The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neimar
Hi guys,

I'd like to know sth more on the MArch Graduate Architectrual Design course at Bartlett. What kind of stuff (design) they cover. Is it more theoretical crap or there is sth about design?

I have applied and got a conditional offer, so with any luck I'll be able to tell you from the horse's moth in september :wink:

I think it depends on what you consider design and what your previous education background have been...
Reply 1921
Hi everyone!

Ok I need to choose between Dundee and Strathclyde and i'm honestly having a really hard time comparing the two :s I want to be really sure before i make a decision

Anyone have any thoughts on which is better and why ????????
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help
finally heard back from Sheffield two days ago - got an offer yay! the issue now is deciding between glasgow art school and sheffield.... any advice? these are my two favourites out of all my offers, and i literally don't have a clue which to choose! any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated :smile: thanks :smile: xxx
Original post by gropius92
Congratulations!! did u send them the portfolio and seat the interview before receiving your offer? I haven't heard from them yet!

it took a while for them to get back to me but I got an interview and had to bring my portfolio to the interview
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
finally heard back from Sheffield two days ago - got an offer yay! the issue now is deciding between glasgow art school and sheffield.... any advice? these are my two favourites out of all my offers, and i literally don't have a clue which to choose! any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated :smile: thanks :smile: xxx

I would go for Sheffield, I firmed Sheffield so therefore you could say I'm slightly biased. But its one of the best in the country, and even though I'm currently in Japan Architects here respect the school. One of the biggest things for me though was the fact that the course seemed to be very evenly weighted between the scientific and artistic side of Architecture, which is my preference for an undergrad course.
I dont really know anything about Glasgow, so can't really compare, but there's my thoughts hha.
Original post by pretzl.logic
I would go for Sheffield, I firmed Sheffield so therefore you could say I'm slightly biased. But its one of the best in the country, and even though I'm currently in Japan Architects here respect the school. One of the biggest things for me though was the fact that the course seemed to be very evenly weighted between the scientific and artistic side of Architecture, which is my preference for an undergrad course.
I dont really know anything about Glasgow, so can't really compare, but there's my thoughts hha.

Haha thanks! I've heard people who've said similar about Glasgow though so I dont know really :smile: I'm tempted to firm Sheffield purely because then I can have glasgow as insurance and so if the worst comes to the worst and I decide I want Glasgow then I can still theoretically ask sheff if they'll let me go. Idk really. Anyone else got any opinions?:smile: xxx
Haha thanks! I've heard people who've said similar about Glasgow though so I dont know really :smile: I'm tempted to firm Sheffield purely because then I can have glasgow as insurance and so if the worst comes to the worst and I decide I want Glasgow then I can still theoretically ask sheff if they'll let me go. Idk really. Anyone else got any opinions?:smile: xxx

Sheffield every time, then again I have firmed it. It is better ranked than Glasgow, honestly i don't know a lot about Glasgow. But the university of Sheffield is lovely, the tutors seem really friendly, the course is well balanced, the studios and facilities are amazing and to top it all off they have these really interesting lifts in the Arts Tower that you just have to go on. And you might as well have Glasgow as an insurance if the grades you need to get are lower
Original post by Claire888
Sheffield every time, then again I have firmed it. It is better ranked than Glasgow, honestly i don't know a lot about Glasgow. But the university of Sheffield is lovely, the tutors seem really friendly, the course is well balanced, the studios and facilities are amazing and to top it all off they have these really interesting lifts in the Arts Tower that you just have to go on. And you might as well have Glasgow as an insurance if the grades you need to get are lower

thanks! i've not really taken rankings into account much as most of the employers i've spoken with told me that rankings aren't so high on their list of priorities and stuff. i think i'll see if it's as good as i remember it when i go to the open day on wednesday and yeah. my only hesitation is that glasgow is such an architecturally diverse city wheras sheffield doesn't really have quite the same level of diversity. idk really, just trying to get as many people's opinions as possible :smile: xxx

Ye sounds wise. Who knows might see you next year hha x
Reply 1929
Original post by Amy-Margarita
Haha yeah Newcastle was great, but I'm getting more and more tempted by Edinburgh. Have you heard anything from Liverpool by now? Was your portfolio deadline the 7th of March per chance? :smile: Yeah I saw the work, at every open day I've been to the work I have seen has been amazing - its encouraging but so daunting at the same time - I just want to start doing it NOW! :smile: x

so sorry for the late reply! Liverpool has gotten back to me already and i've already firmed with Newcastle! haha. Edinburgh is a great place to go! and i would really encourage you to go there. (:

Kinda excited to go over to Newcastle! (:
thanks! i've not really taken rankings into account much as most of the employers i've spoken with told me that rankings aren't so high on their list of priorities and stuff. i think i'll see if it's as good as i remember it when i go to the open day on wednesday and yeah. my only hesitation is that glasgow is such an architecturally diverse city wheras sheffield doesn't really have quite the same level of diversity. idk really, just trying to get as many people's opinions as possible :smile: xxx

Yeah, well I realize they are really biased but it does give a rough guide, it wasn't only that at all that made me decide on Sheffield. Ah well if you're going to an open day they will have a speech about the diversity of the city, they basically say that it isn't a problem and it is actually an advantage because they can partner with architectural firms etc. I'm sure it gets said at every open day so listen out for that!
Original post by aeaeii
Hello ~
I'm having trouble choosing between Sheffield and AA school,,
Can anyone give me some advice plz? :smile:

I would choose AA
Reply 1932
Anyone here know which is the nicest accomodation in Nottingham that is self catered and close to the Architecture Dept. ?
Original post by sirage94
Anyone here know which is the nicest accomodation in Nottingham that is self catered and close to the Architecture Dept. ?

I liked Cripps, it isn't the closest but it isn't a long walk, the closest i think was Lincoln, but that really wasn't as nice. So I would say choose the nicer halls over a bit of distance (but like i said there isn't much in it)
Reply 1934
I liked Cripps, it isn't the closest but it isn't a long walk, the closest i think was Lincoln, but that really wasn't as nice. So I would say choose the nicer halls over a bit of distance (but like i said there isn't much in it)

Thanks for the reply :smile: where exactly on this map is the Architecture Department ? http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodationoptions/accommodationoptions.aspx Thanks again !
Thanks for the reply :smile: where exactly on this map is the Architecture Department ? http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodationoptions/accommodationoptions.aspx Thanks again !

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/sharedresources/documents/mapuniversitypark.pdf
Use this, it gives a better idea of how close things are
Reply 1936
you legend. last one: have you got any clue when nottingham begin to accept accomodation applications ? Thanks
you legend. last one: have you got any clue when nottingham begin to accept accomodation applications ? Thanks

No sorry, although I applied and got an offer but I didn't firm it, so I won't have to go through the process. I would have thought it was available now but I don't really know. However when I went to an open day I was talking to one of the people who runs accommodation and they said that you cant actually choose which college you want to be placed into. What you can do is say which college you would prefer in your application, in the comments section and hope for the best. Generally they just place you on the room type you want and try to put you in the closest place to your course :smile:
Reply 1938
No sorry, although I applied and got an offer but I didn't firm it, so I won't have to go through the process. I would have thought it was available now but I don't really know. However when I went to an open day I was talking to one of the people who runs accommodation and they said that you cant actually choose which college you want to be placed into. What you can do is say which college you would prefer in your application, in the comments section and hope for the best. Generally they just place you on the room type you want and try to put you in the closest place to your course :smile:

I see. Seeing as you've visited Nottingham, what did you like about it ? and what did you not like about it if anything? What are your first and second choices if u dont mind me asking :P
I see. Seeing as you've visited Nottingham, what did you like about it ? and what did you not like about it if anything? What are your first and second choices if u dont mind me asking :P

Well I generally liked the university, the campus is really nice, I live in Nottingham (so obviously like the city and already know it), my mum and brother both went there and liked it and I liked the idea of the catered college like accommodation. As for the course, the building was really new and so built to purpose, the course is based a lot on eco-architecture (something i'm really interested) and they are doing current research on site, the studio was 24hrs and they had amazing trips.

So basically I really loved it, problem was I can't realistically get the grades I needed for it. Anyway my first choice is Sheffield second is LJMU.

Quick Reply

Latest