The Student Room Group

PLEASE PLEASE help! CHEM5 Transition metals...

Hiya! Basically, i need to know what we need to know for this chapter. My teacher's taught from the AQA book and thats it. However on tsr iv been hearing about memorising coloured ions and stuff. We've only been taught about 6 or 7 anf people are saying theres way more.....

Could someone PLEASE just give a rough outline of what I need to know? Coloured ions and reactions and stuff. Or just a nudge in the general direction, maybe some links?

ANY help would be most appreciated!
Reply 1
sorry I can't exactly help you because I'm doing edexcel but you are learning similar things to me.

I would suggest you go on to the aqa website and download the specification which covers what you need to know.

For the coloured ions bit its this:

sodium na+ yellow
potassium k+ lilac
calcium ca2+ red
coppper(ll) cu2+ green - blue

Basically these colours above are given off in a flame when it is reacting with something or burning.

Hope I helped.
Reply 2
Colored ions...

Do you mean the

Copper ions = blue
Iron 2+ ions = green
Iron 3+ ions = brown
kinda thing?
Reply 3
Check on the spec..and if thats not clear enough just have a go at some AQA past papers and it shud become apparent whether you need to memorise the colours or not. I do edexcel so im not sure about AQA.
Just check your spec it's not difficult.
You really should know the colours and reactions of transition metal complexes, e.g. [CuCl4]2-, [Cr(H2O)6]3+.
There are 6 transition metals split up into reacting with OH, excess OH, NH3, Excess NH3 and Carbonate.

So we're looking at 30 equations here, most follow a similar pattern but surely this should be given in class?
Reply 8
Hey, I know it's a bit late but I hope this helps

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

This is what i'm learning, very slowly :banghead:
I thought that (Cr(H2O)6) 3 was green not red???

Quick Reply

Latest