The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolipanda
i don't know that every single one of them is. i assume that if they could stay safely, with a good standard of living, in their own country, then they would.

OK, let's say that my parent and grandparents are immigrants. Kashmir in Pakistan offers a good standard of living, and it's quite safe there. Do I want to live there? No, I was born here.This is my country. And if you don't know that they are claiming asylum, then why make the comment? On another note, not a single member of my family claimed asylum, and if they did, it would be unlikely that they would be allowed to work, legally, under UK laws

i know that. i think you may have misunderstood me a little. yes, of course they should be jailed here. they are british citizens. but if crimes like these are a result of immmigration, should britain continue to allow foreigners not from the EU to come here?

Like this wouldn't happen from within White communities either... Besides, they'd have much worse of a punishment in Pakistan (unless they happened to have some money), so it's hardly immigration that allows this to happen. Also, I don't see why you're getting in a hissy fit. It's now incredibly hard for a non EU national to enter the UK

well, from what i can see, it is. but that doesn't mean there are NO rapists in scandinavia.

Then why say that in the first place? I can't think of any society that condones rape. If any thing it's an un-Human thing to...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by de_monies
OK, let's say that my parent and grandparents are immigrants. Kashmir in Pakistan offers a good standard of living, and it's quite safe there. Do I want to live there? No, I was born here.This is my country. And if you don't know that they are claiming asylum, then why make the comment?

Like this wouldn't happen from within White communities either... Besides, they'd have much worse of a punishment in Pakistan (unless they happened to have some money), so it's hardly immigration that allows this to happen. Also, I don't see why you're getting in a hissy fit. It's now incredibly hard for a non EU national to enter the UK

Then why say that in the first place? I can't think of any society that condones rape. If any thing it's an un-Human thing to...

tbh that is highly questionable. Kashmir is in turmoil.

People aren't here cos they "love britain" they're here for economic reasons.
Reply 62
well, the way i see it, is that many immigrants from the middle east and africa come here to escape oppression in their own countries. hence, asylum seeking. we are told that they would be treated horribly in their own countries, so we should accept them into ours. however, if this is the result of that, does britain still have this responsibility?

did i say that norway doesn't have its own rapists -.- of course they do. but if rape is on the rise because of immigration...well thats a problem then isnt it.

Are you sure? I think the majority of expatriates from these nations are economic migrants rather than asylum seekers.
Reply 63
Original post by Bonged.
K thanks could I get the link for the source plz. cheers.

http://www.regjeringen.no/en/dep/jd/about-the-ministry-of-justice-and-the-po/contact.html?id=471

Sure. Contact them.

She is the Minister of Justice at present.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grete_Faremo
OK, let's say that my parent and grandparents are immigrants. Kashmir in Pakistan offers a good standard of living, and it's quite safe there. Do I want to live there? No, I was born here.This is my country. And if you don't know that they are claiming asylum, then why make the comment? On another note, not a single member of my family claimed asylum, and if they did, it would be unlikely that they would be allowed to work, legally, under UK laws

look, let me explain my viewpoint a bit more clearly for you. firstly, i am against immigration which is non-EU and non-south east asia. In regards to this particular case, i am not suggesting that these criminals go back to live in their ethnic countries. what i am trying to imply is that britain should not feel responsible to offer 'asylum seeking' or 'economic opportunities' to immigrants, if crimes like this are a result of it.
Original post by effofex
Are you sure? I think the majority of expatriates from these nations are economic migrants rather than asylum seekers.

fine, i stand corrected. but either way, if crimes like these are a result, regardless of whether it is asylum seeking or economic immigration, i believe that it should be stopped, or at least, severely limited.
Reply 66

..has held a number of positions in the norweigan labour party. I meant non biased sources tbh.
Reply 67
i don't know that every single one of them is. i assume that if they could stay safely, with a good standard of living, in their own country, then they would.

i know that. i think you may have misunderstood me a little. yes, of course they should be jailed here. they are british citizens. but if crimes like these are a result of immmigration, should britain continue to allow foreigners not from the EU to come here?

well, from what i can see, it is. but that doesn't mean there are NO rapists in scandinavia.

Economic migration is not really driven by safety. It is called 'economic' for a reason. I moved to the Netherlands because there was more money on offer. Not because I felt unsafe in my previous residence.

Many multinational corporations in the UKwill continue to recruit non-EU nationals to work there either because they fill the gap in a skills shortage, or because the candidates have language abilities/business networks that are more conducive to sales in economies outside the EU.
look, let me explain my viewpoint a bit more clearly for you. firstly, i am against immigration which is non-EU and non-south east asia. In regards to this particular case, i am not suggesting that these criminals go back to live in their ethnic countries. what i am trying to imply is that britain should not feel responsible to offer 'asylum seeking' or 'economic opportunities' to immigrants, if crimes like this are a result of it.

Crimes like this would happen regardless. And how do you know that they were seeking asylum? Again, the UK has made it quite hard to migrate from non EU countries now, so I don't see why you're getting in to a hissy fit
Original post by shyamshah
They will all be out by the time they are in there 30s and even before that, thats not enough for such a crime. Who says they wont do it again?

I negged you by mistake I meant to pos rep you but pressed the wrong button on my phone screen. If you send me a PM it will remind me to rep you when I can
Reply 70
Original post by Bonged.
..has held a number of positions in the norweigan labour party. I meant non biased sources tbh.

:sigh: This is heading down for a slippery slope. I'm giving you contacts directly from the police department of Norway, yet you still astonishingly find it not good enough, simply because the facts presented by the Norway police department do not corroborate with your viewpoints.

On that note, I'm out because this is far from productive.
Reply 71
fine, i stand corrected. but either way, if crimes like these are a result, regardless of whether it is asylum seeking or economic immigration, i believe that it should be stopped, or at least, severely limited.

If say, 1% of foreigners are criminals, that statistic is never going to be used as justification to prevent all international movement. It is almost impossible to do as long as the UK is a member state of a bloc where free movement between states exists. How would their government go about stopping it?

What rubbish, kashmir, even by pakistani standards is a depressed region full of poverty, hence why most unskilled pakistani immigrants in this country have come from that region originally.

Why would any british pakistani want to go and live there, there are cases of them being kidnapped in pakistan and their families back here sent ransom demands- comparativley bradford and oldham are paradises
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
What rubbish, kashmir, even by pakistani standards is a depressed region full of poverty, hence why most unskilled pakistani immigrants in this country have come from that region originally.

Well, I don't want to sound arrogant, but we are relatively well off in Pakistan, and Kashmir is deemed a safe area (even by the UK gov't) Also, you've had to be relatively well off to even travel to the UK in the first place. Other Pakistani's couldn't afford things like plane tickets at the time

Whilst Kashmir might be poor, we're not, and it is a safe area

Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
Why would any british pakistani want to go and live there, there are cases of them being kidnapped in pakistan and their families back here sent ransom demands- comparativley bradford and oldham are paradises

There are cases of kidnappings every where... and like I said, I was born in Britain and it's my country.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Florrick
:sigh: This is heading down for a slippery slope. I'm giving you contacts directly from the police department of Norway, yet you still astonishingly find it not good enough, simply because the facts presented by the Norway police department do not corroborate with your viewpoints.

On that note, I'm out because this is far from productive.

It's not the norway police department though is it, it's a labour party politician, who won't want to upset her voters. I wouldn't expect people to think that everything that John Prescott or David Blunkett said was 100 percent true, surely?
Reply 75
Original post by Skipbell
you defend terrorists now you're defending rapists.
says enough about you.

Petitio principii: try again.
Reply 76

The UK government does not operate separate policies on a nation-by-nation basis for countries outside the European Union.

So they would not have reduced controls for the South-East Asian nations (Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia) whilst maintaining a stricer policy for non-EU & non-South East Asian nations (Canada, India, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Ukraine, Turkey, South Africa, etc.).
Original post by Bonged.
tbh that is highly questionable. Kashmir is in turmoil.

The UK gov't says different

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/pakistan

It's Kashmir in India where the problem is:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/india

Original post by Bonged.
People aren't here cos they "love britain" they're here for economic reasons.

Of course, but I'd prefer to live in the UK even if Pakistan was developed a lot further
Original post by effofex
If say, 1% of foreigners are criminals, that statistic is never going to be used as justification to prevent all international movement. It is almost impossible to do as long as the UK is a member state of a bloc where free movement between states exists. How would their government go about stopping it?

well, i'm not trying to oppose 'all international movement'. and im against some immigration for more reasons than just crime. but this thread happens to be an example.
Reply 79
Filthy pigs should rot but what does this have to do with Eid and why mention it? Most Muslims don't commit crime over this period, those defending them should be ashamed, but those extrapolating their behaviour to all Muslims should also feel the same way.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending