The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why is homophobia still acceptable?

As in the title, why is homophobia still acceptable? when racism and sexism are rightly unacceptable now (to most) why is homophobia still acceptable?

especially in the backwards hole that is america where organisations exist like the family research council or narth who advocate homosexuals being essentially tortured into being straight and that homosexuality needs "curing"

on a side note DYKWIA STAY OFF THIS THREAD.

Scroll to see replies

It won't be this way for much longer. Historically people in the western world have always had a group/groups against whom they discriminate for reasons that aren't logical and rational. So far it has been black people, muslims, jews, mentally ill people, atheists, and whichever christians of different sects. Before long it'll move onto somebody else. I'm not condoning it at all, I'm just recognising that people in the west have historically tended to follow these sorts of patterns without realising that they're following the pattern.

Oh, and before DYKWIA arrives: homosexuality =/= gay marriage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Retrodiction

Oh, and before DYKWIA arrives: homosexuality =/= gay marriage.

sadly its all gay rights hes against, he makes me ashamed to be human
It's the latest civil rights issue, so it makes sense that we're not all the way there yet when it comes to being tolerant. Progress takes time, so although we're moving in the right direction when it comes to gay rights, there are still a lot of people who use their religious beliefs to justify bigotry (to clarify, I think it's ok to privately think that homosexuality is wrong for religious reasons or other reasons, but it becomes a problem when people use that as an excuse to discriminate against others). Homophobia is sadly still more acceptable than racism and sexism, but it's a lot less acceptable than it was just a decade ago. So we're moving slowly towards tolerance, more slowly than we should, but these things take time and we're getting there.
Reply 4
Original post by alex5455

Quoted him for teh lulz.

DYKWIA
x
Reply 5
Original post by alex5455
As in the title, why is homophobia still acceptable? when racism and sexism are rightly unacceptable now (to most) why is homophobia still acceptable?

especially in the backwards hole that is america where organisations exist like the family research council or narth who advocate homosexuals being essentially tortured into being straight and that homosexuality needs "curing"

I wonder if you could define homophobia and give as many clear, real-world examples of it as you can. I find it to be a pretty vague term, like "racism", that basically serves as a weapon, mud to throw at someone to discredit them and their views no matter what they are.

Also I'm curious about this torture you speak of, more info? Where does it happen?
Reply 6
Obviously. because there is freedom of religion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
If homophobia becomes unacceptable then that becomes discrimination within itself; you wouldn't not tolerate someone who has a fear of spiders - it's just a fear that they have developed.
Homophobia isn't right but shouldn't be completely criticised.
However, acting on homophobia and active discrimination of gays is unacceptable of course.
Reply 8
Tbh i wouldnt use America as a source for how normal people do behave and should behave.
Reply 9
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Because people ignorantly believe being gay is a 'choice'. However, they are slowly learning as they did with race and sex that it is not a choice.

Honestly I've never seen anyone claim that being gay is a "choice", lol. As in, to have gay feelings. Obviously we have to say that engaging in gay acts is a "choice", following from the basic ideas of free will that we use to keep society ordered. But really, have you heard anyone claim that gays at some point consciously decided to have homosexual urges?
Reply 10
who is this DK fella? :confused:
Original post by Danen
Obviously. because there is freedom of religion.

Freedom of religious does not give freedom to discriminate. :s-smilie: The same argument was used against women's rights and during the civil rights movement. :colonhash:
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Because people ignorantly believe being gay is a 'choice'. However, they are slowly learning as they did with race and sex that it is not a choice.

Agree with the first part but I don't think anyone ever thought people choose their race and sex :lol:
Original post by NB_ide
Honestly I've never seen anyone claim that being gay is a "choice", lol. As in, to have gay feelings. Obviously we have to say that engaging in gay acts is a "choice", following from the basic ideas of free will that we use to keep society ordered. But really, have you heard anyone claim that gays at some point consciously decided to have homosexual urges?

unfortunately yes.
Racism, sexism and homophobia are just as accepted as each other. You just notice one thing more than the other depending on where you live and how much you can relate to one of them from personal experience.

I personally can relate to racism and sexism, but not homophobia, so I don't really notice homophobia as much as I do the former two.
Reply 15
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
unfortunately yes.

"Who?"
Honestly, I don't think it is seen as acceptable in the UK. No politician would dare say they oppose homosexuality, if a person appears on a news talk show and states that they believe homosexuality is wrong, they are met with gasps of shock. I'm sure there are places, small villages and communities, families, where homophobia is seen as acceptable, but as a whole it is not in the UK. America is a different matter, i'm shocked there's even a debate in such a developed country.
but if we define homosexuality like racism it will end up being taken advantage of like racism is at times, it also removes aspects of freedom of speech, to which everyone should be entitled, The ignorant won't stop just because laws are in place, just like the law doesn't stop racism...it merely acts when it is committed, is it really fair to bring more restrictions on peoples minds? bringing laws in won't stop those that are the worst, It will merely allow the innocent to be accused to that they are not perpetrators...
Original post by NB_ide
"Who?"

Lol DYKWIA for one :roll eyes: on here? there were a few...idk remember any people in particular though. But I have definitely seen and heard people say that it is a choice it's sad really.
Reply 19
Original post by SleepySheep
Agree with the first part but I don't think anyone ever thought people choose their race and sex :lol:

I chose my race. I used to be purple :ashamed:

:biggrin:

Latest