The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beska
Yup. :smile: Stage 1 = year 1.

Thank you Beska! +rep!

But look at this document ... This is what initially worried me, in that I put the wrong code down :/

https://mbbs.ncl.ac.uk/admissions/docs/MBBSAdmissionsPolicy_2010.pdf
Reply 2601
Original post by NinjaRikki
Thank you Beska! +rep!

But look at this document ... This is what initially worried me, in that I put the wrong code down :/

https://mbbs.ncl.ac.uk/admissions/docs/MBBSAdmissionsPolicy_2010.pdf

Which part of the document concerns you?
Original post by Beska
Which part of the document concerns you?

section 9 it says stage 1 entry is for current newcastle students :/
Reply 2603
Original post by NinjaRikki
section 9 it says stage 1 entry is for current newcastle students :/

Either way, A100 is definitely 'normal' entry medicine so don't worry. :smile:
Applications for 2012 already oh dear god i need to sit down im hyperventilating at the thought of being in the words of beska a baby doctor.

But yes correct code just need to put down newcastle campus or dont mind.
Reply 2605
Original post by fairy spangles
Applications for 2012 already oh dear god i need to sit down im hyperventilating at the thought of being in the words of beska a baby doctor.

But yes correct code just need to put down newcastle campus or dont mind.

Baby doctor!! :biggrin:
Is it too risky to apply with a 682.5 average?!
Reply 2607
Original post by laughingbagel
Is it too risky to apply with a 682.5 average?!

Well the cut off was like 667.5 for the last lot of applications so you'd be above the old cut off. But obviously the cut off depends on how well everyone's done. You can't really predict how much the cut offs will rise or even fall. If you want to come to Newcastle I would risk it, that's what I did with my 670 and it paid off
Original post by hoonosewot
There are 3 exams in the first year. You sit an exam in September, one in January and one in June, all multiple choice (but not easy MCQs, trust me). You also have an OSCE, which is an exam testing your Clinical Skills, but it takes real incompetence to fail that.

Newcastle medics

An exam in the September of the first year?! The course starts in September! Is this right?
Reply 2609
Original post by Steerforth
Newcastle medics

An exam in the September of the first year?! The course starts in September! Is this right?

It was november not september :smile:
Original post by Stirlo
It was november not september :smile:

Thanks, although even November sounds early! How much had you covered by that point. Is the exam important?
Newcastle medics

Yeh that was a mistake, i meant November. I corrected that later in the thread.

That exam doesn't really count for anything, it's to familiarise you with the exam format and to check up on how people are settling into uni so they can catch anyone falling behind.

I've edited that post now as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2612
Thanks, although even November sounds early! How much had you covered by that point. Is the exam important?

2 units or so. Not too important no, but a merit on the exam counts towards achieving a merit/distinction overall for the year (if that's your thing).
Would love to know what to expect in the first few weeks in terms of lectures. Any Newcastle 1st years be kind enough to send me a screenshot of your timetable that I could add to our fb group?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending