The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I am considering buying the fx-CG20. Before I get i just wanted to make sure it isn't banned. So is it banned?
Reply 101
Original post by manavch
I am considering buying the fx-CG20. Before I get i just wanted to make sure it isn't banned. So is it banned?

No. Considered a TI-nspire CX though? :wink: (one happy owner, right here)
Reply 102
My calculator can solve quadratic equation, it even can solve polynomic equation as well. Is it allowed?
Reply 103
Original post by Rtcw
My calculator can solve quadratic equation, it even can solve polynomic equation as well. Is it allowed?

Yes, unless it can solve them algebraically.

I said this once, I'll say it again: anything is fine, other than algebraic manipulation and retrievable stored documents (Casio Prizm and TI nSpire support this, but it can be disabled in test mode).

How do I know if my integration is algebraic?

I assume you know algebraic means "in terms of letters that represent numbers, or more algebra" - so algebraic integration (and differentiation, etc.) is simply integrating for x, but in terms of other letters y, z.

ie. f'(x) = yx^2 - y^-1/3 + 6^y - 7.

If your calculator can find f(x) (or f''(x)) for this, then it is not allowed. Beacause it is integrating (or differentiating) for x, but containing y as a term or coefficient thereof.

Even more straight forward - if there's two letters (or more) involved, no calc. (Unless of course one is what the equation is equal to, such as y = x^-1 would be fine, you can integrate y dx as long as y is specified elsewhere as equal to something in terms of x only).
Reply 104
Original post by FO12DY
Yes, unless it can solve them algebraically.

Not sure about this, here's link for my calculator.
Reply 105
No, it can't. So it's fine.
fx-9860G II ok? considering getting it , apparently il need it for fp2.
Reply 107
Yeah, fine. See above.
Personally, I think exam boards are being way too generous. If I controlled the ban list, I would ban every calculator that can differentiate/integrate/do limits/log equations/any sort of equation solving. They might as well let us use WolframAlpha.
Reply 109
Original post by ben1996123
Personally, I think exam boards are being way too generous. If I controlled the ban list, I would ban every calculator that can differentiate/integrate/do limits/log equations/any sort of equation solving. They might as well let us use WolframAlpha.

So should employers do the same thing?

No equipment in the workplace that is in any way helpful?
Reply 110
is the TI-89 banned for AQA maths and also does anyone have a ban list. Also do you think anyone will notice if i take it into the exam. pretty sure the ti-89 is uncommon here in the UK
Original post by FO12DY
I find it quite funny that certain models are banned due to the ability for them to carry out certain functions; surely education should be considered training for professionalism - and what engineer (for example) would refuse a calculator on the basis that he might be able to do it in his head?

But the exam question might be worth say 4 marks. Maybe if I tap it in, get an answer, I'll get 1 mark.

Why does that make sense? In the real world, solutions matter - not each stage of getting to the solution (unless you're running back through because you made a mistake) - so why is education for he real world no based on practices that are practiced (hmm) in the real world?

I could go on and on - and the point of course extends well beyond the use of calculators, in all subjects education should follow the practice of industry: it may be expensive but it's damn worth it if we'd like to continue to be a nation with some of the most outstanding scientists, engineers, and academics.

The reason that simply writing out the answer gets you one mark out of, say, 4, is because the method of obtaining the answer is important. The maths exams should not only test your ability to get the correct answer, but they should also test your understanding of the methods. The reason we are a country with "some of the most outstanding scientists, engineers, and academics" is not because they can type a problem into a calculator and get an answer, but because they understand how the solution is reached, and can manipulate it to suit their purpose. For example, if no one knew the formula for nCr, and everyone simply used a calculator, the simplified formula for a (1 + x)^n expansion would have never been developed.

Anyway, I can't seem to get a definite answer from Edexcel on this: is the TI-nspire CX allowed in A-Level Maths/Further Maths? And would the CAS version be allowed if exam mode was enabled (or would I have to check with my Exams Officer).
Reply 112
Original post by Mr M
What makes you believe that? I have looked at the specification and it is fine.

do u know if the casio fx991es plus can be used for the edexcel exams?
Reply 113
Original post by QuantumQwerty
The reason that simply writing out the answer gets you one mark out of, say, 4, is because the method of obtaining the answer is important. The maths exams should not only test your ability to get the correct answer, but they should also test your understanding of the methods. The reason we are a country with "some of the most outstanding scientists, engineers, and academics" is not because they can type a problem into a calculator and get an answer, but because they understand how the solution is reached, and can manipulate it to suit their purpose. For example, if no one knew the formula for nCr, and everyone simply used a calculator, the simplified formula for a (1 + x)^n expansion would have never been developed.

Anyway, I can't seem to get a definite answer from Edexcel on this: is the TI-nspire CX allowed in A-Level Maths/Further Maths? And would the CAS version be allowed if exam mode was enabled (or would I have to check with my Exams Officer).

I understand that, and largely agree. I just think the whole system needs an overhaul. I don't like the fact that (subject irrespective) the best grades come from the people who do the most revision - and are not necessarily also in the set of 'the best'.

There are definitely ways of assessing, and even just types of problems, that look at how you approach it, can think about it, apply what you know, and even develop something new (or just new to you) - this sort of thing is harder to just revise for, and personally I think that's how it should be done. Who can revise the most means f all post education. It's stupid really.

As for the TI-nSpire CX, it is allowed - definitely by Edexcel and I assume other boards.

CAS isn't, but as you say, with PTT mode on, it should be. They just get hot and fidgety at the thought of that, and perhaps just don't quite understand.

I opted for the non-CAS for that reason, but if you spoke to your exam officers first, explained it, demonstrated what happens when you try to use an illegal function, you might find they say it's okay.
I bought a Casio Prizm CG20 earlier this year and on the box it says that it is allowed in A level exams, but doesn't specify which exam boards. I'm fairly sure that it can't do symbolic differentiation or integration, but i would like to just confirm that on here? Also if it does have retrievable storage then how do i enter the test mode or would the fact that it has such a feature entirely prevent it from being allowed in an exam? In June i am doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry AS exams and while i do not need the calculator to succeed, i would like to bring it in to use anyway. Finally, if it is allowed in the exam what should i do to make an invigilator aware that it has been put into a test mode or should i just let them reset it entirely with the reset button on the back?
Reply 115
is the casio fx911es plus allowed in the c2 and statistics exams as it can intergrate and diffrentiate ??:confused:
Reply 116
Original post by 56789
is the casio fx911es plus allowed in the c2 and statistics exams as it can intergrate and diffrentiate ??:confused:

I'm pretty sure it's ok, it cannot integrate and differentiate symbolically, only numerically, I just bought one so I hope it's ok :tongue:

They also do say only packaging "Ideal for A level" or something similar...

Would be so much easier if exam boards kept a list of say about 20 recommended calculators....
My sixth form never check, but I think they would notice the calculators where you can produce graphs (they are quite big). :tongue:
Reply 118
i have the latest casio, fx-991ES PLUS, and it's absolutely divine. solutions to quadratics, solving for x, integration, differentiation, sum of a geo/arithmetic series, it can even do vectors... i'm glad it's not banned, and if it is, i'm glad my college doesn't check :biggrin:
Reply 119
Original post by kenann
i have the latest casio, fx-991ES PLUS, and it's absolutely divine. solutions to quadratics, solving for x, integration, differentiation, sum of a geo/arithmetic series, it can even do vectors... i'm glad it's not banned, and if it is, i'm glad my college doesn't check :biggrin:

Got the same calculator, its really useful, and I'm pretty sure its not banned :smile: