The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling Firmers 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Chose Stirling as my firm offer a couple of weeks ago, going to be doing English Studies and Film & Media.

I'm excited! Four hours away from where I live so it's quite a way, but I think it'll be worth it. :3
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 41
Convinced my mum, firmed my offer and hoping to stay in either Geddes or Murray!
Original post by Rhonaa
Yeah, Stirling is quite flexible with changing subjects a bit, although I think you have to have decided before third year - especially with primary teaching, as you do less languages and more teaching modules for the primary course.

Emm, how do you mean in depth exactly? In your first 2 semesters (you'll hear semesters talked about at Stirling more than 'years'), you'll do a general education module, and either both languages (French and Spanish) or one language and another random module - whatever you like. I think then for Primary, you choose which language will be your specialty at the end of semester 2 (end of first year) and then in semesters 3 and 4, you do two education modules and one language modules. I'm pretty sure for primary you don't do ANY language after the Christmas of your third year. If you're really wanting to do in depth languages work, it might be worth looking at the secondary degree, because you do much more language work for that!

For both French and Spanish, you'll have about 3-4 hours a week - an oral class, a grammar class, a culture (literature/films etc) class and a culture lecture (these are sometimes fortnightly though). If you're doing beginners for either of them, you just have 3 seminar classes a week and you cover quite a lot in a short space of time. I did beginners Spanish and hated (still hate!) it! French has always been more my thing though. Some of the culture classes are really interesting, some of it is pretty dull, but on the whole I enjoyed most of it. Oral classes are a good laugh. Have you done Advanced Higher in either language? You'll find certainly in first year that a lot of the vocab/grammar that comes up you'll have covered in AH =)

I hope that helps a bit, if you have any more specific questions you know where I am!

It's just on the off chance teaching's not for me, I mean I really think it is but you never know!

That is what worried me most about this course, I'm scared I end up losing my language but I know you can take a year out in third so I was hoping to go over to France then. I do French and Spanish at the moment ( AH French, Int 1 Spanish hahaa!) but I doubt i'll keep the Spanish on for long, it hurts my brain! But that's great that I have the option of both I suppose:smile:

I sound quite similar to you where French is concerned.. Spanish is good but if it was some sort of intensive course I think I'd struggle. So are those class times the same for primary teaching as well cause that seems like a fairly decent amount! That's great to know, I'm AH French so I'd love a bit of revision... although i'm the worst language student ever when grammar is concerned, haha!

No, that's great, thank you :biggrin:
Original post by chameleon94
It is! Which language are you planning on choosing? :smile: Where else did you apply for if you don't mind me asking? I'm really excited as well now! Have you been to any of the applicant days?

French, it's always been French, I love the language.. You? :smile: No, not at all, I applied for the Bed at Edinburgh, MA Hons French at Edinburgh, Bed at Strathclyde, MA Hons French at Aberdeen(they changed the course as I'm sure you'll know) and Stirling :smile: How about yourself? I'm really looking forward to it, although I'm still scared about the whole thing. Yeah, I was at the first one, think it was some time in March? My memory is awful!
Reply 44
Original post by _KatieWhite
It's just on the off chance teaching's not for me, I mean I really think it is but you never know!

That is what worried me most about this course, I'm scared I end up losing my language but I know you can take a year out in third so I was hoping to go over to France then. I do French and Spanish at the moment ( AH French, Int 1 Spanish hahaa!) but I doubt i'll keep the Spanish on for long, it hurts my brain! But that's great that I have the option of both I suppose:smile:

I sound quite similar to you where French is concerned.. Spanish is good but if it was some sort of intensive course I think I'd struggle. So are those class times the same for primary teaching as well cause that seems like a fairly decent amount! That's great to know, I'm AH French so I'd love a bit of revision... although i'm the worst language student ever when grammar is concerned, haha!

No, that's great, thank you :biggrin:

You'll start doing microteaching/link practice and placements in second year, so you'll definitely know if teaching's for you in time to switch if it's not!

That's the exact same as what I did in 6th year - I really struggled with Spanish at uni, but to be fair I probably didn't put in as much work as I should have! Yep, primary and secondary do the same French modules together for the first 3 years, you'll be mixed in with secondary teachers and folk who're just doing straight French.

Don't worry they cover loads of grammar in first year and give you lots of practice exercises to get you up to scratch!

Good luck! =) You'll love Stirling, it's such a nice place to study and everyone is really friendly!
Is anyone else doing sports studies at Stirling? Firmed that last week :biggrin:
And staying in Murray hall I think, no idea if there's any difference between there and Geddes?
Reply 46
I'm so excited!!
Is there anyone else who's in the same boat as me - won't know a single other person at stirling? :smile:
Yep, right here! :smile:

But I think it's safe to say that most of us are in the same boat as you... what with moving away from home etc :wink:
Reply 48
Original post by rachiesy
I'm so excited!!
Is there anyone else who's in the same boat as me - won't know a single other person at stirling? :smile:

Definitely in the same boat. I'm four hours away from home and no one I know is going anywhere close to Scotland, never mind only Stirling. ^.^
Reply 49
I only know one person and he'll be a third year by then so doesnt really count haha. Ive got my SAAS funding submitted today so september is getting nearer!
Reply 50
I've accepted my place for Adult Nursing, is there anyone else doing that? :smile:
Reply 51
I've accepted a place for Professional Education with Biology :smile: I'm going to be staying in a flat in Stirling as I'm 21 now, feel I'll maybe not handle the rowdy halls lol.
Reply 52
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know anyone!! :smile:
I'm sure when we actually get to the Uni we'll make friends and meet people easily - there'll be so many people in the same boat!! I'm doing mental health nursing!!
Reply 53
Original post by gaiaxsempre
Yeahhhh buddy! Just firmed BA in psychology, you???, and the only friend i have in scotland lives in edinbourgh. Dont worry i started uni last year and i knew a guy from my school, but he was the person i liked least in our year so it ddnt help knowing him. :tongue: and you meet so many ppl its impossible not to make friends! Xx

Hey, I'm also doing BA Psychology! :biggrin: What do you think you're going take alongside it?
I'm doing BSc psychology! :smile:

Is there a list of the subjects we can choose from? On the psychology page it says we'll do two other objects in our first year but I can't find any more information besides that... help?
Original post by rachiesy
Apparently all the nurses stay in the same place? Is this true, and where do we stay??!!

I'm also starting nursing in Sept! Although, currently living in SA means my Dad is sorting a lot of accom things out, he said Alexander Court is where nurses are offered a spot because of the 39 week let rather than 38 :smile: x
Reply 56
Hi Helen!! What branch of nursing are you doing?
I thought we would only have 7 weeks hol, which would mean we would need 45 weeks accommodation? Do you happen to know what would happen for the other 7 weeks where we're not in Alexander Court? :smile:
Have you had your OT health check etc yet? Do they give you the jags on the day?!
I really have no idea, I think we only get 7wks at summer then the usual christmas and easter breaks :smile:
I haven't as I'm still in South Africa, my mum has filled in the form for me and I had all the injections to come here anyhow :smile: I'm either going to have to do the medical when I'm home in August or get one of the docs at the hospital I work at here to do one and fax it over....still waiting on a response :frown:
Original post by Rhonaa
You'll start doing microteaching/link practice and placements in second year, so you'll definitely know if teaching's for you in time to switch if it's not!

That's the exact same as what I did in 6th year - I really struggled with Spanish at uni, but to be fair I probably didn't put in as much work as I should have! Yep, primary and secondary do the same French modules together for the first 3 years, you'll be mixed in with secondary teachers and folk who're just doing straight French.

Don't worry they cover loads of grammar in first year and give you lots of practice exercises to get you up to scratch!

Good luck! =) You'll love Stirling, it's such a nice place to study and everyone is really friendly!

Yaaay, that actually sounds exciting.. I really hope it is for me!

I've a feeling the same may happen to me but fingers crossed it doesn't/ I suppose if you don't like something you put way kess effort into it anyway! Aww that sounds great, I'm really looking forward to the French part of the course :smile:

That sounds gruelling but has to be done i suppose..

Aww thank you, I'm getting really excited about it!
Original post by chameleon94
Haha, well you definately know what you're doing then! Well I've done French at school and never done Spanish before but I think it might be quite fun to do Spanish so I'm not sure yet.
Yeah, I heard they changed the course, I didn't apply for it in the end but it must have been quite annoying. Was Stirling your first choice or were you waiting until you'd been given your offers before deciding? :smile:
I applied to UWS, Glasgow (Dumfries Campus), Dundee and Stirling - all for Primary Education :smile:
I'm pretty scared about it all as well but looking forward to getting back into a sort of routine and just getting back into things really since I've been on a gap year this year.
Aw, I haven't been able to go to any of them but I went to the one back in September before I sent off my application and I already knew I definately wanted to go to Stirling so I don't mind! Was it a good day and did they tell you lots about the course and the like? :smile:

For now anyway, haha! I picked it up this year, it's pretty good, except i keep trying to say things in a French accent!

It was a little frustrating but it's worked out fine in the end:smile: Originally French at Edinburgh was my top choice but it just wouldn't have made sense to choose that over the course at Stirling so common sense prevailed, eventually. Aww sounds fab, have you always wanted to be a primary teacher?

I was gonna say I've sort of lost my routine but seems like you'll have totally lost yours. It'll be good to get back into the way of studying things, as weird as that sounds, I've kind of lost it in sixth year! What've you been doing on your gap year? :smile:

The applicant days were similar to the open days, but the Primary Ed lunch was good. We got to do a little workshop in languages, get to know a little more about the course. I wouldn't say you've hugely missed out though, most of it was stuff we already knew:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending