The Student Room Group

Racism in Sweden

Do you think this action the Swedish Minister racist?
http://rt.com/news/screaming-cake-scandal-sweden-352/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's speaking out against the cultural practice of genital mutilation and the controversial aspect of it brings much needed attention to this issue.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Milos1989
Do you think this action the Swedish Minister racist?
http://rt.com/news/screaming-cake-scandal-sweden-352/

I personally find it offensive and macabre, it really lacks in taste..those who baked the cake probably thought it was a good idea..but ffs the Prime Minister (and her staff) should have thought about it.
Reply 3
Original post by Ciccina
I personally find it offensive and macabre, it really lacks in taste..those who baked the cake probably thought it was a good idea..but ffs the Prime Minister (and her staff) should have thought about it.

I was very surprised by this action the Minister, Sweden country I have not considered as a racist, since I heard that they are very tolerant to the immigrants.
Reply 4
I was very surprised by this action the Minister, Sweden country I have not considered as a racist, since I heard that they are very tolerant to the immigrants.

True true. They have a reputation for being very open and tolerant...I dont get how they thought that'd be fun :s-smilie:
Reply 5
OMG, is there a head poking from under the table?!
Reply 6
sickest part was when they cut the cake in the vagina and she scream :biggrin:
Reply 7
There are several ways you could look at it. True indeed you could jump on the bandwagon and say yes it is racist and sexist, probably not something funny.... or is it?

End of the day the artist behind it was hoping to raise awareness to the cause he was into........ now most of you are watching it, you are reading about it and probably aware of the issues of concern.

As for the minister........ sometimes Swedish humour and politicians aren't that easy to understand.
Original post by Ciccina
True true. They have a reputation for being very open and tolerant...I dont get how they thought that'd be fun :s-smilie:

Right I lived in Sweden for two years and this open and tolerant thing is BS! All the Scandinavian countries - Sweden, Norway, Denmark and so on are much more racist than Britain. Sweden is depressingly racist, and the trumpeting of themselves as the great multicultural country is a total lie. All immigrants of colour are in, in effect, ghettoes, and there is no mixing at all. The Swedes tend to openly dislike non white immigrants in Sweden. People talk about the shootings in Norway, but it is little reported that there was a serial killer targeting immigrants in Malmo recently.

Sweden also had a eugenics programme and was second only to Nazi Germany in the amount of people who were sterilised under it. In fact, Sweden's eugenics programme is still remains in place today - but now the only group whom the state systematically sterilises is transsexual people.

If you just read TSR you'd get this weird impression of the UK - i.e. that it is the most racist nation evahh!! It doesn't seem to matter to them the French vote in 10 times the numbers for the far-right, or that people like Jorg Haider have actually been in power in Austria, or the True Finns in Finland, or the Danish Peoples Party and so on and on.

There is a lot of sinister racist **** going down in Sweden, such as the recent murders of foreign-looking people and loads of other stuff if you follow the news. I knew a Chinese girl who was brought up in Sweden and told me that in England, she only gets racist remarks relatively infrequently, and that this is a great improvement on her life in Sweden. There is definitely a problem with racism in Sweden.
(edited 11 years ago)
Also this racism is hardly a surprise. The Swedish government have let in millions of the most unsuitable immigrants for Sweden - usually muslim - as refugees. They have absolutely nothing in common with the Swedes.
Reply 10
Original post by Cyanohydrin
Right I lived in Sweden for two years and this open and tolerant thing is BS! All the Scandinavian countries - Sweden, Norway, Denmark and so on are much more racist than Britain. Sweden is depressingly racist, and the trumpeting of themselves as the great multicultural country is a total lie. All immigrants of colour are in, in effect, ghettoes, and there is no mixing at all. The Swedes tend to openly dislike non white immigrants in Sweden. People talk about the shootings in Norway, but it is little reported that there was a serial killer targeting immigrants in Malmo recently.

Sweden also had a eugenics programme and was second only to Nazi Germany in the amount of people who were sterilised under it. In fact, Sweden's eugenics programme is still remains in place today - but now the only group whom the state systematically sterilises is transsexual people.

If you just read TSR you'd get this weird impression of the UK - i.e. that it is the most racist nation evahh!! It doesn't seem to matter to them the French vote in 10 times the numbers for the far-right, or that people like Jorg Haider have actually been in power in Austria, or the True Finns in Finland, or the Danish Peoples Party and so on and on.

There is a lot of sinister racist **** going down in Sweden, such as the recent murders of foreign-looking people and loads of other stuff if you follow the news. I knew a Chinese girl who was brought up in Sweden and told me that in England, she only gets racist remarks relatively infrequently, and that this is a great improvement on her life in Sweden. There is definitely a problem with racism in Sweden.

It is true that the people are castrated primarily Lapps, in any surgery, the tonsils often .. Until 1984 it is illegal to speak Lappish.

I'm surprised someone from Serbia isn't racist. Isn't Eastern Europe full of racists?

What serial killer in Malmo? I thought Swedes didn't kill people?
Original post by Brutal Honesty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malm%C3%B6_shootings

If you read that article a current member of the Swedish parliament Björn Söder actually supports these shootings.

Sweden is not a tolerant happy place, sorry to those who think it is utopia.
(edited 11 years ago)
A bit disgusting...especially since I was eating something when I opened the link.
Reply 15
Sweden generally is not racist. I'm black and was born and raised in Sweden and I'd say the majority of racism that I encountered was between immigrants. Particularly from the balkans (not saying they're all racists, have loads of serbian & croatian friends). I wouldn't say its a problem per se as it's quite diverse in Sweden however we do have problems with our immigration politics - we take in more people than we're able to and we're unable to assist them in the assimilation process.

With regards to the cake the 'artist' is actually a black swede known for being provocative but I do admit it's a bit too much.
Reply 16
Original post by Brutal Honesty

Not a serial killer, he was a serial shooter and he's currently in custody. His name is Peter Mangs.
Reply 17
Also this racism is hardly a surprise. The Swedish government have let in millions of the most unsuitable immigrants for Sweden - usually muslim - as refugees. They have absolutely nothing in common with the Swedes.

You could say that I'd rather rephrase it and say that the swedish government are attempting to kill a fire by pouring oil on it. More needs to be done to address the segregation and integration of immigrants and till that has been successfully resolved Sweden should restrict their immigration.
Original post by nunugab
You could say that I'd rather rephrase it and say that the swedish government are attempting to kill a fire by pouring oil on it. More needs to be done to address the segregation and integration of immigrants and till that has been successfully resolved Sweden should restrict their immigration.

Integration is when the native population accepts you. In Sweden it's a lot more difficult for Swedes to accept immigrants so why isn't the government encouraging an attitude change on behalf of Swedes rather than placing all the blame on immigrants?
Original post by nunugab

Yeah, my experience was really a duel Sweden - the inner city Sweden and then suburban Sweden. The problem in my opinion is that the immigrants that have moved to Sweden are often very different culturally to the Swedes and come from troubled parts of the world like Somalia, Iraq, the Balkans and so on. Add to this they have come very recently and in very large numbers. So you get widespread residential segregation, and Swedes are often distrustful of the newcomers given Sweden is traditionally a very homogeneous society and it is a very big and quick change (happening really in the last 20 - 30 years)

Quick Reply