The Student Room Group

CCEA Physics AS2. Thoughts?

Does anybody do it and if so what do you think of it, difficulty wise etc.
its okay not too difficult just read the book avidly for the next 2 months and ull be fine thts wat i did for unit 1 and im bad at maths and got 102/111 :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Crooked fingers

Definitely a big jump from AS1. So much more 'pure' physics rather than the basic GCSE stuff you get in module 1.
Reply 3
Original post by Crooked fingers

I done this module June 2011 and it wasn't too bad managed to get 106/111 :smile:
Just make sure you keep on top of all the the theory and the maths will kind of fall into place with it. Its much more theory based than the first module and you can be asked a lot more written and explaining questions than the first module too.
I wouldn't depend solely on the text book cause in our June 2011 paper there was a question about the production of X-Rays and it's not mentioned once in the textbook or the syllabus. Don't get me wrong, the textbook covers nearly everything but it's just a precaution :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Who_Is_It?
I done this module June 2011 and it wasn't too bad managed to get 106/111 :smile:
Just make sure you keep on top of all the the theory and the maths will kind of fall into place with it. Its much more theory based than the first module and you can be asked a lot more written and explaining questions than the first module too.
I wouldn't depend solely on the text book cause in our June 2011 paper there was a question about the production of X-Rays and it's not mentioned once in the textbook or the syllabus. Don't get me wrong, the textbook covers nearly everything but it's just a precaution :smile:

What was your raw mark out of 75 to get such a high UMS? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CD315
What was your raw mark out of 75 to get such a high UMS? :smile:

My raw mark was only 61/75 to get the UMS score of 106/111 :tongue:

It was an "iffy" paper. There must have been low scores across everyone who took it cause they scaled it up so much!!
The examiners report said that the X-Ray question was the worst answered by nearly all candidates in all centers so I'm guessing that contributed quite a bit.

My AS1 raw mark was 68/75 for January 2011 and ended up with 111/111, so I think the scaling for most AS physics papers is generally quite generous :smile:

Good luck with the paper in May/June btw :smile:
Reply 6
My raw mark was only 61/75 to get the UMS score of 106/111 :tongue:

It was an "iffy" paper. There must have been low scores across everyone who took it cause they scaled it up so much!!
The examiners report said that the X-Ray question was the worst answered by nearly all candidates in all centers so I'm guessing that contributed quite a bit.

My AS1 raw mark was 68/75 for January 2011 and ended up with 111/111, so I think the scaling for most AS physics papers is generally quite generous :smile:

Good luck with the paper in May/June btw :smile:

68/75 for full UMS? Thats pretty impressive. Makes me feel better I suppose! Haha
Reply 7
Original post by CD315
68/75 for full UMS? Thats pretty impressive. Makes me feel better I suppose! Haha

That's nothing compared to some other scores!!
Someone in my school who got a raw mark of about 63 or 64 got a UMS score of 111/111 in the same paper haha.
It always gives you that glimmer of hope to know that if you mess up 20% of the paper you could still end up with 100% UMS :tongue:
Reply 8
That's nothing compared to some other scores!!
Someone in my school who got a raw mark of about 63 or 64 got a UMS score of 111/111 in the same paper haha.
It always gives you that glimmer of hope to know that if you mess up 20% of the paper you could still end up with 100% UMS :tongue:

I love this! Haha good UMS are my aim this summer, physics was my only worry!

Quick Reply

Latest