The Student Room Group

What languages do you speak?

Scroll to see replies

I have a question, for people who are natively bilingual...do you mix your thoughts in both languages? Or is that just me :colondollar:
English like a native, French like an evicted protégé of Baudelaire, Italian like one of Cellini's jewels, Greek like an Etruscan vase, and Latin like Cicero's pet dog.
Reply 102
Latin beginner Kreole (beginner lol take the mick out of my mum) French (intermediate) Spanish (advanced) English (native)
I am a total language geek I'll admit it, I love to speak and never shut up. I teach language classes as well, to children in a local primary school. In a year, aged 10 and 11, they have completed the GCSE Spanish curriculum, including the reading/writing tasks; ie. write a letter pretending to be a celebrity, about your favourite holiday etc.

In Spanish, Catalan, English, and Greek - I am a Fluent Native; not sure which of the first 3 was my first language, as my first word was 'no' XD
I can also read Ancient Greek (- this is not to be scoffed at, as Ancient Greek is very different to Modern Greek!)

Portuguese - I speak 'Brazilian', and consider myself fluent. Other people have mistaken me as native in the past, so I think this is a valid claim.

Due to my knowledge of the other latin languages (plus basic latin), I can understand the majority of Italian and Romanian. I have read books in Italian, such as Zlatan Ibrahimovich's "I am Zlatan" where I basically had the choice between Italian and Swedish. I have a few Romanian friends and understand most of what they say, and they in return can understand a catalan/italian/spanish hybrid.

German and Arabic - I'm currently pursuing these. I love Arabic but hate the harshness of German, although I imagine the scandinavian languages to be more so?

Other than that, I speak some French- badly (catalan accent), some Basque, and some Japanese. Due to where I live I also speak a little of the everyday phrases from eastern european languages, like Polish.
Reply 104
No-one's mentioned Elvish yet? Sad times we live in. :[

Nah, but I'm English and I can understand some French and Spanish. I really want to work on learning languages though, just so then I can communicate with my international friends in their own language without feeling ignorant/obnoxious/whatever for only being able to speak English. :K:
Original post by Carinaea
No-one's mentioned Elvish yet? Sad times we live in. :[

Nah, but I'm English and I can understand some French and Spanish. I really want to work on learning languages though, just so then I can communicate with my international friends in their own language without feeling ignorant/obnoxious/whatever for only being able to speak English. :K:

I used to be able to speak some of the ancient language from the Eragon Books :blush: Oh, and Na'vi from the James Cameron movie! XD
Original post by Miss_Scarlett
I have a question, for people who are natively bilingual...do you mix your thoughts in both languages? Or is that just me :colondollar:

Yes, I also mix when speaking -.-'

"Muuum, tengo hambre.. :frown: Yo quiero food!"

or, "Hellooo Katerina-mou!"
Reply 107
English (Native)
Catalan (Fluent, although very rusty with speaking and writing).
Spanish (GCSE)
Italian (GCSE)

Also random phrases and suchlike in French, although I wouldn't call myself a speaker.

Not really but I do maths in Spanish.
English - native
German - I do A Level, but am about C1 level
French - Doing A Level, not quite past B2 yet
Latin - can read quite a bit, obviously don't speak it
Russian - basic conversational level
Hungarian - beginner
Original post by madders94
English and Welsh (native), French (GCSE standard, fairly fluent), Spanish (learning). I want to learn Esperanto and BSL :smile:

Are you still learning it, or did you stop once you finished GCSE? Only, there are loads of people I know who got an A in GCSE French, who can barely string a sentence together :s-smilie:
Original post by Ra Ra
Are you still learning it, or did you stop once you finished GCSE? Only, there are loads of people I know who got an A in GCSE French, who can barely string a sentence together :s-smilie:

GCSE French is terrible, it misses the point completely... learn to DELF B2 or above and you'd be fine :h:
Original post by tehFrance
GCSE French is terrible, it misses the point completely... learn to DELF B2 or above and you'd be fine :h:

I was really shocked when I discovered that most of the class couldn't count beyond thirty in French, yet knew how to say 'I am a builder' :confused: But make of that what you will...at least they'd be able to get a job in France :biggrin:

Well when I speak to my parents I usually speak what I call cantonglish... A fusion of cantonese and english.

I like it when I speak to them on the phone or something and my friends or other people just look at me speechless.
Reply 114
English (native)
Japanese (atm it's so-so :/)
Italian-beginner (I'm trying to learn it by myself but we'll see how well it goes ^_^:wink:
English and Gujarati fluently.
A little bit of Spanish.
Reply 116
English - mother tongue
French - studying it at uni, I would love to say I'm fluent but I'd be lying. I understand it, but seem to have a mental block with communicating in it. :/
Afrikaans - I grew up in SA
Basic Ndebele (Zulu)
Basic Latin
Teaching myself Italian

Ah, I wish there were enough hours in the day to become fluent in all of the above without going crazy.
I'm fluent in English and can speak conversational German (with poor grammar). I also know some basics of French and Italian.
Reply 118
French speaker, think in French and it all gets mixed up as you said :/.
Reply 119
English (native) and Welsh (advanced). And a few phrases of French.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending