The Student Room Group

Red 'power dress' or formal grey skirt suit for interview at Olswang (law firm)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I suggest stockings and suspenders underneath, then make sure they can see them when you're sat down.

Actually scrap that, why not do a Sharon Stone...
Reply 21
Original post by plimsolls
I suggest stockings and suspenders underneath, then make sure they can see them when you're sat down.

Actually scrap that, why not do a Sharon Stone...

You don't want to scare them.

On a side note, I've heard that some women just wearing stockings instead of tights on a daily / non-sexual basis--so let's not go making insinuations we can't take back, you know? Sluts are people too.
Reply 22
Olswang have only been ultra-cool for a couple of years. Prior to moving into Starbucks, although they had Hollywood clients, they weren't exactly happening themselves. They're really not as trendy as they make out - certainly not individually. Think about it. Diana Ross doesn't want her lawyer to be a diva, too.
Original post by Clip
Olswang have only been ultra-cool for a couple of years. Prior to moving into Starbucks, although they had Hollywood clients, they weren't exactly happening themselves. They're really not as trendy as they make out - certainly not individually. Think about it. Diana Ross doesn't want her lawyer to be a diva, too.

Got to love old-fashioned lawyers. One of my former supervisors asked me what a SMS was.
Original post by jacketpotato
Got to love old-fashioned lawyers. One of my former supervisors asked me what a SMS was.

I presume you replied that it was a warship of the Imperial German Navy. :smile:
Reply 25
I would say go for the red dress. I think it will make you stand out. I am tired of seeing female lawyers wearing the same "uniform": white shirt, black suit.

Just make sure that the colour is the only thing standing out! That means no plunging neckline, knee length, no striking jewellery (only watch and "maybe" a very delicate and simple pair of earrings) and only black accessories.

However, I have to say that some may think you are touch arrogant. I hope they are very few, but I have to admit there is such possibility.
Reply 26
Guys, it's nearly the day of the big interview. WHAT DID YOU CHOOSE?!
I wore yellow at DAC Beachcroft once :tongue:

But seeing as it is a proper interview...wear grey.
Reply 28
From a training partner: They still can’t get it right. Everyone is trying to think outside the box, but you should just wear a dark suit because as lawyers we are pretty conservative.
Reply 29
I can't help but think that wearing a red dress to interview, would come across the same as a guy wearing a black shirt and bright tie to interview (which I have seen).. Attention grabbing but looks crap in that environment.

I would like to also add that interviewees in 3 piece 'power' suits also look odd..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
I'd play safe just to make sure...

<3 x
Reply 31
Original post by richie123
From a training partner: They still can’t get it right. Everyone is trying to think outside the box, but you should just wear a dark suit because as lawyers we are pretty conservative.

Advice from a partner at Ward Hadaway--no, that's really valuable advice--probably worth as much as, say, a paralegal at Linklaters'.
Reply 32
Original post by Brevity
Advice from a partner at Ward Hadaway--no, that's really valuable advice--probably worth as much as, say, a paralegal at Linklaters'.

Doesn't invalidate the advice! Thinking an interviewee or trainee is a dick for wearing brash clothing is pretty universal.
Reply 33
WHlCH ONE DID YOU WEAR? THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending