The Student Room Group

ESPRC Funding installments..

Hi,

I tried searching through the official funding topic but.. after going through a few pages I found myself with no information relevant to science based funding.. or at least the question I'm asking in this thread.

I'm starting a Ph.D in September (not exactly sure but probs 17th), position confirmed as well as the funding from EPSRC of about £14k, so, my question is, does anybody know how this is spread out over the year? Is it split into 4 installments (September/January/April/July?) or is it like how undergraduate degrees do it, as 3 installments.
I can't see how the latter would work seeing as you'd have basically nothing over the summer months of the year, considering Ph.D's don't have the '3 month break' like UG degrees do.

If anybody can shed some light that'd be great, I wanna know what I can start spending this influx of cash on.

Cheers,

T.
Original post by Teabo
Hi,

I tried searching through the official funding topic but.. after going through a few pages I found myself with no information relevant to science based funding.. or at least the question I'm asking in this thread.

I'm starting a Ph.D in September (not exactly sure but probs 17th), position confirmed as well as the funding from EPSRC of about £14k, so, my question is, does anybody know how this is spread out over the year? Is it split into 4 installments (September/January/April/July?) or is it like how undergraduate degrees do it, as 3 installments.
I can't see how the latter would work seeing as you'd have basically nothing over the summer months of the year, considering Ph.D's don't have the '3 month break' like UG degrees do.

If anybody can shed some light that'd be great, I wanna know what I can start spending this influx of cash on.

Cheers,

T.

Ours are paid monthly in advance but I think it depends on the university and some pay quarterly.
You get paid monthly.
Reply 3
Just to add to the spectrum of answers: Mine is(/ was :frown:) paid monthly in arrears but I think another department in the same university pays quarterly in advance.
Reply 4
Depends entirely on the university and research council I think. I'm paid quarterly :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks all for your responses, helpful indeed. Although, don't supposed any of you had funding from the EPRSC at Manchester Uni?

I'm hoping it's monthly.
Reply 6
Original post by Teabo
Thanks all for your responses, helpful indeed. Although, don't supposed any of you had funding from the EPRSC at Manchester Uni?

I'm hoping it's monthly.

Have you read through the EPRSC guidelines to check? As it might be outlined there :smile:
Reply 7
Aha, yeah, absolutely useless to make out anything from their funding guide, useless. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Cheers anyway!
Original post by Teabo

I'm hoping it's monthly.

Pretty sure it will be- I do some bits and pieces with Manchester
If it's not monthly, you could always do what i did with my student loan in order to force financial discipline, and have two accounts, and set up a standing order....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending