Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by King’s College London
Hi Tratto

Thanks for your message; I'm afraid it isn't really possible to provide an overall statistic across all admissions at King's. If you can let me know which programme you're interested in applying I can look into the admission statistics for that :smile:

Fran

Hi,
in this I case I'm interested in Philosophy / or History :wink:

Thank you
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Hi there,

I have applied for a place on the MRes in Translational Cancer Medicine for 2012-3 in the School of Medicine. The website state that the intake is only 6 or 7 per year.

Do you know (or can you find out) how competitive that course is? I have to wait until after the 8 May before they'll make their selection.

Thanks

Hi VENIVIDIVICI

Thanks very much for your message. Its hard to give accurate figures on this as it does vary from year to year. I would suggest that you get in touch with the programme coordinator to discuss in more detail as they will be able to give you up to date information. Her name is Dora Jonsdottir and she is available on 020 7848 6835 or [email protected].

Hope this helps :smile:

Fran
Original post by Tratto
Hi,
in this I case I'm interested in Philosophy / or History :wink:

Thank you

Hi Tratto

Last year there were 88 students admitted onto the Philosophy programme and there were around 6 applicants per place. For History, 135 students were admitted onto the programme and there were around 7 applicants per place.

Fran
Original post by Usern4me
Hello,
I have a question about the MA deposit.
Is it possible to pay using travelex?

Thanks.

Hi Usern4me

I've just checked and yes, you can pay your MA deposit with Travelex.

Fran
Reply 604
Thanks!
Reply 605
Hi, i've received an offer from kings on the Pharmacy course.
I'm still deciding whether to accept kings or UCL school of Pharmacy as my firm choice. The only thing stopping me from choosing kings is that I heard you have to do a lot of independant study at kings compared to UCL. Other than that, it's an excellent uni! please could you shed some light on this matter.
Thanks.
Reply 606
How many students were admitted on the Computer science with management course this year?

Are there any late night classes at this course ?

Are there any reading lists?
Original post by King’s College London
Hi VENIVIDIVICI

Thanks very much for your message. Its hard to give accurate figures on this as it does vary from year to year. I would suggest that you get in touch with the programme coordinator to discuss in more detail as they will be able to give you up to date information. Her name is Dora Jonsdottir and she is available on 020 7848 6835 or [email protected].

Fran

Thanks for replying and the information given. I'll get it touch.
Hello :smile:

do you know the acceptance rate or applicants per place for the war studies BA?
Reply 609
Hello,
I have a few clarification questions about accommodation. Firstly, are my chances of receiving my first choice lessened the closer to the deadline, June 30, that I submit the application? Secondly, I can only complete and submit the accommodation application once I have firmed the offer, even if it's conditional?
Lastly, if I do not meet the 38 marks on IB that I need for the offer, is there any chance that I can still get a place on the course? Either way, would it be possible to transfer to another similar course once in the university (ex, from philosophy/war studies to philosophy/french)? Thank you very much!
Reply 610
Hi, im hoping to study A100 medicine at kings. i have read the entry requirements (AAAB at AS and AAA at A2)

My question is, hypotheticaly if i get AAAC at AS but then pick up another AS In year 13 whilest doing my A2, can i use my predicted grade from that as an AS?

so if i got an A prediction in that AS, rather than applying with AAAC, i could apply with AAAA at AS + my A2 predictions?

Also how many international seats do you have for medicine? how many applicants per seat?

How many seats for medicine do you have in total? (both International + Domestic)

How are resits looked upon for medicine?

How much does individual UMS matter? is it looked at in much detail? ( i understand non academic and extra curricular activities are looked upon favourably but assuming i have that how large a role will the individual ums play?)

What is the UKCAT Average score for succesfull applicants?

Also, if you could put me in touch with any current med students at Kings i would love to find out about their grades and ask them about the application process aswell? i would really appreciate that.

Thank you very much for your time :smile:
Original post by AceS4
How many students were admitted on the Computer science with management course this year?

Are there any late night classes at this course ?

Are there any reading lists?

Hi Ace S4

For 2011 entry there were around 170 students admitted and roughly 5 applicants per place. We are expecting similar figures for 2012.

In terms of lectures, most classes finishes at 5 or 6pm at the latest, but obviously you would be expected to do some independent study outside of class. In terms of reading lists it might be best to contact the programme manager, Saffron Hunt, or programme administrator, Claudia Mazzoncini, as they should be able to give you the most up to date info on this. They can be contacted via email ([email protected] or [email protected]) or on the phone (020 7848 1509 for Saffron or 020 7848 2588 for Claudia).

Hope this helps! :smile:

Fran
Original post by maxcartwright
Hello :smile:

do you know the acceptance rate or applicants per place for the war studies BA?

Hi maxcartwright,

Thanks for your message. For 2011 there were 73 students admitted on to the War Studies programme and here around 5 applicants per place. We're expecting a similar situation for entry in 2012.

Fran
Original post by onejpu2
Hello,
I have a few clarification questions about accommodation. Firstly, are my chances of receiving my first choice lessened the closer to the deadline, June 30, that I submit the application? Secondly, I can only complete and submit the accommodation application once I have firmed the offer, even if it's conditional?
Lastly, if I do not meet the 38 marks on IB that I need for the offer, is there any chance that I can still get a place on the course? Either way, would it be possible to transfer to another similar course once in the university (ex, from philosophy/war studies to philosophy/french)? Thank you very much!

Hi onejpu2

Thanks for your message!

RE accommodation - no, as long as your application form is submitted before the deadline of 30 June it is considered on a equal basis to all of the rest of the applications received before that deadline. We do consider applications for accommodation that are received after 30 June but they are considered a lower priority to on time applications. In answer to your other question re accommodation, yes you can submit an application for accommodation even if your offer is conditional (most people have conditional offers so we have to do this!)

RE entry requirements for your offer - you don't mention which programme you have applied for so its hard for me to be exact, but if it is a requirement for you to meet certain entry requirement then generally you need to do this. However if you do marginally miss it, it is still worth ringing up the admissions team for the programme to ask whether there is any chance of still getting on to the programme.

Fran
Original post by adister
Hi, im hoping to study A100 medicine at kings. i have read the entry requirements (AAAB at AS and AAA at A2)

My question is, hypotheticaly if i get AAAC at AS but then pick up another AS In year 13 whilest doing my A2, can i use my predicted grade from that as an AS?

so if i got an A prediction in that AS, rather than applying with AAAC, i could apply with AAAA at AS + my A2 predictions?

Also how many international seats do you have for medicine? how many applicants per seat?

How many seats for medicine do you have in total? (both International + Domestic)

How are resits looked upon for medicine?

How much does individual UMS matter? is it looked at in much detail? ( i understand non academic and extra curricular activities are looked upon favourably but assuming i have that how large a role will the individual ums play?)

What is the UKCAT Average score for succesfull applicants?

Also, if you could put me in touch with any current med students at Kings i would love to find out about their grades and ask them about the application process aswell? i would really appreciate that.

Thank you very much for your time :smile:

Hi adister!

Wow, that’s quite a lot of questions! :wink: I will do my best to answer them all for you, or point you in the direction of someone better placed to help!

For our undergraduate medical programmes there are around 4500 applications for a total of 410 places. Around 1200 1400 applicants are selected for interview. It’s hard to give you exact figures on the numbers of UK and international applications as it changes from year to year. There is no quota on the number of EU students on medical programmes but the UK Government restricts the number of international students from outside the EU to approximately 7.5% of our annual intake.

In terms of meeting the entry requirements; you should obviously try and meet the entry requirements as closely as possible but if you are concerned that you may not quite meet it then I would advise that you discuss your specific circumstances with the admissions team (020 7848 6501 / 020 7848 6502 or [email protected]) and see what they say. RE resits, as long as you make the entry requirements, resits don’t count against you.

It is important to remember that non academic and extra curricular activities are important to your application as well so ensure you cover this in your personal statement!

The UKCAT test is important, but please also remember that it is considered alongside your academic and non-academic achievements as well so isn’t the only thing we are looking at. Therefore we cannot give a ‘cut off’ mark for the UKCAT score as everyone’s application is considered individually.

Finally, in terms of connecting with current King’s medical students, I will see if I can get hold of some of medicine student ambassadors and will PM you with some contact details. You also might want to set up a thread in the main King’s forum to see if there are any current King’s medical students on TSR who might be able to offer some insight to studying the programme.

Hope this helps!:smile:

Fran
Reply 615
Hi KCL,

Can you comment on the acceptance rate for Politics of the International Economy?

Thanks
Original post by skay
Hi KCL,

Can you comment on the acceptance rate for Politics of the International Economy?

Thanks

Hi skay

As Politics of the International Economy is a new course its hard to give precise figures on things like offers made, acceptance etc at the moment. The programme leader, Rod Dacombe, would be more than happy to talk through the programme and your questions with you though (he has the most up to date info). He can be contacted on 020 7848 7350 or [email protected]

Fran :smile:
Original post by Hkadiri
Hi, i've received an offer from kings on the Pharmacy course.
I'm still deciding whether to accept kings or UCL school of Pharmacy as my firm choice. The only thing stopping me from choosing kings is that I heard you have to do a lot of independant study at kings compared to UCL. Other than that, it's an excellent uni! please could you shed some light on this matter.
Thanks.

Hi Hkadiri

I'm just checking these details with a colleague of mine in the Department of Pharmacy and will get back to you with some details asap :smile:

Fran
Hello!

I am trying to apply for accommodation through the KCL online facility. For some of the halls I'm thinking of applying to (namely 2 intercollegiate - College and Connaught), their is no where to put a preference for an en-suite room. When I looked at the university of london website they had a form where you could tick if you wanted to apply for a single room or ensuite room whereas on the KCL online facility preferences for an en-suite room are not listed? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Iso :smile:
I'm applying for student finance though I haven't firmed by uni choice, I'm provisionally putting KCL as my first choice. I live zone 4, will be applying for accommodation but not sure if I will get it in the first term etc/ because of the M25 rule so do I apply for a maintenance loan for accommodation or not on student finance? :s-smilie: If I go Durham University then I will definitely will be applying for accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest