The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by jackychan
I already achieved 3 A* in Physics, Chem and Biology in June 2011 and achieved A* in further mathematics in Jan 2012. At the time I submitted my application in Ocotober 2011, the result of my last module FPM 6667 is still outstanding. I believe Warwick is hesitant to make an offer to me because I am a pure science student.

Warwick has had a large drop in applications this year, It seems they are not as strict in giving offers out this year, anyway 3A* should easily get you an offer. The only thing that can hold you back is if you personal statement was really poor. Can I ask why you didn't Go for economics or something else?
Original post by Alpha5
Warwick has had a large drop in applications this year, It seems they are not as strict in giving offers out this year, anyway 3A* should easily get you an offer. The only thing that can hold you back is if you personal statement was really poor. Can I ask why you didn't Go for economics or something else?

Yes, I think I put too much emphasis on Economics in my personal statement. I actually prefer A & F to Economics but I wished to give a try at Cambridge. Cambridge only offers Economics, thus, my personal statement mainly focused on Economics. I was pooled but finally rejected by Cambridge. I also applied for A & F at LSE which straightly rejected my application in early Nov 2011. This is probably the reason Warwick is hesitant to give me an offer. I also applied for Stat, Econ & Finance at UCL. UCL also held the decision very late and finally gave me an offer on 30 March. I also applied for A & C at Durham which offered me an unconditional offer in Nov 2011. therefore, the decision made by various top universities is very different. If I get an offer at Warwick, I most likely will firm it.
Original post by lil159097
Your situation is way better than mine, I am a pure science student as well:smile: I do think that you will get an offer:smile: don't worry, just wait patiently:smile:)

thank you very much for your blessing. As Warwick does not reject us at this point of time, I can only come to a conclusion that we still stand a good chance, otherwise, Warwick will straightly reject us.
Original post by Choppyy
You took FM but not maths? I doubt they'd be hesitant to make an offer to someone with 3A*s in the bag already. There's still time to receive an offer, don't lose all hope. Where else have you applied?

Thank you. Cambridge & LSE rejection. Unconditional offer by Durham and conditional offer by UCL with Further Maths A*.
Reply 1284
Original post by Alpha5

Hmmm, you're true, warwick had a 1/3 drop in A&F applicants. Any idea why?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/mip/businessinformation/academicstatistics/2011/wbs_2011.pdf
602 > 411
Reply 1285
Original post by jackychan
Yes, I think I put too much emphasis on Economics in my personal statement. I actually prefer A & F to Economics but I wished to give a try at Cambridge. Cambridge only offers Economics, thus, my personal statement mainly focused on Economics. I was pooled but finally rejected by Cambridge. I also applied for A & F at LSE which straightly rejected my application in early Nov 2011. This is probably the reason Warwick is hesitant to give me an offer. I also applied for Stat, Econ & Finance at UCL. UCL also held the decision very late and finally gave me an offer on 30 March. I also applied for A & C at Durham which offered me an unconditional offer in Nov 2011. therefore, the decision made by various top universities is very different. If I get an offer at Warwick, I most likely will firm it.

Oh right, I had quite a lot of economics in mine aswell, but I kinda linked it to finance. Although its really hard to Convey a passion for accounting! Let's face I that element of the course will be so boring. Good luck!
Reply 1286
Original post by uxa595
Hmmm, you're true, warwick had a 1/3 drop in A&F applicants. Any idea why?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/mip/businessinformation/academicstatistics/2011/wbs_2011.pdf
602 > 411

Yeah I'm not sure to be honest. But it probably made it easier for us to get offers, so it's all good!
Reply 1287
Hi, I applied for A&F at durham and still not got an offer. Is anyone else still waiting? Is it likely i wont get an offer now?
When is the latest date in which Warwick can made a decision ?
Reply 1289
There is letter which they sent out saying that they will try to reply by march 31, but ucas deadline is May11 and so they can technically take up till then
Reply 1290
Was there something wrong with ur application? (eg. subjects, grades, PS etc..)

I had below average grades and yet managed to get an offer around early jan.
Is anybody considering doing a school leaver scheme outside the big 4.....Ive recently got offers from BDO (ACA 6 years) RSM tenon (AAT-ACA fast track)....At the start of the year my thoughts were going to uni to do an accounting and finance degree at either Nottingham or Birmingham Uni..I got my unconditional offers but after talking to alot of A+F degree students they pointed me towards doing a school leaver scheme...now thats not a problem Im just wondering would it be a good idea to do it outside the big 4?

Does anybody have any experiance with school leaver schemes? that can help
Reply 1292
i have accepted sheffield as my firm choice however on student finance two options come up:

N420 BA ACCOUNTING & FINANCIAL MGMT (3 years)

N420 BA ACCT AND FINANCIAL MGT WITH EMP EXP (4 years)

i have a choice of accepting both, whats the difference between the two and which should i take? i always thought sheffield offered a 3 year course
Reply 1293
Original post by -Liberty
Manchester vs Southampton?

southampton..
Original post by dlsy
southampton..

Why would you say that? I think they are pretty similar.
Reply 1295
Why would you say that? I think they are pretty similar.

I prefer the south side. I don't really like Manchester city.
Spoke to the head of the Law dept and the admission officer (soton), very nice ladies

I'm doing my checks on uni..Southampton is 1 of them.

Can i have yr view(s) on Exeter/bristol/Bath? I'm interested in A&F course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1296
Anyone heard anything from Warwick recently?? What are people grades and ps like who are still waiting??
Original post by dlsy
I prefer the south side. I don't really like Manchester city.
Spoke to the head of the Law dept and the admission officer (soton), very nice ladies

I'm doing my checks on uni..Southampton is 1 of them.

Can i have yr view(s) on Exeter/bristol/Bath? I'm interested in A&F course.

All very good unis. The only issue with Bristol and Bath is that they ask for particular grades in Maths which I did not have so it depends on the person really!
Reply 1298
Original post by Sam-8
Anyone heard anything from Warwick recently?? What are people grades and ps like who are still waiting??

Wow, you still ahven't heard back?
They've even been in ucas extra for a while now and this yr, they didn't have as many applicants as usual. I would call them up and ask.

I got my offer in jan and am predicted AAA and got pretty **** GCSE's
Reply 1299
All very good unis. The only issue with Bristol and Bath is that they ask for particular grades in Maths which I did not have so it depends on the person really!

Thanks.:smile:
That shouldn't be a problem .:tongue:

I've been to Bath (small /touristy place) /Southampton (liveable) for a very short trip, can't comment much.
How about Exeter & Bristol? Are they very competitve uni?
Is Durham a boring place? I've heard their A&F is a new course, they haven't churn out first batch of A&F graduates?:confused:

Quick Reply