The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M1011
Oo I was doing this years ago, didn't know everyone else was :smile:

This bit is new for me though;

Arbitrage Betting: This is when you find back odds considerably higher than the lay odds and you place your own money on these odds to make a profit. It is common for arbers to underlay to ensure more profit if the bet wins in the bookmaker. There is big money to be made here, and there are usually plenty of arbs to be found on horse racing for the main UK bookies, and plenty on other events (depending on the bookie) such as football, darts, tennis, golf, formula one etc...

Am I understanding this right, you bet on both sides of the outcome? Anyone got a real example of this they could talk me though? :tongue:

Say Chelsea are at odds 3.00 to win against Barca at a bookies, and on Betfair the lay is at 2.6 with good liquidity; if I placed a stake for £100 and the bookies and £106 at the exchange then I either win £30.40 or 70p if they lose.

It's all good in theory and odds search sites will find decent ones, the problem comes when the bookie notices you are uploading large amounts in succession (if the bets keep losing there), betting on obscure markets and consistently taking odds which are out of line with the market. Some bookies I've used, such as Victor and Boylesports, haven't tended to notice much, whereas others like Stan James (who I swear purposely set the odds high to catch out the arbers) will limit/close your account.

You need a fairly large float to make any money from it and its fairly risky too, for example odds could shoot back down to normal and if you've already placed one side of the bet then you'll perhaps have to settle with a small loss.
Reply 6521
Original post by M1011
Oo I was doing this years ago, didn't know everyone else was :smile:

This bit is new for me though;

Arbitrage Betting: This is when you find back odds considerably higher than the lay odds and you place your own money on these odds to make a profit. It is common for arbers to underlay to ensure more profit if the bet wins in the bookmaker. There is big money to be made here, and there are usually plenty of arbs to be found on horse racing for the main UK bookies, and plenty on other events (depending on the bookie) such as football, darts, tennis, golf, formula one etc...

Am I understanding this right, you bet on both sides of the outcome? Anyone got a real example of this they could talk me though? :tongue:

Arbitrage is not quite the money spinner you are making it out to be. There is money to be made but a lot of capital is required. Also, you will very quickly get your online accounts gubbed.

What you describe is the basic concept of an arb. To find these i would advise you use oddsmonkey. I had a quick look today and found a micro arb on the Derby v Peterborough game on saturday. At Stan James Derby to win are priced at 2.3, whereas to lay Derby to win is priced at 2.22 at Betfair. However, this is not sufficient enough to make any real profit. If you put £100 on this and laid for £106 (a liability of £130) you would only make about 70p. That would mean you'd make a 0.3% return on your capital. Not the best return your money can make. . . .
Original post by A-K-J
Unless your planning on stealing peoples identity with fake passport etc you should be safe :smile:

Im from zanzibar, you?

dsm, hehe. do you still live on znz or moved out?
Reply 6523
What's the best tactic for doing the bet365 offer? Bet the whole £200 qualifier in one go? Or spread it out? Don't want to be stuck in a situation where I have to roll it over numerous times etc, don't have a massive float
Original post by CallumMc
What's the best tactic for doing the bet365 offer? Bet the whole £200 qualifier in one go? Or spread it out? Don't want to be stuck in a situation where I have to roll it over numerous times etc, don't have a massive float

If you have not got the float to cover the offer then dont risk it. if the worse case happens and your bets win at Bet365 your money is going to be in there for months.

I just looked on Oddsmonkey and put the maximum money on for the best matches.
One of my qualifiers won though so i had to put on three more 'qualifer' bets to get my money out.
Reply 6525
What size float would you recommend?
What size float would you recommend?

The Wagering Requirement is £1200 so you should have that for your float.
If you go for high odds and it goes wrong though, you will need more than that. I lost a bet at high odds and had to place more bets as i said.

The minimum odds are 1.5 which is low for a bonus so you could try and bet at minimum odds and underlay but i dont like doing this.

Remember the £50 mobile offer as well.
Reply 6527

Surely it will be £400 as you get the £200 bonus straight away? They're not 'qualifiers' as such as the offer is SR. Obviously you'd use odds below 2.0 but above the minimum odds (1.3?). However, you definitely need a large float - probably £800 plus - before attempting this.
Reply 6528
Original post by gary901
Surely it will be £400 as you get the £200 bonus straight away? They're not 'qualifiers' as such as the offer is SR. Obviously you'd use odds below 2.0 but above the minimum odds (1.3?). However, you definitely need a large float - probably £800 plus - before attempting this.

Right, so let me get this

I deposit £200

I then get £200 in free bets

Should I place 2 seperate £200 bets?

Or spread it out over smaller bets?

Thanks
Reply 6529
Right guys, im kinda stuck in a pickle. I did the allyoubet freebet, and now i want to withdraw my money out by i got around £569, i can only withdraw £469 because of the free £100 bet they gave me, i was so close to getting it out but i one on the bookie hence why i have so much money in there now. Im starting to loose money as i cant find good bets with allyoubet and i just want to get my money out.
Reply 6530
Right, so let me get this

I deposit £200

I then get £200 in free bets

Should I place 2 seperate £200 bets?

Or spread it out over smaller bets?

Thanks

Basically i would do this in 3 bets of £400 (if you don't bust out on the 1st bet) so you will get through the £1200 Wage requirement. I would do this at odds between 1.5-1.8 - as low as allowed in the T's & C's.

On the first bet i would under lay - say around £380 at Betfair - then if it wins at the bookmaker you will have made a small profit/broke even so you can still guarantee around £160/£170 profit. If the bet loses at bet365 on the 1st bet then you will have made this amount anyway with the underlay.
I done a little bit of matched betting then stopped, I want to start again but I have no idea which websites I've already used. What do I do?
Reply 6532
Original post by spamking
I done a little bit of matched betting then stopped, I want to start again but I have no idea which websites I've already used. What do I do?

You've got two options really:

1) you try all combinations of your username and password on bookmakers sites - this depends if you use the same username and password as it will obviously be easier if you do.

2) you try to sign up to new accounts at the bookmakers - they will usually tell you if you have signed up already or not.

Either way is quite time consuming so try to have a think of which ones you will have done.
For this offer: http://www.10bet.com/promotions/welcome_bonus/ where it says that the initial deposit has to be rolled over once before the bonus is credited does that simply mean that you have to stake your initial deposit before it is credited?
Reply 6534
Original post by UseYourEyes
For this offer: http://www.10bet.com/promotions/welcome_bonus/ where it says that the initial deposit has to be rolled over once before the bonus is credited does that simply mean that you have to stake your initial deposit before it is credited?

I'd assume so. Just place a £200 bet and they will credit the bonus. If in doubt ask CS.

Also, look out for point 6, as you can only place bets of 50% of the bonus to meet the WR. This could also be applicable when getting the bonus credited.
Original post by gary901
I'd assume so. Just place a £200 bet and they will credit the bonus. If in doubt ask CS.

Also, look out for point 6, as you can only place bets of 50% of the bonus to meet the WR. This could also be applicable when getting the bonus credited.

So from point 6 I should essentially place 2 £50 bets if i get a £100 bonus? I gather i'm still trying to lose at the bookies so that I win at Betfair?
Reply 6536
So from point 6 I should essentially place 2 £50 bets if i get a £100 bonus? I gather i'm still trying to lose at the bookies so that I win at Betfair?

I'm not 100% ask CS they should be able to help you.

Yes as it is SR, but i wouldn't factor that into your bets. I would still use odds of 1.7-1.9 rather higher odds. Sods law will no doubt mean the long shot will come in and you will have a LOT of money in the bookmaker and not much in Betfair.

Like the Bet365 bonus, you should ensure you have a decent float. To maximise it you need at least a £1000, as this is the WR. However, the site isn't clear on the WR in my opinion. It says it is 5 unless it is mentioned in points 7-9. Then in point 9 it states that the rest of the world (as UK isn't mentioned) that it is 12.

This is something else you should check with CS before depositing.

Also, they have been known to refuse bets with out of line odds, so i would try to find odds that are close - but not too out of line/an arb. I would not bet on any obscure markets. Try to stick EPL or Championship etc.
Original post by gary901
I'm not 100% ask CS they should be able to help you.

Yes as it is SR, but i wouldn't factor that into your bets. I would still use odds of 1.7-1.9 rather higher odds. Sods law will no doubt mean the long shot will come in and you will have a LOT of money in the bookmaker and not much in Betfair.

Like the Bet365 bonus, you should ensure you have a decent float. To maximise it you need at least a £1000, as this is the WR. However, the site isn't clear on the WR in my opinion. It says it is 5 unless it is mentioned in points 7-9. Then in point 9 it states that the rest of the world (as UK isn't mentioned) that it is 12.

This is something else you should check with CS before depositing.

Also, they have been known to refuse bets with out of line odds, so i would try to find odds that are close - but not too out of line/an arb. I would not bet on any obscure markets. Try to stick EPL or Championship etc.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, I think I will steer clear of this one for a little while longer. I have just about finished all the offers from the high street bookies and have been searching for less "known" bookies hence this offer appearing.
Reply 6538
Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, I think I will steer clear of this one for a little while longer. I have just about finished all the offers from the high street bookies and have been searching for less "known" bookies hence this offer appearing.

No worries mate. Probably for the best.

For SUB's there's a decent list here - http://www.thegoldtiger.com/bookmakers/

These are all 'safe' bookmakers - in that they are most reputable and likely to honour their bonuses. That's the list i use but there is obviously other sites such as OLBG and freebets.

Have a look through those to see if there is any you haven't done yet.
Original post by united2000

Im sure there are still some bookies you have not signed up to. How many have you signed up to?
You can do reloads, there is a current one at Bwin, £80 free money available until 25th.

I've looked through lists of sign up offers, and done them all (well apart from ones which have bad reviews, don't pay out etc.). Funnily enough though Bwin is not one i've done :colondollar:. Is there a list or such of current reload offers? I never seem to get any through email.

Latest