unjust that other people's mistakes cost you money, as you say he wasn't even in the car (the woman even tried to run away, but he chased her down, turns out she worked in the insurance section of my local ford dealership, to add irony to injury) so he isn't the risk, he hasn't had an accident in 30 years. So I don't understand why it's relevent.

Aye, but no one in my family will go with Admiral after this, so multicar is out the window :/
Insurance companies do absolutely everything to increase your premium. Unfortunately if somebody rams your car, your insurance will also go up as you are now deemed higher risk statistically.

Insurance charges have rocketed in the last 3 years. Every company has their excuse (Direct Line hiked their prices and blamed the winter snow for example) but we all know the truth is these companies were heavily invested in dodgy shares and toxic assets in collusion with the big banks. Where else do you think they invested those huge pots of cash? So yep, social losses, private gains.
Reply 9
Reply 10
Original post by eff01
Have to agree, Admiral are dickheads! Lol

Indeed!
If you can go elsewhere do. Your renewal price will be about 210% your previous year. I'm risking taking my business elsewhere - can't see how it can get any worse. Also I had to make a claim against someone who reversed into my car, it was the biggest ball ache ever - no help in arranging anything, so difficult to get hold of and cost me almost £100.

Do not recommend. (I'm with Diamond by the way). I'd rather pay a higher premium and actually get some kind of service. Also the repair centre under diamond insurance looked like it was run by kids - doesn't fill one with confidence. Though the work done seems ok... we'll see.
Ask admiral for a multi car policy quote, and put your voluntary excess to £1,000 (if you haven't already done so).

Are you main driver, fully comp etc?
Reply 13
I faced the same issue with my car when insuring with Bell. £750 odd to pay it up front, but £188 a month!!

To be fair, I bought a powerful car and they offered the best price by miles so I just swallowed the premium in one go. Which hurt.

Young drivers get screwed left right and centre - that is just how it works!
your local you can get insurance. For me it will cost 6-7 grand to insure (thats with a smart box) a 1.2 fiesta on a full licence. On the other hand for my sister on her provisional it would cost her approx £3-4 thousand and around £2-3 thousand on a full licence.

I have decided to make a drastic decision as my quotes are to expensive. So i have decided fronting will be my ticket out off this hell hole. My mother has decided to get her provisional licence renewed and also to use it to become the main driver on the policy and me a additional driver. The quote we received together was £2,800. She has also decided to pay for the insurance and i will do the same for the car. (downside i will have to take my mum and sister to and from church. Their personally taxi driver lol)

Pretty hapz my mums doing this, as i was about to get a motorcycle 33bhp.
Reply 15
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me
your local you can get insurance. For me it will cost 6-7 grand to insure (thats with a smart box) a 1.2 fiesta on a full licence. On the other hand for my sister on her provisional it would cost her approx £3-4 thousand and around £2-3 thousand on a full licence.

I have decided to make a drastic decision as my quotes are to expensive. So i have decided fronting will be my ticket out off this hell hole. My mother has decided to get her provisional licence renewed and also to use it to become the main driver on the policy and me a additional driver. The quote we received together was £2,800. She has also decided to pay for the insurance and i will do the same for the car. (downside i will have to take my mum and sister to and from church. Their personally taxi driver lol)

Pretty hapz my mums doing this, as i was about to get a motorcycle 33bhp.

How old are you and where do you live? I'm 22 and live in the country.
Reply 16
Yep Admiral are a bunch of C***s, don't ever go with them. They tried to put our multicar policy premium up by £1800 and were going to take it off the credit card registered to the account without even telling us why they wanted the extra money! Turns out it was for a NON FAULT claim that my Mum had against a one of those OAP mong scooter chariot things where the guy didn't see a massive 4x4 truck and drove straight into her causing slight damage to the OAP mong chariot and no damage to the car. The damage to the chariot somehow came to £400 which was completely fabricated and a lie but Admiral paid it, then somehow that translates into a £1800 increase on the premium. HOW!?

Anyway, we argued for months that we had told them about the 'accident' and sent letters to the Ombudsman until finally they checked the tapes and whudda thunk it, we were right, they knew all along. So they put us through all that grief and threats of cancelling our insurance policies when they had made a mistake all along. Do we get any compensation or an apology for that, do we f***.

Stay well clear from these cowboys (and the rest of EUI)
When someone drove into my parked car and smashed the wing mirror I made them give me cash. Not having my premiums sky high next year because some dickhead can't drive properly.

I had admiral first year of driving, and wanted to swap the car insurance. Was cheaper to pay the cancellation charge and get a refund and take it out elsewhere then it was to just change the insurance from a 98 corsa to a 52 one :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Bezaberry

First off, they aren't "increasing your premium" when you choose to pay monthly. When you pay monthly, they loan you the full amount and expect you to pay it back, plus interest.

The interest rates are generated based on the same factors that any finance company/bank would use to generate your interest rates. Factors such as age, employment status, credit history, position on electoral role, etc. So it could well be that, being so young, you have a poor or non-existent credit history, you'll probably have a poor employment status, and may not even be on the electoral role, hence your high interest rates upon borrowing.

As for the other thing about your dad's accident... well, yes, that is a bit ridiculous. But why are you adding him as a named driver if it's going to increase your premium so much? If your dad has his own car (and is fully comp) then he probably (although not definitely) has third party cover to drive any other insured vehicle, so if he needs to drive your car he can do it under that.

If you're wanting to put on a named driver with more experience to reduce your premium, just picks somebody else who hasn't been involved in an accident and preferably is female - to get the fanny discount.
Reply 19
Hastings.

Just putting it out there.

A very good insurance provider.

Quick Reply