The Student Room Group

Anyone else enjoy revising?

Recently I have noticed that once I understand the subject I enjoy revising it. For example I am currently revising Statistics 2 and originally I didn't know what was happening, mostly because I dick around in class, but now that I understand it I enjoy doing past papers. :tongue:

Anyone else find this to be true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I enjoy it when I know it, I hate it when I don't know it/find it boring.
And I feel suicidal when I don't know it, and know I have an exam the next day.

(I do find past papers really quite fun though... I'm so sad...)
No I've always loathed it - GCSEs/A-levels and now in my final year at Uni - I still feel that same sense of dread/frustration/panic. Thankfully these are the last exams I'll ever sit so that's my current motivation.
Reply 3
Original post by ummm
I enjoy it when I know it, I hate it when I don't know it/find it boring.
And I feel suicidal when I don't know it, and know I have an exam the next day.

(I do find past papers really quite fun though... I'm so sad...)

It's not sad at all. I really enjoy past papers, especially Maths ones :biggrin:
Reply 4
Once I get stuck in and start to understand what I'm doing, then yes I do quite enjoy it :smile: I suppose the enjoyment comes from knowing you're doing something worthwhile with your time rather than procrastinating, as well as enjoying the subject you're studying :tongue:
Reply 5
I enjoy revising in the sense that I've accomplished something... I can't say I actually find the process itself enjoyable. Learning on the other hand can be fun, but revising is generally memorising and that's pretty tedious.

Edit: Except for maths revision, that can be entertaining, especially when there are some funky problems. And maybe economics essays, as I tend to go way like 2 or 3 times over the word limit on my own little spiel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I find no enjoyment or motivation in it whatsoever. Usually when I start I find it hard to keep going. I can complete possibly one one-hour past paper in the space of five hours?
Reply 7
I find maths past papers quite fun:smile: especially further maths aha (as long as I can get to the answer..otherwise i'm pulling my hair out:P)

But I do feel that revising makes me feel good afterwards..like i've done something productive for the day:tongue: a bit like exercise does..
I put on my motivational playlist and just get to it! I like making sticky notes to leave around my room :smile: I love it when I get into a good essay; just for revision purposes and then I feel happy when I hand it in to be assessed >.<
Reply 9
Depends on subject

For me, revising for RE KILLS me:angry:. But revising for Maths and doing questions is fun, fun and fun! :smile: So is Business sometime fun and Science depends on the module -bio, chem or physics
Reply 10
Never.
revising, fun? not sure if serious.
I hate revising, but it's still not as bad as writing essays.
Reply 13
Original post by nerd434
I like the idea of putting in the work and getting rewarded at the end of it. This will sound weird but I always study with the intention of getting 100% in the exam/test. It seldom happens but then it kind of feels like a challenge to learn everything rather than being bored and learning tiny bits and bobs hoping what you know might come up and you could scrap your desired grade.

Aiming for full marks does work, even if you get no where near it, you will still get good grades considering there is normally a 30% difference between an A and full marks.

I do this, but careless errors always kill that hope :P

I hate it especially when an exam or assessment is so easy that the top students all get like 90% - this happens a lot with Maths Extension at my school (in Aus), where the top 5 people in the Maths Extension 2 class all get 27-29/30 in the easier Maths Extension 1 exam. A careless error or two can send you out of the top 5.
Reply 14
I gave up on revision cards days ago, so now I'm making powerpoints of my exams. Child that I am, I've replaced James I's portrait with this one, just for fun:

:ahee:

ACH! Negged by a Scot :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Depends.
I get strangely happy when I start revision before the other people in my class, it makes me feel good about myself.
But when the exams get nearer, I just want to bang my head against the wall. I get so sickeningly nervous, and I can't concentrate properly, so I like to start revision early.
Original post by Ra Ra
I gave up on revision cards days ago, so now I'm making powerpoints of my exams. Child that I am, I've replaced James I's portrait with this one, just for fun
:ahee:

I'm doing something similar, I'm doing revision cards with handdrawn Elizabeth I sporting a very fetching handlebar moustache..it looks suprisingly good! :ahee:

I adore history revision, enjoy politics revision and am terrified by English literature revision.
Reply 17
Once I understand it (and the Eureka moment happens), I love it - and doing past papers, on the particular topic.
Reply 18
Original post by confusedexcited
I'm doing something similar, I'm doing revision cards with handdrawn Elizabeth I sporting a very fetching handlebar moustache..it looks suprisingly good! :ahee:

I adore history revision, enjoy politics revision and am terrified by English literature revision.

History revision seems to be the most fun at the moment, though I love revising for The Great Gatsby. Poetry, not so much. :colonhash:
Original post by postman pat
Recently I have noticed that once I understand the subject I enjoy revising it. For example I am currently revising Statistics 2 and originally I didn't know what was happening, mostly because I dick around in class, but now that I understand it I enjoy doing past papers. :tongue:

Anyone else find this to be true?

the only subject I enjoy is biology, for every other one it depends on whether I understand it and am getting questions right, or not. Think chem4 is/mechanics are the 2 most annoying to understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending