The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8840
Original post by paddy
I'm pretty certain ASOS had some of their own brand bags in that style, it's a design that's been doing the rounds in a lot of places.

Also I wouldn't call £75 steep. It may not be the cheapest, but it definitely ain't the most expensive. The brand (Herschel) are known for their quality and design so I'd say the price is not too bad considering they'll last years :holmes:

Good quality sure, but the design is nothing special, you could get something similar for £15-20. Frankly for £75 I would expect a backpack to be made out of solid platinum.

That's is a lot of money for something that is going to get soaked every time it rains and then left on a bus within a few months.
Reply 8841
Picked up a white linen shirt yesterday for dat Indian summer.

Something like this but without the stripes:

Does anyone know where I can find a hoody of this shade of purple?

This one is from Burton but I'm not keen on the fit, can't seem to find something similar anywhere else. Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8843
Banana Republic have white linen trousers. Tried them on, nice fit - slim-ish but still nice and relaxed. Perfect for work during the summer (as in my work, not an office job :mmm:). Plus we're going to get them in brown and taupe :teeth:

Original post by py0alb
Good quality sure, but the design is nothing special, you could get something similar for £15-20. Frankly for £75 I would expect a backpack to be made out of solid platinum.

That's is a lot of money for something that is going to get soaked every time it rains and then left on a bus within a few months.

Like the guy said, just try to find a nicer bag in the same style for less.

And you must really suck at looking after your things. I have never left my bag on a bus, and if it's raining I always have my umbrella. Which I keep in my bag.

I mean seriously, I haven't seen a bag I like for <£100 in years except for Herschel bags. We can bitch and moan about how expensive clothes and accessories have become until the cows come home but the reality is that either you will go to a place like Topman and buy something generic that won't last a year or you will pay a lot of money for something nice that will last.

If you want nice things for cheap prices then you will become steadily more disappointed as the developing nations raise their prices and we cannot get traditional sweat shop profit margins.

Original post by kuks
Picked up a white linen shirt yesterday for dat Indian summer.

Something like this but without the stripes:

Get it gurl.

I got a nice fitting one from Banana Republic the other day. I'll probably end up getting at least one or two more, they're just so versatile.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8844
I don't know what the opinion of KG is on here but I thought I would flag this up - Kurt Geiger currently has a sale on. A lot of the shoes are not to my taste, but there are a few nice items on there.

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/men.html?dir=asc&limit=all&order=price&shop+by=sort_by|Sale
Surprised to see Kurt Geiger have a male collection :lolwut:
Reply 8846
Original post by paddy

And you must really suck at looking after your things. I have never left my bag on a bus, and if it's raining I always have my umbrella. Which I keep in my bag.

Its a rucksack. Something you shove your football boots in then chuck it in the mud. Something students carry their books around in before getting pissed and then leaving it in the pub. Buying an expensive rucksack is like buying a dissolvable umbrella.

/my opinion
Reply 8847
Original post by py0alb
Its a rucksack. Something you shove your football boots in then chuck it in the mud. Something students carry their books around in before getting pissed and then leaving it in the pub. Buying an expensive rucksack is like buying a dissolvable umbrella.

/my opinion

I guess my opinion is that you can still have things for function as well as 'fashion', I mean just because I'm going to a lecture doesn't mean I can't dress well. There are plenty of nice rucksacks out there, just because you associate them with carrying your books or boots around doesn't mean they can't be more than that.

Also bless you for talking about team sports like that's a thing I would know anything about :erm:
Reply 8848
Original post by paddy
I guess my opinion is that you can still have things for function as well as 'fashion', I mean just because I'm going to a lecture doesn't mean I can't dress well. There are plenty of nice rucksacks out there, just because you associate them with carrying your books or boots around doesn't mean they can't be more than that.

Also bless you for talking about team sports like that's a thing I would know anything about :erm:

I think sometimes there is value in items specifically because they are cheap and easily replaceable. I never buy expensive sunglasses because I'm forever breaking/losing them. If I shelled out £80 for a pair I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to wear them out of the house. To my mind, a rucksack falls into that category, if I wanted to look smart I would carry a shoulder bag or an overnight bag.
what are selvedge jeans?
Original post by jizzchops
what are selvedge jeans?

Denim made on old style shuttle looms, as opposed to the new projectile looms. It uses longer pieces of fabric in order for it to work, and it's generally a higher quality, thicker, more durable denim. It's usually sold in a raw/unwashed state, meaning it's very dark and stiff upon purchase, but as you wear it it molds to your leg shape and wears depending upon what you do while you're in them, which can create some really nice effects on the jeans.
Reply 8851
Original post by py0alb
I think sometimes there is value in items specifically because they are cheap and easily replaceable. I never buy expensive sunglasses because I'm forever breaking/losing them. If I shelled out £80 for a pair I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to wear them out of the house. To my mind, a rucksack falls into that category, if I wanted to look smart I would carry a shoulder bag or an overnight bag.

True, but I guess I just like combining elements of smartness in my casual looks.

I enjoy our style discussions :moon:
Reply 8852
Original post by paddy
True, but I guess I just like combining elements of smartness in my casual looks.

I enjoy our style discussions :moon:

Oh good, I was worried that you thought I was unnecessarily argumentative like everyone else on TSR apparently does :cool:.
Original post by jizzchops
what are selvedge jeans?

Original post by SamF1992
Denim made on old style shuttle looms, as opposed to the new projectile looms. It uses longer pieces of fabric in order for it to work, and it's generally a higher quality, thicker, more durable denim. It's usually sold in a raw/unwashed state, meaning it's very dark and stiff upon purchase, but as you wear it it molds to your leg shape and wears depending upon what you do while you're in them, which can create some really nice effects on the jeans.

Not strictly true, selvedge jeans are just jeans that are self edged, it doesn't necessarily mean anything about the quality. Sam I think is referring to Raw Denim jeans, which are often but not always self edged.

When talking about selvedge jeans are you referring to this finish here, most commonly on the outside leg seam;

The white and red edging is the selvedge, this jean has red selvedge.

It's a common mistake though, and a very easy one to make as it's rarely made clear. Feel free to quote me further questions, I'm by no means an expert but am an enthusiast.
Reply 8854
Original post by py0alb
Oh good, I was worried that you thought I was unnecessarily argumentative like everyone else on TSR apparently does :cool:.

Not at all, I mean this thread's purpose should be to discuss fashion right?

Makes a nice change from the people who just neg rep me as much as they can because I once told them whatever they wanted/bought was God-awful :pierre:

Anyway it's good we all have different views because otherwise we'd all just be a Topman catalogue.
Original post by Andy Ftw
Does anyone know where I can find a hoody of this shade of purple?

This one is from Burton but I'm not keen on the fit, can't seem to find something similar anywhere else. Thanks

Check out Republic white label or ebay.
How much should it cost to get trousers taken up a bit in the leg and taken in a bit at the waist?

Also how much would it cost to have the above done and having them slimmed down?

Obviously, I'm not expecting an exact price from you guys as it'll vary, but just a rough estimation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8857
Hi, hoping someone here can help me, looking to get some new trousers.
Personally not a fan on the bright red/burgundy floating about but one pair described as 'dark peat' caught my eye. They have a pretty cool workwear look to them:

Problem is I can't find any with the same colour in this country, they're either all too bright or too burgundy and these cost an arm and a leg in shipping from the states. Anyone have any ideas?
Original post by SamF1992
How much should it cost to get trousers taken up a bit in the leg and taken in a bit at the waist?

Also how much would it cost to have the above done and having them slimmed down?

Obviously, I'm not expecting an exact price from you guys as it'll vary, but just a rough estimation.

My local tailor here would probably charge £10-20 for that but, Mess already mentioned that his prices are rather cheap!
Reply 8859
Original post by JD.27
Hi, hoping someone here can help me, looking to get some new trousers.
Personally not a fan on the bright red/burgundy floating about but one pair described as 'dark peat' caught my eye. They have a pretty cool workwear look to them:

Problem is I can't find any with the same colour in this country, they're either all too bright or too burgundy and these cost an arm and a leg in shipping from the states. Anyone have any ideas?

I assume they are chinos?

If so I have a pair from Topman that I got in the sale, and I am pretty sure they are in that colour, if not one unbelievably similar. The quality is ok for the price I paid (technically, nothing as I had a voucher but they would have been around £25). I don't know if they still do them or not, however.

I agree with what you say - I am not usually a fan of such a colour but I think they look nice and fairly smart.