The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vintage
Rio has missed a large majority of the season through injury.

Whilst Rio has had his injury problems in recent years, this season has been one of his better ones. He's played in 26 of the 34 PL games we've had so far, so that's certainly not a large majority of the season missed. This season is the first time he's played more than 24 games since 2007-2008.

Koscienly has played 27 of the 34.

Evans is nowhere near as good as you say

I think, as already has been touched on, people are biased according to the team they support/watch the most.

Colo is no better than Evans. Yes, that's only my opinion, but I do watch Newcastle (almost as much) as Manchester United and really don't think I'm being biased. I fail to see how, if you have watched Evans enough, you can still assert Colo is better.

Though I still assert that when I originally brought this up, I was referring to their improvement from last season and general consistency, rather than which of the two is better. Evans, perhaps as a result of maturity and being able to take advantage of Vidic's absence, has really demonstrated himself as solid centre back, is more dominant in the air, and more of an attacking thread.

Colo is still a good defender but wouldn't be my choice for player of the season.

And Vorm is a goalkeeper you twit.

He means Verm(aelen), as you probably know.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3941
Original post by River85

Whilst Rio has had his injury problems in recent years, this season has been one of his better ones. He's played in 26 of the 34 PL games we've had so far, so that's certainly not a large majority of the season missed. This season is the first time he's played more than 24 games since 2007-2008.

Koscienly has played 27 of the 34.

I think, as already has been touched on, people are biased according to the team they support/watch the most.

Colo is no better than Evans. Yes, that's only my opinion, but I do watch Newcastle (almost as much) as Manchester United and really don't think I'm being biased. I fail to see how, if you have watched Evans enough, you can still assert Colo is better.

Though I still assert that when I originally brought this up, I was referring to their improvement from last season and general consistency, rather than which of the two is better. Evans, perhaps as a result of maturity and being able to take advantage of Vidic's absence, has really demonstrated himself as solid centre back, is more dominant in the air, and more of an attacking thread.

Colo is still a good defender but wouldn't be my choice for player of the season.

He means Verm(aelen), as you probably know.

Didn't realize Rio had played that much. Despite that he's not been on top of his game. Kos may have been better had he played with a consistant back four all season. As a result Arsenal's whole defence has been poor.

How many games has Vermaelen played this season?
Reply 3942
In Newcastle related news. I renewed my season ticket. £560 :facepalm2: If they offer them cheap season tickets again after 2 home games i'll be pissed.

Can't wait for European nights back at St James' Park again though :coma:
Original post by Vintage
In Newcastle related news. I renewed my season ticket. £560 :facepalm2: If they offer them cheap season tickets again after 2 home games i'll be pissed.

560 isn't that bad if it will include European games?
Considering how well Newcastle have played this season, I'd imagine more people will take up tickets for next season. Tis exciting times in Geordieland.
Original post by Vintage
Didn't realize Rio had played that much. Despite that he's not been on top of his game. Kos may have been better had he played with a consistant back four all season. As a result Arsenal's whole defence has been poor.

How many games has Vermaelen played this season?

Vermaelan and Koscielny only recently have had the chance to pair up and we've gone on to win 8 out of 9 games. RVP has gone on a goal drought (by his standards) and hence I think it wouldn't be insane to attribute good performances to the defence.
Reply 3945
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Vermaelan and Koscielny only recently have had the chance to pair up and we've gone on to win 8 out of 9 games. RVP has gone on a goal drought (by his standards) and hence I think it wouldn't be insane to attribute good performances to the defence.

Indeed. But in relation to player/defender of season. You couldn't possibly give it to them two, Because they've not played enough/defence hasn't been consistant. Its not as if Koscelny held Arsenal's defence together when everyone else was injured.

It's like Oxade Chambers getting young player nomination when he's not played a great deal.
Original post by Vintage
Indeed. But in relation to player/defender of season. You couldn't possibly give it to them two, Because they've not played enough/defence hasn't been consistant. Its not as if Koscelny held Arsenal's defence together when everyone else was injured.

It's like Oxade Chambers getting young player nomination when he's not played a great deal.

From your comments (and I mean no offence), you haven't watched Arsenal play this season.

What has the consistency of the defence (as a unit) got to do with Koscielny's performances?

He has played extremely well for us regardless of the fact that he's had to partner 3-4 different individuals as well as playing RBs for a few games.

He did hold the defence together earlier on in the season. if we didn't lose to City at the Etihad (1-0), we would've gone on a 13 match unbeaten run in the league (with only 3 draws). That was with a makeshift defence and with the majority of our full-backs out.

It's nothing like Chamberlain being nominated for youth player of the year. Chamberlain made a handful of appearances and I admit, he should be nowhere near that list. Koscielny on the other hand should be a contender for CB of the season (in context with this debate) because he's played the majority of the season and has defended resolutely.
Reply 3947
Original post by Vintage
Danny Simpson was statisically the best right back in the league this season according to Opta..... Enough said about the matter ay?

To be fair I think Simpson is comfortably one of the best RB's in the league. It's only really his positioning which lets him down.
Reply 3948
Original post by -Matty-
To be fair I think Simpson is comfortably one of the best RB's in the league. It's only really his positioning which lets him down.
I have no idea how Simpson could be one of the best right-backs in the league. Defensively, he constantly pulls out of tackles and lets in way too many crosses. He's clearly had a hand in many goals conceded against us this season. Offensively, he offers very little, as his dribbling and crossing ability is shocking.

Having said that, there's barely any really good right-backs in the league. Simpson definitely isn't one of them though.
Original post by Vintage

That's a really great price man, good for you! I bet when I've finished Uni and will wanna get one they will be more than double.

Original post by Zerforax

Not bad? Even without the European nights that's a really good price for an EPL season ticket. I think Fulham's are about £1K; I know this because I bought neutral stand tickets from them once and they still advertise to me.
Original post by KingGoonIan
That's a really great price man, good for you! I bet when I've finished Uni and will wanna get one they will be more than double.

Not bad? Even without the European nights that's a really good price for an EPL season ticket. I think Fulham's are about £1K; I know this because I bought neutral stand tickets from them once and they still advertise to me.

Well Fulham are in London and since they have a smaller stadium, they might aswell fleece those who are loyal rather than try to attract large numbers.

Wonder how it compares against season tickets for say Sunderland, Everton, Aston Villa, Man City.
Reply 3951
Original post by -Matty-

I disagree but what people seem to forget is that although Simpson is replaceable, it would cost between 5 and 10 million to replace him for someone of only a slightly better standard, so I'm happy to keep him
Original post by Vintage

Evans is nowhere near as good as you say,

Clearly ignoring everything that was said

Lescott? :lol:

Yep. statistically quite a lot better than Colo actually.

Am i going to have to say it again? That im only looking at it statistically and thats all ive done since the start of this discussion? Because it will get rather boring having to repeat it. I havent said 'Lescott is better than Colocinni' have i? I have said that he is better than him statistically, which is different.

Ah well, its clear you are a very biased clueless person.

Your literal only argument is 'you havent watched as many Newcastle games' whilst you completely ignore that is an argument that can easily be used against you for all your views.

+ you dont even need to make an argument because, again, nothing of what i was saying indicated i was including subjectivity.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3953
Original post by Darth Vader 7
From your comments (and I mean no offence), you haven't watched Arsenal play this season.

What has the consistency of the defence (as a unit) got to do with Koscielny's performances?

He has played extremely well for us regardless of the fact that he's had to partner 3-4 different individuals as well as playing RBs for a few games.

He did hold the defence together earlier on in the season. if we didn't lose to City at the Etihad (1-0), we would've gone on a 13 match unbeaten run in the league (with only 3 draws). That was with a makeshift defence and with the majority of our full-backs out.

It's nothing like Chamberlain being nominated for youth player of the year. Chamberlain made a handful of appearances and I admit, he should be nowhere near that list. Koscielny on the other hand should be a contender for CB of the season (in context with this debate) because he's played the majority of the season and has defended resolutely.

Ferdinand and Evans have forged a good partnership with Evans being very good for the last few months. But, Coloccini and Koscielny have been manning their defence's single-handedly for the majority of the season. Colo has been the most consistent over the whole campaign though I'd say which Is why I'd give him the nod along with Kompany. Koscielny definitely deserves to be up there as well though. Unfortunatelly, similarly to Colo he has a bit of a 'joker' reputation and as long as he's not playing in a title winning side probably won't get the credit he deserves.
Reply 3954
Original post by Zerforax
Considering how well Newcastle have played this season, I'd imagine more people will take up tickets for next season. Tis exciting times in Geordieland.

No just for Premiership games. I imagine European games will be extra. (They might throw in the unappealing teams in qualifiers)
Reply 3955
Original post by Tommyjw

Your literal only argument is 'you havent watched as many Newcastle games' whilst you completely ignore that is an argument that can easily be used against you for all your views.

Indeed, But i've watched most games that have been on Sky etc and what i've seen of Evans is that he's very average. Just on good form.

To the Arsenal question. I referred for Koscelny that he's not looked great when playing with a weakened back 4 unlike Coloccini who has played with the average Williamson & Simpson and Raylor, Santon, Jonas, Olivier Bernard all season.

We could keep having this argument all the time, But player of the season etc should have reconised someone from Newcastle's team due to their outstanding postion in the table.
Reply 3956
Original post by KingGoonIan

9 Year Price Freeze. So if in six seasons Newcastle have won the Premiership. I'll still be paying just £560 for my ticket :colondollar:

£1k for Fulham season tickets? Are they joking me? But they only hold around 20k don't they? If they have 35k loyal fans who want season tickets. They'll be able to stick it up them.

Also for those wanting a ticket for the Stoke match - Extra ones have been made avail in the gods because Stoke have only taken less than 1000 tickets :facepalm2:
Original post by Vintage
Indeed, But i've watched most games that have been on Sky etc and what i've seen of Evans is that he's very average. Just on good form.

Stop with the boring subjectivity as if it means anything at all :facepalm2:

We could keep having this argument all the time, But player of the season etc should have reconised someone from Newcastle's team due to their outstanding postion in the table.

Its not a deserved right to have a player in the team of the season for that reason. Should several Norwich players also be in there? Wigan players for there ability to stay in this league despite all the odds?
I could equally argue Evans deserves to be there because of how well he has performed, as well as the team in general, despite a much larger injury list than every other team. But i wont, because it isnt a deserved right.
As shown, you have no real argument other than your subjectivity and it gets boring.
(edited 11 years ago)
:yawn:

Learn to drop an argument and move on instead of going in circles.
Reply 3959
Original post by Tommyjw

Its not a deserved right to have a player in the team of the season for that reason. Should several Norwich players also be in there? Wigan players for there ability to stay in this league despite all the odds?.

If a Wigan player had banged 15+ goals in or was outstanding then yes. But that hasn't happened.

Norwich? You could mention Grant Holt, Their Keeper, and a couple of others. All have had fantastic seasons. Could have made the shortlist before it was narrowed down to a few. But as usual with everything its always biased to Manchesters Arsenal Liverpool & Chelsea.

Latest