The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

is the OU a good choice for first degree?

hi everyone, i was intrested in doing the BEng in engineering (Q65) preferably going in to the design pathway, with the open uni. but i am not very sure if i should actually study my first degree with ou due to distant learning.
anyone who has done a bachelors degree, can u tell me what/how the study materials are like please...
thank you
I have some experience with OU but not to BEng level, but to hnd level. The quality of the materials seems good, but I am studying at university at the moment for an MEng and I think it is a much better learning experience. OU is great if you are trying to get qualified and fit it AROUND your life, but university BECOMES your life.

It depends what your looking for. OU also requires you to be highly self motivated as although there are support groups and forums etc; it still remains with you to get it done!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
thanks... that helps mate, also what about the tutor responses, for example if we get stuck with something, how quickly do they respond to your requests and so on. im just wondering because i sent them an email regarding the course content like 4 weeks ago still waiting for a reply :frown:
Reply 3
I echo what FranticMind says. The OU is there for peope who are unable to do full time study at a campus university or for people who don't want to for personal reasons. But if you're happy to go to a brick university then that's the thing to do. There's so many ways into university now that it's a lot easier than it was as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kevin12rick
thanks... that helps mate, also what about the tutor responses, for example if we get stuck with something, how quickly do they respond to your requests and so on. im just wondering because i sent them an email regarding the course content like 4 weeks ago still waiting for a reply :frown:

I've always had a fairly quick reply to emails - within a week, I think. If you need an urgent reply phoning tends to be better though!

I've rarely needed to speak to my tutors but when I have, I've found they respond quickly. Most of them emailed at the start of the module with their email address, mobile numbers, and the best time to contact them. Some are more involved than others (posting on the forums etc) but that's the way everywhere I guess.

Why is it that you're looking at the OU over a brick uni? Personally I much prefer distance learning but it's not for everyone.
Reply 5
This is the exact pathway I was going to be taking. I did look at an Open Degree, and thought it would be quite good to get a bunch of different modules, but for hiring purposes, it's better choosing a spesific Engineering pathway.

Have you done any distant learning before?
Reply 6
Original post by Kate.
I've always had a fairly quick reply to emails - within a week, I think. If you need an urgent reply phoning tends to be better though!

I've rarely needed to speak to my tutors but when I have, I've found they respond quickly. Most of them emailed at the start of the module with their email address, mobile numbers, and the best time to contact them. Some are more involved than others (posting on the forums etc) but that's the way everywhere I guess.

Why is it that you're looking at the OU over a brick uni? Personally I much prefer distance learning but it's not for everyone.

im just 19, but i wanted to help family financially because mum cant work anymore so ou seems to be a better choice....
but im stilll considering brick uni choices, thnx for the reply m8
Reply 7
Original post by e110074
This is the exact pathway I was going to be taking. I did look at an Open Degree, and thought it would be quite good to get a bunch of different modules, but for hiring purposes, it's better choosing a spesific Engineering pathway.

Have you done any distant learning before?

no m8, i was intrested in this choice but, then again they dont teach autocad which is really impotant so, idont really know what to go for...
thnx for the reply anyway m8.
when are u planning to start this course btw?
Reply 8
Original post by kevin12rick
no m8, i was intrested in this choice but, then again they dont teach autocad which is really impotant so, idont really know what to go for...
thnx for the reply anyway m8.
when are u planning to start this course btw?

AutoCad is pretty straight forward to learn. Grab yourself a copy and learn on the side, keeping yourself a nice portfolio for when you're done with your degree :smile:
Original post by Moggs
AutoCad is pretty straight forward to learn. Grab yourself a copy and learn on the side, keeping yourself a nice portfolio for when you're done with your degree :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AutoCAD-2012-Commercial-New-SLM/dp/B004TZWZFA/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1336234972&sr=1-1

so expensive :frown:
Reply 10

Wow, I hadn't realised. My worky friend gets loads of these licenses for free through his company. I wonder if they do a student discount or something. 1200 is pretty darn steep.
Reply 11
they do a student version. You can't use it commercially and all files are watermarked and can't be removed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoCAD#Student_versions

Quick Reply

Latest