The Student Room Group

The TSR Musicians' Society

Scroll to see replies

I think my favourite is the sheng but it looks very complicated to play. I've found your flute on Wiki called hulusi in Yunnan. It looks very interesting. Is it hard to play?
Original post by Fingersmith
I think my favourite is the sheng but it looks very complicated to play. I've found your flute on Wiki called hulusi in Yunnan. It looks very interesting. Is it hard to play?

I learned hulusi by myself and its easy for freshers but the professional level is definitely harder.
Sheng has several categories. If the number of reeds is lower than 14 then self-study wont be a problem I guess. But same, its not easy to be professional.
I saw an older man playing a sheng in Covent Garden, London. I watched him for quite a while (and gave him a good tip). My interest in Chinese music comes from my wife who is Malaysian Chinese (I'm Irish and play lots of Irish flute and pipe music). We visited China in '07 and for me it was the most wonderful trip in a well traveled life.

When we were in Nanching, a local touring orchestra happened to be in town and put on a performance just for our tour group. It was stunning.

Which part are you from?
[QUOTE="Fingersmith;36971893"]I saw an older man playing a sheng in Covent Garden, London. I watched him for quite a while (and gave him a good tip). My interest in Chinese music comes from my wife who is Malaysian Chinese (I'm Irish and play lots of Irish flute and pipe music). We visited China in '07 and for me it was the most wonderful trip in a well traveled life.

When we were in Nanching, a local touring orchestra happened to be in town and put on a performance just for our tour group. It was stunning.

Which part are you from?[/QUOTE
Im from Beijing and glad to know you enjoy the trip:smile:
Emm...where is Nanching? I guess you mean Nanchang?
European spelling :biggrin: Do I mean Nanjing, the old southern capital? Beijing was also beautiful esp. the Summer Palace. The most haunting was Suzhou (sp) with its fabulous gardens and the ladies singing as they row their boats. I love it in 'Mission Impossible 3' when Tom Cruise starts in Shanghai and all of a sudden he's running up and down the canals of Suzhou.
Yeah there are so many great things here:smile:
I havent been to Suzhou before but I definitely will, I love Suzhou traditional garden..My favourate places are Tibet, Yunnan(There are so many cultural things) and Jiuzhaigou Valley.
Hiya!
I play the:
Piano: Grade 6, quit 6 years ago though haha
Oboe: my primary instrument, got my results back yesterday for my grade 8 and I got a distinction yeey!
Violin: Technically only have grade 2, but got to grade 5 standard before quitting again, quite 6 years ago.

I love my oboe. :love:
“An oboe is an ill-wind that nobody blows good.”
- Bennet Cerf ‘Laughing Stock’ 1952 :tongue:

I have one but I can't play it so I'm just jealous (I play sax and flute).
:wavey: I play saxophone (grade 6) and piano (grade 5).

I've also dabbled with the cello (grade 3).
I play the trumpet and cornet!

Stopped doing grades after Grade 5 a few years ago, don't find them to be much use if you're just playing an instrument as a hobby. Except for the UCAS points, which I don't need anyway.

Am in a brass band too :biggrin:
Awesome!

I play the piano (gr7), flute (gr7) and church organ (gr6), and I sing and conduct a little. I do love conducting and running choirs.
I play the kazoo. I love it, but I don't suppose it's quite as fancy as some of the rest.

:getmecoat:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DebatingGreg
I play the kazoo. I love it, but I don't suppose it's quite as fancy as some of the rest.

:getmecoat:

Done any grades?
Original post by 9 ElationAndPathways
Done any grades?

Ha, I've never heard of any kazoo grades, I must admit :biggrin: I suppose we're just too cool for grades :cool:

Some good fun music generally, but 56 seconds in there's a nice kazoo solo from Guido Basso here:

[video="youtube;zyFoJmwx27k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyFoJmwx27k[/video]
Hi
Is it hard to learn harmonica?
I'm a new member here! Flutist and saxophone player looking to do my performance diploma this summer :smile:
I think I've hit a bump in my musical life.

I used to practise piano for 2 hours straight every day, but after I did my Grade 8 I just slacked. I'd start to do 1 hour a day, and then even no hours some days, eventually, I'd go months without playing it.

It upsets me that I don't feel the same way about it as I did before. Maybe it's due to that fact that I haven't immersed myself in a piece yet, but either way I have trouble getting back into the swing of it.

Could anyone suggest anything that'd help? (other than play XD) And recommended pieces would be very nice :biggrin:
Reply 2077
Original post by Anythingoo1
I think I've hit a bump in my musical life.

I used to practise piano for 2 hours straight every day, but after I did my Grade 8 I just slacked. I'd start to do 1 hour a day, and then even no hours some days, eventually, I'd go months without playing it.

It upsets me that I don't feel the same way about it as I did before. Maybe it's due to that fact that I haven't immersed myself in a piece yet, but either way I have trouble getting back into the swing of it.

Could anyone suggest anything that'd help? (other than play XD) And recommended pieces would be very nice :biggrin:

Start taking classes, perhaps? I find that an enforced routine helps you re-kickstart when your struggling to stay disciplined after a hiatus. :dontknow:
I play guitar & piano - both self taught. I sing too :h:
i play piano, clarinet, sing and self-taught saxophone :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest