The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

St Peters court - people wanting to go on nights out etc

Guys, i am pretty much set on St Peters now. On the website you can pick specific things that you want (non smokers etc) but one of the things i wanna do next year is have a flat full of decent people to go on nights out with, drinking, partying etc.

No drug users etc..

On the website you can pick a specific flat. So if we get a few replies in here from people who wanna have an active social life and go out with other good, decent people, then we could sort something out and then agree which flat we will all pick.

Anybody interested in this? Like i said, no interest in drug users, ignorance etc..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The vast majority will have booked via the university, which I'm fairly certain means you don't make any preferences on your flatmates etc.

You want a flat with other who want a good night out and drinking and partying...which will be just about everyone anyway. As for the drugs usage...you aren't going to end up in a flat of six where the other five are all recovering heroin users but you will struggle to completely avoid drugs usage whatsoever as you'll seen a fair bit of it regardless of the accommodation or the uni.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thats a good point mate. Is it first years that do not have a choice of flat?
Reply 3
Nobody has a choice of flat, you get allocated by Unite. You can arrange to share a flat with friends if you know someone going but you'd need to book directly through Unite.

To be honest, you'll have a better experience if you go into a flat with strangers and you get to know them.
Reply 4
You don't get to pick a specific flat (at least, you didn't last year) but it's a guarantee there'll be plenty of people around that are up for going out, even if the people specifically in your flat aren't up for it you obviously have fresher weeks with an event every night to get to know people, with freshers reps to look after you, and then a different set of reps (of which I am one, so theoretically I am meant to be looking out for you, any questions then fire away!) for the rest of your first term- we'll organise loads of stuff for you to do, I met most of my best friends at SPC through getting involved with the stuff my reps put on for me, so it's proper easy to get involved and meet a decent group!
Reply 5
Original post by nejones2
You don't get to pick a specific flat (at least, you didn't last year) but it's a guarantee there'll be plenty of people around that are up for going out, even if the people specifically in your flat aren't up for it you obviously have fresher weeks with an event every night to get to know people, with freshers reps to look after you, and then a different set of reps (of which I am one, so theoretically I am meant to be looking out for you, any questions then fire away!) for the rest of your first term- we'll organise loads of stuff for you to do, I met most of my best friends at SPC through getting involved with the stuff my reps put on for me, so it's proper easy to get involved and meet a decent group!

Thankyou. And yes, i will take advantage of the "any questions" thing now:
Is the place like its own little site? Is it closed off in any way or can anyone walk through?
Also, are all the blocks near the gym? Lets say i pick the furthest away block, how far would it be to walk to the gym?
And also, is there anything to stop people not from SPC from using the gym?

Thankyou !
Reply 6
Original post by Tottenh
Thankyou. And yes, i will take advantage of the "any questions" thing now:
Is the place like its own little site? Is it closed off in any way or can anyone walk through?
Also, are all the blocks near the gym? Lets say i pick the furthest away block, how far would it be to walk to the gym?
And also, is there anything to stop people not from SPC from using the gym?

Thankyou !

Hope this helps...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=206572255750776053440.0004be0ebf4fb97ccb044&msa=0&ll=52.958699,-1.181889&spn=0.00181,0.003589
Reply 7
Yees it's on a little site, there's two or three entrances with gates, one leading out to St Peters Street where the bus goes from and one leading to a pathway that goes up to Dominos/Greggs/Lidl (and when we left for easter they were building a bar next to Lidl ha) and when you get your flat key it comes with a little fob that opens the gate. So only people with SPC fobs can get in, for security obviously. Literally the furthest you can be away from the gym is less than a minute's walk, old block and new block are about fifty metres apart and the gym's in new block (don't get put off by the old/new block, by 'old' I really don't think SPC has been there for more than a few years, old block is completely modern still). To use the SPC gym you have to go to reception, pay a ten pound induction fee and then they activate your fob to open the door to the gym... although in fairness if you go to the gym in a group of three and only one of you has activated your fob, there's literally nothing to stop the others going in too.
Yees it's on a little site, there's two or three entrances with gates, one leading out to St Peters Street where the bus goes from and one leading to a pathway that goes up to Dominos/Greggs/Lidl (and when we left for easter they were building a bar next to Lidl ha) and when you get your flat key it comes with a little fob that opens the gate. So only people with SPC fobs can get in, for security obviously. Literally the furthest you can be away from the gym is less than a minute's walk, old block and new block are about fifty metres apart and the gym's in new block (don't get put off by the old/new block, by 'old' I really don't think SPC has been there for more than a few years, old block is completely modern still). To use the SPC gym you have to go to reception, pay a ten pound induction fee and then they activate your fob to open the door to the gym... although in fairness if you go to the gym in a group of three and only one of you has activated your fob, there's literally nothing to stop the others going in too.

What's the gym like? Like how many machines etc?
Reply 9

Thankyou so much.

What time does the gym open/close?
Reply 10
Eeerm off the top of my heead it has like three bikes, two running, two cross trainers, and then a bunch of weight stuff that I ignore. It doesn't sound like much but I have NEVER been in there and not been able to get on a machine, and it's open from about 5.30am-10pm every day so there's always a time when there's nobody even in there.
Eeerm off the top of my heead it has like three bikes, two running, two cross trainers, and then a bunch of weight stuff that I ignore. It doesn't sound like much but I have NEVER been in there and not been able to get on a machine, and it's open from about 5.30am-10pm every day so there's always a time when there's nobody even in there.

That doesn't sound like very much. I guess I'll just have to find a time to go when it's less busy. By the way, I've been told that a lot of SPC flats are Single sex. Is this true?
Reply 12
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
That doesn't sound like very much. I guess I'll just have to find a time to go when it's less busy. By the way, I've been told that a lot of SPC flats are Single sex. Is this true?

I doubt it ever gets busy.

And single sex flats is completely wrong...Unite try to balance it out and go with half and half. My flat has three girls and three guys (one of the guys has not responded with the tenancy agreement though).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by scbond

And single sex flats is completely wrong...Unite try to balance it out and go with half and half. My flat has three girls and three guys (one of the guys has not responded with the tenancy agreement though).

What does this mean?
Original post by scbond

Ok Thanks very much, I'm glad to hear that.
Reply 15
Original post by Tottenh
What does this mean?

What do you mean 'what does this mean?' It's pretty straightforward, Unite try and have half girls and half boys in each flat by default. If you want any different then specify in the preferences if you by directly with them or call them if you book through the uni.
Reply 16
Original post by scbond
What do you mean 'what does this mean?' It's pretty straightforward, Unite try and have half girls and half boys in each flat by default. If you want any different then specify in the preferences if you by directly with them or call them if you book through the uni.

I mean, one of the people not agreeing to the tenancy thing? Does that mean the other people have to pay to compensate for the room?
Reply 17
Original post by Tottenh
I mean, one of the people not agreeing to the tenancy thing? Does that mean the other people have to pay to compensate for the room?

No?! He has nothing to do with the others...you pay for your room and use of the communal areas. This isn't a standard public tenancy. He's basically been too lazy to send the documents back in-time for the deadline they set to guarantee rooms.
Reply 18
I would say the majority of flats are mixed sex. I personally live in a same sex flat by coincidence, but of all the flats I know I only know one other same sex flat so it isn't that common. And yeah the gym doesn't sound like much but it never is that busy so it's pretty serviceable.
I would say the majority of flats are mixed sex. I personally live in a same sex flat by coincidence, but of all the flats I know I only know one other same sex flat so it isn't that common. And yeah the gym doesn't sound like much but it never is that busy so it's pretty serviceable.

O that's a bit worrying, I really don't want to be in a same sex flat because I'll be an engineering student which has 90% males. It'll be a bit too much of a sausage fest for me to handle, I tend to get on better with females too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending