The Student Room Group

Would you take this job?

A 16 year old earning £50.00 a week
Hours 9am - 3pm 5 days a week
Doesn't have to pay travel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No :lolwut: You will be making about £1.70 an hour. I don't think that is even legal.
Original post by Mess.
No :lolwut: You will be making about £1.70 an hour. I don't think that is even legal.

This. I used a calculator to work it out. My OS has a calculator built in. Don't like to boast, but that's the fact.

All the negs are just from people that are jelly my OS came with a free calculator. Get over it guys. Your Casio is pretty sweet too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Depends, if your desperate for money, you have to settle for anything though its ridiculously low.
Children in India will earn more than you...
(edited 12 years ago)
£10 for 6 hours?

Nah.
Reply 6
I don't know what bus prices are like in other parts of the country (and I know the OP said there are no travel costs) but the bus for anyone over 16 in Liverpool is £2. You would have to work for about 3 hours just to take the bus in to the city centre and then come home, with having a couple of pennies spare for some sweets. Complete and utter waste of time.
Reply 7
lol no - I wouldn't take double that
Reply 8
Get the experience, the ones who replied are most likely currently in uni and have no idea about the job market. It's better than no money at all and will give you a taste of real work.
Is it an apprenticeship or something? If not, isn't it illegal for the pay to be that low?
Original post by slylee
Get the experience, the ones who replied are most likely currently in uni and have no idea about the job market. It's better than no money at all and will give you a taste of real work.

Yeah this is a factor - if the job will be particularly good for your CV and you feel you'd benefit by doing it... this is assuming it's a summer job btw!
Reply 11
£1.66 an hour?

Have you been looking for other jobs? Most places will pay at least £5 an hour and you'd only need to work 10 hours to make the same amount.
Reply 12
Original post by chocolate buttons
A 16 year old earning £50.00 a week
Hours 9am - 3pm 5 days a week
Doesn't have to pay travel

What's the job?
nooo, might aswell go on job seekers, although if you are looking for experience go for it :P although a place which pays that low probably isn't very reputable.
Reply 14
Original post by bananaterracottapie
nooo, might aswell go on job seekers, although if you are looking for experience go for it :P although a place which pays that low probably isn't very reputable.

You can't claim benefits before you are 18 can you?
Original post by laura130490
Is it an apprenticeship or something? If not, isn't it illegal for the pay to be that low?

think an apprenticeship minimum wage may be slightly higher than 1.70.

I was on about £120 a week for 5 days when I did mine...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bestofyou
think an apprenticeship minimum wage may be slightly higher than 1.70.

I was on about £120 a week for 5 days when I did mine...

Ahh I see. If I was the OP I wouldn't take the job then, seems dodgy.
that's pretty unheard of for a chinese kid

well done, go for it
I haven't actually been offered the job myself, it was on the job centre website and they are looking for a 16 - 24 year old Apprentice Administrator at a company that sells high end make up at a reduced price.

I'm struggling to find a job at the moment, although everyone else my age (17/18) seems to have at least some kind of job. :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by slylee

Depends what she's doing.

She probably a lot better off going to a buisness she wants to work in and saying can I shadow someone and get some REAL experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending