The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography Unit 1 and 2 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just returned from a geography fieldtrip - helped with revision :biggrin:

Original post by mikess77
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be like? For like the last 3 exams I dont think you needed more than like 80ish for Full UMS ??? even though the paper is out of 120!

Seriously???
Yeah, boundaries are constantly low. In 2010, 45% of candidates got A* or A though so it's not like people are doing badly either.
Reply 22
Original post by herothing11
Yeah, boundaries are constantly low. In 2010, 45% of candidates got A* or A though so it's not like people are doing badly either.

Yayyyy :biggrin:
is anyone doing hot environments (deserts) ??
what case studies have you done? we seem to have done hardly any!
Reply 24
Original post by student555
is anyone doing hot environments (deserts) ??
What case studies have you done? We seem to have done hardly any!

sahel
sw usa
Reply 25
does anyone have the jan 2012 paper and mark scheme for GEOG1 aqa?
Reply 26
You don't need to know them but to get good higher marks, examples are always the best thing. For rejuvenation use places known for their large scale features. for example the Grand Canyon and it's incised meanders and stuff like that. For waterfalls, I have learnt about Niagara Falls but I only remember it from GCSE.
Reply 27
Is anyone doing the health topic? I'm not entirely sure what things I need to learn/revise for the exam?
Reply 28
does anyone know what the big 15 mark questions for population, rivers, energy and rivers were on the January 2012 paper, it would be useful to know because they are unlikely to come up in the summer again!!????
Reply 29
Original post by mk123
does anyone have the jan 2012 paper and mark scheme for GEOG1 aqa?

I need this too!!

Original post by niamh067
Is anyone doing the health topic? I'm not entirely sure what things I need to learn/revise for the exam?

I'm doing health :smile:
Reply 30
I'm taking AS geography after not doing GCSE and i'm finding Cold Environments so hard! Human Geography is relatively easy so thats fine, Rivers is fine, done so many past questions and got A's on all of them, but cold environments I get about 8/30?! I'm panicking so much! But luckily one of my teachers said that we can focus on three of the topic questions and try hard in them, then leave the one we are least confident about until then end and do it if we have time?

Also, do we need case studies for Rivers?
Reply 31
Original post by KatyPiee
I'm taking AS geography after not doing GCSE and i'm finding Cold Environments so hard! Human Geography is relatively easy so thats fine, Rivers is fine, done so many past questions and got A's on all of them, but cold environments I get about 8/30?! I'm panicking so much! But luckily one of my teachers said that we can focus on three of the topic questions and try hard in them, then leave the one we are least confident about until then end and do it if we have time?

Also, do we need case studies for Rivers?

Yes of course you need case studies for rivers.

Leaving the one you find hardest to the end and doing it if you have time isn't the best of ideas. You need a good score in each section in order to do well.

Why not work harder revising cold environments and trying to learn and understand it so you can do just as well in that topic?
Reply 32
Don't panic about cold environments. They are really tricky at first, but once you become more familiar with the concepts and new words, it gets a lot easier. The best thing is you only need two easy case studies for it - Antarctica and a tundra area (e.g oil in Alaska) which aren't hard to write about because the question is always about sustainability.

I find revising the human topics is much harder because everything is more vague and less clear-cut. It's also a lot more boring!

Is everyone just reading through the revision guide and case studies to revise? I don't think the text book is really necessary?
It is comforting how low the grade boundaries are. Aiming for 80 or just below, I think.
Reply 33
we dont need to know much about malthus or boserup do we? I cant imagine a question asking about their ideas for more than 3 marks
Original post by Axion
we dont need to know much about malthus or boserup do we? I cant imagine a question asking about their ideas for more than 3 marks

They could easily ask a 10-15 mark question asking you to describe and explain/compare and contrast all of the population and resource theories
Reply 35
Original post by Rainingshame
They could easily ask a 10-15 mark question asking you to describe and explain/compare and contrast all of the population and resource theories

And our teacher told us not to bother learning it... :work:
Reply 36

That will never happen. In fact its incredibly imprecise and poor for a population question.

No offense to you, but you cannot get 15 marks out of such a crap question that forms a tiny part of the syllabus with no case studies or backup material.
Original post by Axion
That will never happen. In fact its incredibly imprecise and poor for a population question.

No offense to you, but you cannot get 15 marks out of such a crap question that forms a tiny part of the syllabus with no case studies or backup material.

Oh do we not need to learn the case studies for it? :redface: As we were taught 2 case studies on Easter Island and the Mauritius. I'm just unsure if we've been taught too much, or it's actually necessary :tongue:
Original post by Axion

They did that for consequences of changing populations in one of the past papers, it's not to too far stretched.
Reply 39
They did that for consequences of changing populations in one of the past papers, it's not to too far stretched.

I saw that question but it is supposed to refer to changing ppulations and management. it was in the examiners report that a lot of people got confused.

And yeah, you don't need case studies for it - just the standard knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest