Scroll to see replies

hello there!
i've applied for MSc in Management~
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
Anyone here for MSc in Mechatronics Systems Engineering for fall 2012 at Lancaster University?
I have applied for a PhD in one of the management departments. I applied in February, references reached them by Feb end, skyped with my prospective guide in early March: all positive, but still nothing! Beginning to lose hope since this was my first and only application for 2012 entry. I am planning to make two more for 2013 entry at other places. Is this much waiting normal? The webpages promise a decision within four weeks or 20 working days, I am long past that waiting time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cryptic-clues
I have applied for a PhD in one of the management departments. I applied in February, references reached them by Feb end, skyped with my prospective guide in early March: all positive, but still nothing! Beginning to lose hope since this was my first and only application for 2012 entry. I am planning to make two more for 2013 entry at other places. Is this much waiting normal? The webpages promise a decision within four weeks or 20 working days, I am long past that waiting time.

Get on the phone.
Original post by sevendaughters
Get on the phone.

Well, maybe next week. When I had skyped with the prospective guide I had enquired about timelines and funding success rates. And he has promised to find out this week about the timelines. If he doesn't, I will!

Would it irritate them, though?
Reply 25
Original post by anitiayeh313
hello there!
i've applied for MSc in Management~

Me too but I decided to go to Warwick in the end.

Hope you'll get an offer :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Get on the phone.

I have been offered a place in the PhD programme in management studies. But no details on funding yet. Are offers always made with out any funding details. Wondering, when would they announce these?

Also, wondering how many studentships are on offer, after all? What am I competing against, do all students apply for funding?
I have been offered a place in the PhD programme in management studies. But no details on funding yet. Are offers always made with out any funding details. Wondering, when would they announce these?

Also, wondering how many studentships are on offer, after all? What am I competing against, do all students apply for funding?

Congratulations for one! My department sent a lot of information regarding funding when I enquired regarding the Ph.D without me even asking, there's been a spike in funding in that department and I guess they're just automatically giving that information.

However, I found this: http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/phd/PhDFunding/ - is it of help?
Well, not quite. Of course, I did troll through the webpages before making the application. I know all this!

I want to know if decisions on funding awards are given with offers? I know a number of English universities first ask for a confirmed place, before considering applications for funding. In my case, there is no separate application except that I had to write on my Statement that I should be consider for a certain award.

Also, have you heard on yours?

I asked at the department today and got told that there is a committee meeting later in the month in which these decisions will be made! So, I was wondering how fierce the competition is after all.

And thanks for the wishes. This was my first and only application for 2012 entry. Planning to make a few others for 2013 entry, just in case. But if I do hear on funding before that, Lancaster it is: first choice for the guide I have.

Congratulations for one! My department sent a lot of information regarding funding when I enquired regarding the Ph.D without me even asking, there's been a spike in funding in that department and I guess they're just automatically giving that information.

However, I found this: http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/phd/PhDFunding/ - is it of help?
Well, not quite. Of course, I did troll through the webpages before making the application. I know all this!

I want to know if decisions on funding awards are given with offers? I know a number of English universities first ask for a confirmed place, before considering applications for funding. In my case, there is no separate application except that I had to write on my Statement that I should be consider for a certain award.

Also, have you heard on yours?

I asked at the department today and got told that there is a committee meeting later in the month in which these decisions will be made! So, I was wondering how fierce the competition is after all.

And thanks for the wishes. This was my first and only application for 2012 entry. Planning to make a few others for 2013 entry, just in case. But if I do hear on funding before that, Lancaster it is: first choice for the guide I have.

I think some places come with funding attached, so acceptance equates to funding. Some, there's the extra hoop to jump though - so I had to write an extra application that was harder than the actual application for the place on the course. I have accepted my offer but I shall have to decline if funding is unsuccessful. Not heard yet, 2/3 weeks I reckon.
OK. I guess that is too much speculation to draw any significant meaning from, after all one does not know which one is which. All I know is my guide who heads the department, is a full chair and had promised to push for funding for me!

I will wait until the end of April to hear from them.

Best wishes for yours!
Reply 31
MA Gender Studies anyone?
Reply 32
All confirmed onto Highwire MRes/PhD programme starting Oct '12.

Not sure where to live yet but as whole family moving up it will be off campus and probably somewhere rural.

Much looking forward to it.
Original post by barneyc
All confirmed onto Highwire MRes/PhD programme starting Oct '12.

Not sure where to live yet but as whole family moving up it will be off campus and probably somewhere rural.

Much looking forward to it.

Congratulations.

Would you care to share to what school/department did you to apply to?

Did you hear on your funding application sometime recently?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
@cryptic-clues Highwire is a multi-disciplinary unit (Comp Sci, Management & Design). It's funded through EPSRC.

Acceptance onto Highwire comes with funding approval thrown in :smile:
Waiting on funding news is driving me loco.
Waiting on funding news is driving me loco.

I am in a similar situation. I made only one application for 2012 for PhD. And I cannot afford to attend the programme without a funding assurance. And because I work from home as an independent consultant, people write to me asking me if I would like to work with them in the coming year.

I am in such a pickle, because if funding does come through then I don't need the contracting any longer (which would be a relief because I have lived so much out of a suitcase for the last 5 years that I detest it, last year I flew 112 flights in 365 days).

But if it doesn't: then I will go through the grind of visiting people writing reports and critiquing them in my writing! Which is alright, but I was looking for a move on, both intellectually and professionally. And then applying to 3 more places that I have listed for 2013 entry.
(edited 11 years ago)
I am in a similar situation. I made only one application for 2012 for PhD. And I cannot afford to attend the programme without a funding assurance. And because I work from home as an independent consultant, people write to me asking me if I would like to work with them in the coming year.

I am in such a pickle, because if funding does come through then I don't need the contracting any longer (which would be a relief because I have lived so much out of a suitcase for the last 5 years that I detest it, last year I flew 112 flights in 365 days).

But if it doesn't: then I will go through the grind of visiting people writing reports and critiquing them in my writing! Which is alright, but I was looking for a move on, both intellectually and professionally. And then applying to 3 more places that I have listed for 2013 entry.

And the hardest part is I know when the decisions on funding will be taken, and I cannot even present my case any further except for sitting and twiddling thumbs: so its literally counting down to the hour! And then waiting a little more!

My situation is similar. Perhaps I shouldn't have placed all of my eggs in one fragile basket.
According to the funding stream website I should have heard by today. Meh.
Reply 39
I realise this thread is a little old, but hopefully it finds a few other people who have signed up for postgraduate courses at Lancaster.

I'm doing my MRes in International Relations there, starting this October :smile: I'm a graduated from Lancaster too in 2010, so if anyone needs any advice, feel free to ask.

I was hoping to find a FB group full of postgrad events and stuff, but not really found anything so far, so decided to come here and see if I could find anyone :biggrin:

Quick Reply