The Student Room Group

SG English Writing

Hi,

I am, and probably some of you are as well, going to be sitting by SG Writing on Thursday. I am really quite nervous about this due to the apparent randomness of the exam. This my English prelim and other marks:

Talk: 1
Reading Folio: Probably 1
Writing Folio: Probably 1
Writing Prelim:2
Reading Prelim: 2

Although, I did miss the one for the CR by 1 mark and am now fairly confident of getting a one in this. However it is the writing which is causing me to lose sleep.
In my first timed writing, which I did as practise in class, I received a 2 for a personal experience. This was quite a while ago. For the November prelim, i decided to do a describe the scene, which i got a 2 again for. Since then, I have done a good quality describe the scene, of my local park, and think it is definitely a 1 for my folio.

However, I struggle, well at least I feel I do with nature like owns e.g trees. However, parks or train station, I think I could do well in. But the main question, what if one of these does not come up? What am I supposed to do? I do not have many personal experiences I could write about without making it up. I have never attempted to do a short story before due to the lack of imagination I have it was a poor effort and that took me weeks to do.

I think I would only need about a 2, if I get a 1 for the CR but will techniques be enough to get me to that if i have no real grasp of what I am talking about?
Reply 1
Original post by kylerfc
I am really quite nervous about this due to the apparent randomness of the exam. This my English prelim and other marks:

Talk: 1
Reading Folio: Probably 1
Writing Folio: Probably 1
Writing Prelim:2
Reading Prelim: 2

There's a reading folio? I don't remeber this last year when I did SG English. :confused:

Original post by kylerfc
However, I struggle, well at least I feel I do with nature like owns e.g trees. However, parks or train station, I think I could do well in. But the main question, what if one of these does not come up? What am I supposed to do? I do not have many personal experiences I could write about without making it up. I have never attempted to do a short story before due to the lack of imagination I have it was a poor effort and that took me weeks to do.

I think I would only need about a 2, if I get a 1 for the CR but will techniques be enough to get me to that if i have no real grasp of what I am talking about?

What to do if something you have a significant amount of knowledge on doesn't come up? - Don't stress about it! Take it by the chin and look for something similar, or something that looks relatively easy.

I am the exact same, I was useless and still am useless at short stories. I find it easier to go for essays that you can express feelings reflectively, and share your own opinion (i.e. endlessly rant until you fill about 2 pages). If I remember correctly my essay question I chose last year was to discuss the issue of bottling your own emotions inside, or letting them out, expressing them. This was perfect as it allowed me to reflect and describe moments when I've bottled up my own feelings. It was a very depressing essay overall, although I got a 1/2 for it.

So bascially, if you can't find any questions where you're describing anything or whatever, choose the reflective essays where you basically rant about different viewpoints of a topic or opinion, and then fit in your own opinion and past experiences in wherever you can and also reflect on those: why it happened; how you felt before, during, after it happened; has it changed you in any way; how you look at things now e.g. differently or the same. Sort of stuff like that if you can't find anything else to suit as I personally find reflective essays easier to make up from the top of my head.
Reply 2
Thanks for very much for your help and I will try and use it. It is really just a matter of waiting now really.
Reply 3
If you get what you got before , you will get a one overall. You could even get a 2 for talk and still get a one overall.
Reply 4
the SQA have to try and cover as many bases as they can with their questions so that everyone has something to write about, so the chances are pretty high that you can twist your previous essay into one of the questions tomorrow.

Personal essays ~ remember thoughts and feelings but don't overdo it
Imaginative essays ~ don't concentrate on some out-of-this-world plot and focus more on the scenery and description

Good Luck tomorrow, I am sure you will be fine.
Reply 5
Thanks, well we will just need to wait and see then!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending