The Student Room Group

dont let the grades put you off

as a 5th year Architecture student. From personal experience, in Architecture, grades dont matter an awful lot when applying. Like its one of two things.

Either you have the best grades and you get in.

or you have below average grades, but amazing portfolio and good personality (in which case you'll be asked for an interview, so they can judge your character and your desire)

The amount of people who are studying architecture and dont even know how to draw is staggering. or the amount of people who study architecture but are so shy to talk infront of a crowd of people is bizarre as well. Then youve got the ones who are computer geeks, they know all the ins and outs of the softwares, and produce the best computer graphics. And then there are those whose best strength is talking, they can name drop every architect with their buildings, when it was built, how it was built etc.

There are so many different types of personalities that suites being an architect, and the professors know that!, a lot of them are odd beings themselves. so dont be put off just cos u didnt get all AAA's or A's and B's. id still apply..as i said you have 6 choices, so choose 2 unis that you know u can get in based on grades.

If anyone has any architecture questions, feel free to ask! good luck.

you're in for a surprise.
Reply 1
this is good advice thank you!!!
Most encouraging thing i've heard in a while :biggrin: thanks
The course suits bright technical people, problem solvers. Artiness gets you through first year, but once people start to scrutinise your work, only the people who are fluid learners and hardworkers get anywhere, apply if you're one of those, don't apply if you're a low-achieving arty dreamer.
Reply 4
hi, I'm an international applicant who have applied to Architecture courses this year. I didn't have any arty background so it's kinda demanding for me to have complete a portfolio. I have just finished my public exam so basically I'm having an unbelievably long holiday (for about 3 months), I'm now reading some books about physics, maths, and some cultural and history books (I'm a bookworm :s-smilie:) But I'm wondering how can I boost up my drawing skills? I watch some video clips and books saying all I need to do is practise, practise and practise. But I don't see an improvement when I don't even know some basic drawing skills. Any advice on what I should do to boost my drawing?
Thanks for reading such a long post! :smile:
Original post by winniey
hi, I'm an international applicant who have applied to Architecture courses this year. I didn't have any arty background so it's kinda demanding for me to have complete a portfolio. I have just finished my public exam so basically I'm having an unbelievably long holiday (for about 3 months), I'm now reading some books about physics, maths, and some cultural and history books (I'm a bookworm :s-smilie:) But I'm wondering how can I boost up my drawing skills? I watch some video clips and books saying all I need to do is practise, practise and practise. But I don't see an improvement when I don't even know some basic drawing skills. Any advice on what I should do to boost my drawing?
Thanks for reading such a long post! :smile:

Learning in a self-directed way usually hits a wall. Try your local college for summer courses.
Reply 6
Original post by GormlessWonder
The course suits bright technical people, problem solvers. Artiness gets you through first year, but once people start to scrutinise your work, only the people who are fluid learners and hardworkers get anywhere, apply if you're one of those, don't apply if you're a low-achieving arty dreamer.

NO WAY. that is utter pish. it depends on which university you go. a place like bath is very technical driven, whereas cambridge is more research based, and then there are unis like GSA/Edinburgh which are more art based. So you have to choose the architecture uni according to your strength. Im more of an arty person, and my uni caters to that.They put more emphasise on design/concept/drawings etc...and then technology is obviously needed, but we dont go too in depth.

and technology is just common sense, its not like youre going to sit there with physics and maths equations. its basically just simple structure details which u can easily find at your university library books, and thats about it. aslong as u know the simplistics of how your building stands up structurally ur good to go. its honestly not hard. and this is coming from a person who got **** grades in maths and physics Standard level in highschool.
Reply 7
Original post by GormlessWonder
Learning in a self-directed way usually hits a wall. Try your local college for summer courses.

I tried to apply for the course but unfornuately it's cancelled because there arent enough participants... :s-smilie:
Original post by seyi_ajewole
is this in all uni?

Well, the courses with lower grade requirements would be easier, but due to the popularity of the course, most are filled with people who are bright and hardworking, the people who expected to be doing stuff like A-level Art where they only painted tend not to be able to handle it. But don't let that put you off, just realise that most of the work you'll be doing later through the course you will be sat in front of a computer screen designing.
Original post by HoneyFlux
NO WAY. that is utter pish. it depends on which university you go. a place like bath is very technical driven, whereas cambridge is more research based, and then there are unis like GSA/Edinburgh which are more art based. So you have to choose the architecture uni according to your strength. Im more of an arty person, and my uni caters to that.They put more emphasise on design/concept/drawings etc...and then technology is obviously needed, but we dont go too in depth.

and technology is just common sense, its not like youre going to sit there with physics and maths equations. its basically just simple structure details which u can easily find at your university library books, and thats about it. aslong as u know the simplistics of how your building stands up structurally ur good to go. its honestly not hard. and this is coming from a person who got **** grades in maths and physics Standard level in highschool.

I wasn't talking about equations, my point was that architecture is about spending time thinking and making, most of the kids expecting artiness tend to not handle the rigour of the course as it progresses.
Reply 10
Hi, I can't decide between Edinburgh, Newcastle and Brighton, any insight as to how arty these schools are? From the look of the structure, it seems that Brighton is most arty but I couldn't be sure.
Reply 11
Original post by CheerWay
Hi, I can't decide between Edinburgh, Newcastle and Brighton, any insight as to how arty these schools are? From the look of the structure, it seems that Brighton is most arty but I couldn't be sure.

i have actually been to the final degree shows for all those unis, and i must say they are very similar in style. unis in scotland tend to be more art/design/concept driven. and brighton i found was very 'graphic' and computer aided. newcastle, was most developed i think technically. but they are all good unis. hard pick. good luck
Reply 12
Original post by HoneyFlux
i have actually been to the final degree shows for all those unis, and i must say they are very similar in style. unis in scotland tend to be more art/design/concept driven. and brighton i found was very 'graphic' and computer aided. newcastle, was most developed i think technically. but they are all good unis. hard pick. good luck

Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest