The Student Room Group

English Language GCSE - calculating my overall grade

Hi :smile: Just wondering if anyone knows how to convert the marks that i got for my English Language GCSE into UMS and then calculate what grade i am likely to get overall, as i am curious :smile:

I got 103/120 UMS in unit 1 (worth 40%)
40/45 Raw marks in unit 2 (worth 20%)
74/80 Raw marks in unit 3 (worth 40%)

Thanks so much to anyone who can work it out :smile: xx
Reply 1
Original post by Alexandra82
Hi :smile: Just wondering if anyone knows how to convert the marks that i got for my English Language GCSE into UMS and then calculate what grade i am likely to get overall, as i am curious :smile:

You're not likely to get a grade - by the looks of it you have it already.

As for the grade no one can say as grade boundaries aren't known but it looks like a solid A :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by USB
You're not likely to get a grade - by the looks of it you have it already.

As for the grade no one can say as grade boundaries aren't known but it looks like a solid A :smile:

Yh, sorry, i didn't phrase that very well. Do you think there's any chance it could be an A*, cos i'm wondering whether to redo any of the controlled assessments? :smile:
Reply 3
Yh, sorry, i didn't phrase that very well. Do you think there's any chance it could be an A*, cos i'm wondering whether to redo any of the controlled assessments? :smile:

Didn't realise C/A could be redone...

But there is still a possibility of an A*, providing the boundaries are low enough. Do you know the boundaries for any past papers of the same exam?
Reply 4
Original post by USB
Didn't realise C/A could be redone...

But there is still a possibility of an A*, providing the boundaries are low enough. Do you know the boundaries for any past papers of the same exam?

Yh, you can redo C/A as long as you chose a different title to what you did it on the first time :smile: and no, i had a look but i couldn't find any previous grade boundaries, but i don't think i can be bothered to redo anything anyway... theres too many exams to revise for in the summer. Thanks for your help tho :smile:
Not sure if you still want to know, but if you do...

You can convert your raw marks to UMS using AQA's online coverter, which is available here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/

Now obviously the grade boudaries can fluctuate slightly as to where they fall for each year, but if you base it on June 2011, your results would be something like follows:

Unit 1 - 103 UMS = A; you need 108 for an A*
Unit 2 - 40 raw converts to 53 UMS = A; you need 54 for A*
Unit 3 - 74 raw converts to 111 UMS = A*

Overall, the full GCSE English Language award is calculated from 300 UMS, with the following breakdowns:

300-270 = A*
269-240 = A
239-210 = B
209-180 = C
179-150 = D
149-120 = E
119-90 = F
89-60 = G
59> = U

Your UMS marks (103+53+111) based on June 2011 equates to 267, so you are definitiely at A grade, and just a few short of A*.

Hope this all makes some sense (it's a lot of numbers!).
Reply 6
Original post by spiritofsussex
Not sure if you still want to know, but if you do...

You can convert your raw marks to UMS using AQA's online coverter, which is available here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/

Now obviously the grade boudaries can fluctuate slightly as to where they fall for each year, but if you base it on June 2011, your results would be something like follows:

Unit 1 - 103 UMS = A; you need 108 for an A*
Unit 2 - 40 raw converts to 53 UMS = A; you need 54 for A*
Unit 3 - 74 raw converts to 111 UMS = A*

Overall, the full GCSE English Language award is calculated from 300 UMS, with the following breakdowns:

300-270 = A*
269-240 = A
239-210 = B
209-180 = C
179-150 = D
149-120 = E
119-90 = F
89-60 = G
59> = U

Your UMS marks (103+53+111) based on June 2011 equates to 267, so you are definitiely at A grade, and just a few short of A*.

Hope this all makes some sense (it's a lot of numbers!).

Omg, i didn't realise you could work it out like that. It makes sense though, thanks so much :smile: Fingers crossed that the grade boundaries might go down slightly this year. I have a feeling that they might because, i don't know if this applies to all the schools in the country, but in our school, last years year 11 were soooooooo much smarter than this years, lol XD
Reply 7
Hey ,i just calculated my UMS against the jan 2012 boundaries and im only 11 short of an A* :frown:

I just wanted to know do the boundaries for UMS change every term for coursework ?

Im so depressed , i really wanted that a* for english language !
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by v.007
Hey ,i just calculated my UMS against the jan 2012 boundaries and im only 11 short of an A* :frown:

I just wanted to know do the boundaries for UMS change every term for coursework ?

Im so depressed , i really wanted that a* for english language !

Yes, i'm pretty sure that they do, cos i remember our teacher saying to us that she couldn't be sure of the grade we got for our coursework, as the grade boundaries change every year :smile: And I'm only 3 away!! I will be so disappointed if they don't move down! Fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 9
Yes, i'm pretty sure that they do, cos i remember our teacher saying to us that she couldn't be sure of the grade we got for our coursework, as the grade boundaries change every year :smile: And I'm only 3 away!! I will be so disappointed if they don't move down! Fingers crossed :smile:

Thanks , theres still hope for the both of us :h:

good luck !
It is generally the exam papers and the conversion rate to UMS that change every year depending on difficulty.

From the specifications I've come across, Coursework is less likely to change - certainly for both AQA English and English Language GCSEs, the written coursework grade boundaries did not change in the last couple of exam series (June 2011 and January 2012). The English Language unit changed ever ever so slightly for January 2011 but this was just one mark in the A* and A - everything from B downwards has been at the same rate ever since this GCSE was introduced.
Are the grade boundaries likely to go down this year?
Reply 12
i got:
unit 1: 105/120 UMS
unit 2: 38/45 raw marks
unit 3: 75/80 raw marks,
so what would that be on last years grade boundaries??? really hoping for an A*
hey could anyone calculate mine? i do ocr new specification

107/120 raw mark
56/60 raw mark
55/60 raw mark

and what kind of grade I would get

ggggfffgggggggfgfgfgggggf
Reply 15
Original post by whattttttttttfd
ggggfffgggggggfgfgfgggggf

Why did u reply 3 years latA?
why not
How do I calculate my overall grade for English lan Foundation tier I got 54/80 in my coursework and probably would get around 45-54 in the exam would that be a C ?. Ive been trying to work out what I got overall and its stressing me out cuz I cant find it on the aqa website
Where are you all getting these raw marks from? In essay-based subjects, it's very difficult to predict what your raw marks will be. They may be considerably higher or lower than what you expect. You shouldn't really bother trying to predict your grades, as it's near-impossible to do.

EDIT: Just realised this was a thread from 3 years ago. :colondollar:
I was just wondering what I'd get overall as I know the mark I got in the coursework , was wondering if there is a way of calculating my overall grade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending