The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Stop talking rubbish.

What about Trash talk?
Break into her room and tip said maggoty contents on her bed.

Just ignore her existence and get on with it yourself.

Report to authority figure that may help.

Put maggots in her food (gloves optional).

Make everyone realise she's a dirty slob and make them turn against her.

Choose any you like, regardless of your choice there will be no easy, quick fixes and she'll no doubt hate you. Depends on how evil you're feeling at the time of use.

I'd probably opt for conversation, threats, acting on said threats and violence. Probably in that order.....
Original post by NB_ide
Presumably they pay the same rent and so have the same right to the house. If they want to leave a bag of rubbish there and cba to move it, they can. If I want to put it in the bin, I can. Everyone's happy.

Expecting housemates to clean up to your standards instead of their own is a recipe for disaster.

Hygiene standards are usually important. The maggots are a sure sign of an issue that needs resolving.
Reply 23
Original post by I<3LAMP
Hygiene standards are usually important. The maggots are a sure sign of an issue that needs resolving.

Clearly it doesn't bother her housemate.
Original post by NB_ide
Clearly it doesn't bother her housemate.

I think it matters whether it bothers the landlord, cleaner or whoever is in charge of the property.

If I had mice due to a lack of hygiene I'd have to pay a fine, and we received fines back at Uni for defacing the kitchen table and having bad hygiene-the bin was rank, mouldy cupboards and rank fridge during an inspection. It all depends on who cares enough about the property and whether it is worth reporting.

Also her housemate might just be disgusting. She can eff up her room but common areas must be respected-my opinion of course.
Reply 25
Original post by I<3LAMP
Also her housemate might just be disgusting. She can eff up her room but common areas must be respected-my opinion of course.

But to whose standards of cleanliness?
Original post by NB_ide
But to whose standards of cleanliness?

A common standard. Obviously that requires an agreement between OP and her hosuemate.

Unless they have some sort of agreement there will be no progress.
Obviously people have different standards of cleanliness but that should be disregarded when it comes to things that can affect YOUR health, not just the person who's being filthy. I don't care how messy other peoples rooms are but when it comes to a communal place that is rife with maggots/plates with mold/flies/etc it is completely unacceptable.

OP you definitely need to sort this flat mate of yours out, they're very immature to think that it's ok to live in their own mess and let other people run about cleaning up after them. They're not living at home with their parents anymore.
Reply 28
Original post by I<3LAMP
A common standard. Obviously that requires an agreement between OP and her hosuemate.

Unless they have some sort of agreement there will be no progress.

It's extremely hard to settle on such a thing because it's all so subjective. Even if you force each other into a rota with scheduled (rather than needs-based) cleaning, people will undertake their allocated task to their own standards, perceiving the job to be done while the cleaner housemate may consider it still "dirty".
Reply 29
Ugh, I know OP, I know. I can't be doing with all that passive aggressive crap, it really annoys the hell out of me.

Just tell her that her rubbish has been there for ages and she has to move it and get rid of the maggots. If she says no, just get the landlord involved. No fannying about, simple as.
Reply 30
Poo on her bed.
Reply 31
Original post by NB_ide
I'm afraid every single person has a different "tidying threshold" - how dirty something needs to be before they are moved to tidy it. Or how full a bin needs to be before they are moved to empty it, and so on.

Therefore, in any given household, ONE person will have the lowest threshold generally and so will end up doing pretty much all of the clearning. I've lived in two houses where I was the cleanest person and I did absolutely everything, without exception. That's ok - I never asked anyone else to do it because it's not my place to do so. They weren't my guests. They had as much right to the house as I did and if they didn't want to keep it as tidy as I wanted to keep it then that's ok. If I didn't feel like cleaning it I didn't have to, but I wanted to, for my own benefit, so I did.

In my current house there is a much cleaner person and so now I'm seen as the messy one. I think the bin has some space in it while she decides it's "full", and takes it out, so I basically never take the bin out. I think the sink doesn't need cleaning yet, while she does, so she cleans it.

See how it works? You can't get upset at people about it.

I am the cleanest person in my house, but there is no way I will always tidy up after people. If I get annoyed I either ask them outright if they could clean something or take the bin out etc, leave a note (if they are not in/around), or just leave it there until they clean it up and try to avoid the mess.

Why should one person have to wipe the others arses, so to speak? These people are 19/20/21, they should act like adults and not expect anyone to fill the 'parental role'.
Reply 32
Original post by Jaydiee
I am the cleanest person in my house, but there is no way I will always tidy up after people. If I get annoyed I either ask them outright if they could clean something or take the bin out etc, leave a note (if they are not in/around), or just leave it there until they clean it up and try to avoid the mess.

Why should one person have to wipe the others arses, so to speak? These people are 19/20/21, they should act like adults and not expect anyone to fill the 'parental role'.

No one has to clean up after them, as you say. But if you want something done in the house, imo it's your place to do it. It always seemed wrong to me to ask my housemates to work for me doing things they obviously don't want to do.

In theory they would have just as much right to demand that you stop cleaning because they want it dirtier, see?
Whilst she sleeps, walk into her room, remove your earrings, prepare yourself, jump ontop of her, stab her repeatedly, drag her corpse into the kitchen, put her in a binbag and throw her in the bin. That should teach her, I think.

No but seriously, if she messes with you, confront her. By that I mean, dip your hand in some poopoo and give her a dirty b*tchslap.
Original post by NB_ide
No one has to clean up after them, as you say. But if you want something done in the house, imo it's your place to do it. It always seemed wrong to me to ask my housemates to work for me doing things they obviously don't want to do.

In theory they would have just as much right to demand that you stop cleaning because they want it dirtier, see?

So in the OP's situation, you wouldn't do anything about it? You would just carry on taking the bin out for her?

That's unacceptable to me. They are living with other people, they should put everything aside to respect the rules of the flat and abide by them, regardless of what they may be used to doing. If they dirty stuff and they want to use the bin, they should take it out too. It's the same logic as living in a house but not paying rent. It's ridiculous.
Reply 35
Original post by HeavyTeddy
So in the OP's situation, you wouldn't do anything about it? You would just carry on taking the bin out for her?

I'd take the bin out for me.

That's unacceptable to me. They are living with other people, they should put everything aside to respect the rules of the flat and abide by them, regardless of what they may be used to doing.

There probably aren't any "rules" and if there are they'll be vague and subjective.

If they dirty stuff and they want to use the bin, they should take it out too. It's the same logic as living in a house but not paying rent. It's ridiculous.

If the OP didn't take the bin out, eventually her housemate would. The OP just always does it sooner, because she has a lower tolerance for full bins and rubbish around the house. If the OP left the house then maybe the dirty person would be the new clean person, and someone even dirtier would move in and then the roles would be reversed. Do you see what I'm getting at?
Reply 36
Original post by NB_ide

No. I don't understand your logic at all.
I don't believe anyone would want to live in their own filth.
If you want something doing in the house do it yourself? Why should you if you haven't created the mess in the first place.

The only reason your housemates didn't tidy up is because they knew you would do it for them. If you had left it then it would get to a point where they thought they should clear it up themselves.
I was eating while reading this, and then you put the thought of maggots in my head. OMG thanks OP :frown:
I made a note about the same thing yesterday in my house, only for someone to reply "how about we make a rota so that we know what needs doing and when"

Errr...

What: Bin emptying
When: When it's full - and I even explained that this was when the lid would no longer close.

What's so difficult to understand about that!? :confused:

And it's not that their level of full is different to mine - they recognise the fact that the bin is full and so put all their rubbish on the floor next to the bin rather than spending 2 seconds emptying it. Pisses me off.
Defiantly dump it outside her room.

Latest

Trending

Trending