The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
For those considering Social Science at U of T, I have a rather popular thread on the Canadian equivalent of this forum: http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=10444

It might be a good thing to romp through if you're looking for more information.
Reply 281
Original post by Part A
Goldman Sachs recruit at Ivey?! that's mad - I heard it was a good business school but didn't think they targeted there.

Would you say Ivey is the best b school to go to in Canada for undergrad?

I know for a fact that they do. In Canada, Ivey is considered the best b school if you are doing finance. Schulich is for accounting. 40% of Ivey grads go into IB. It is only 8% for Schulich. On Bay Street in Toronto, Ivey has its own alumni lounge. There are a lot of Ivey grads who work in Toronto's financial district. Going to the U.S is very hard, even if you go to Ivey. Only the top performers at Ivey go to the U.S. Overall though, in Canada, Ivey grads have the highest starting salary for any business school in Canada.
Reply 282
Original post by ukmed108
I know for a fact that they do. In Canada, Ivey is considered the best b school if you are doing finance. Schulich is for accounting. 40% of Ivey grads go into IB. It is only 8% for Schulich. On Bay Street in Toronto, Ivey has its own alumni lounge. There are a lot of Ivey grads who work in Toronto's financial district. Going to the U.S is very hard, even if you go to Ivey. Only the top performers at Ivey go to the U.S. Overall though, in Canada, Ivey grads have the highest starting salary for any business school in Canada.

Cool. I want to apply there (from the UK) but I don't think I'd be able to get a permenant visa and Ivey has no rep in the UK (nobody has heard of it :P) so I'm worried if I came back, it wouldn't be great for career prospects. Will do some more research though.
Hey Guys,

I applied to UoT for the Track One course and recently, got admitted. I also have offers from UCL for BSc. Computing and Imperial for BEng Computing. I would want to work in the US after my course. What would be a better choice?
Reply 284
Got a reply from one of my apps for major in maths and it says "refused - academic requirements not met"... I'm not exactly bothered because my first choice is Newcastle anyway! :tongue: but is that the generic reply you get if you don't get accepted? Because technically if did meet the minimum grades - I got AAC at AS and was predicted AAA at A2 and the minimum requirements were BBC... so even if you've met the minimum but they reject you do they just put "academic requirements not met" as the reason, usually?
Thanks!
Reply 285
Original post by whocareswhatpplsay
Hey Guys,

I applied to UoT for the Track One course and recently, got admitted. I also have offers from UCL for BSc. Computing and Imperial for BEng Computing. I would want to work in the US after my course. What would be a better choice?

Honestly, all three are fine choices to me. Acceptance requirements wise, UCL and Imperial are much harder to get into than UofT. Many UofT science courses usually require only a 81-86% to get accepted or around IB 31-34. Social sciences and arts are even lower with some programs accepting 78-80% or around IB 28-30. The most competitive programs at UofT are the Business and Engineering programs. Business generally requires a 85-88% or around IB 33-35. Engineering Sciences requires 90% or around IB 36. I'm sure that UCL and Imperial have much higher standards. However, things are a bit different at UofT. UofT prides itself in its dropout rate like many other Canadian schools and unlike UK or US schools. Getting into university is not as hard as it is in other countries we only have good programs not good universities. Our most selective universities (Queen's, McGill) are just as selective as St. Andrews or schools around there. about 1/3rd of 1st year students drop out or switch programs at UofT mostly due to the rigour of the curriculum. So getting into UofT is a whole different story than graduating. I guess the idea is that they give you a second chance if you spent high school partying and got poor grades. Honestly, if you want to go to the U.S in the future, I would pick an American school. Americans generally know very little about other countries and their universities. They will understand schools like UCLA, UC Berkeley, Ivy League and Liberal arts schools. Landing your first job wise, I think a degree from Imperial, UCL or UofT will all be around the same. This is because Canada and the U.S are culturally very similar which may help convince them to hire you while they will probably know that UCL and Imperial have a much better reputation.

Also a word of caution: UofT is largely a commuter school (meaning people live at home and commute to school) and it has a huge student population. Your classes will be in the 600-1100 range in 1st year and in the hundreds in 2nd. Only in your 3rd and 4th will class sizes drop to a smaller size. In most Canadian high school student's opinion, UofT is really just a diploma mill. They accept huge numbers of students, cut a bunch of them out and graduate a bunch of robots (no offense). You may have looked at UofT's global university ranking which is very high (usually between 15-24). However, those rankings say much about its research and its graduate schools (i.e business, medicine, law) which are world class but nothing about its undergraduate program (which honestly is not very impressive). Not having been to Imperial or UCL I cannot compare the "student life" aspect of things but what I can say is that UofT has a very low student satisfaction rate (one of the lowest in Canada) at around 30% of students who are very satisfied during 1st year and around the same during 4th year.
Reply 286
Original post by loz876
Got a reply from one of my apps for major in maths and it says "refused - academic requirements not met"... I'm not exactly bothered because my first choice is Newcastle anyway! :tongue: but is that the generic reply you get if you don't get accepted? Because technically if did meet the minimum grades - I got AAC at AS and was predicted AAA at A2 and the minimum requirements were BBC... so even if you've met the minimum but they reject you do they just put "academic requirements not met" as the reason, usually?
Thanks!

The minimum acceptance requirements are usually lowball estimates. Generally, they are usually a couple percentage points higher. So if they said minimum 75% they are looking around around 78-80%. If they say minimum 90% they are probably looking for 93%+. The reasoning might also be due to some other reason like if you did not submit a required test/grades. I would contact the university itself to find out the reason why you were rejected if you want to know.
Original post by whocareswhatpplsay
Hey Guys,

That's a tough one.. In my opinion it comes down to Imperial vs. U of T, and normally I would recommend Imperial but the fact that you say you want to work in the US after makes the decision very difficult.

Let me just say that I agree with what ukmed108 has said, especially the 2nd paragraph. I did my BEng at McGill and applied for a Master's at U of T, UCL and Imperial last year. I got accepted at all 3 and in the end I chose Imperial because of everything I had heard about U of T. I know a few people who went there for undergrad and also a couple of people who went there for grad school after McGill and they all said pretty much what has already been said in this forum 100 times, i.e. U of T is a factory where you just go to study a few hours a day and nothing else, then you come back home and go back to whatever else you were doing.. It's just TOO big, you feel like 1 in a million among so many other clueless people, there's no cohesion whatsoever, no school spirit, the social life inside the university is mediocre.. I especially heard that from people who attended McGill before and said how it's completely different to the campus life we used to have, with great sports and social events, awesome residence life, and just a great overall feeling about the campus...

Imperial is pretty good. Personally, I preferred the campus life at McGill but I don't think it's bad at all over here. There's lots of clubs and various events going on all the time and being in London there's always stuff to do. I think for computing it would be a better choice than UCL.

But going back to the career prospects, honestly not a lot of people in the US know about Imperial, apart from academics and maybe researchers. So if you're looking to go in the private sector, U of T would be much more known in the US. That's why I think this decision is very tough: is it worth going to U of T even though you know you won't have as good a time as Imperial or UCL?..
Reply 288
Original post by ukmed108
The minimum acceptance requirements are usually lowball estimates. Generally, they are usually a couple percentage points higher. So if they said minimum 75% they are looking around around 78-80%. If they say minimum 90% they are probably looking for 93%+. The reasoning might also be due to some other reason like if you did not submit a required test/grades. I would contact the university itself to find out the reason why you were rejected if you want to know.

Thanks :smile: I knew that I needed higher grades than the minimum it just threw me when it said "did not meet minimum requirements", I didn't know if that was just a typical response! If it had just said "refused" I wouldn't have been so confused! And I submitted everything well before the deadline - in November in fact! Ahh well :smile:
Reply 289
Hey guys, I am back and considering McGill again. I just feel that I couldn't see myself at Bath. Montreal sounds a lot more exciting. Now I need your help deciding what courses are best at McGill. I can do either BA(hons) Mathematics and Economics or BA(hons) Economics and Finance. I would like to work in Investment Banking and so will perhaps come back to the UK to complete my Masters or US depending where I get in. Which degree will be a better bet? Thanks guys!
Reply 290
Original post by Yash13
Hey guys, I am back and considering McGill again. I just feel that I couldn't see myself at Bath. Montreal sounds a lot more exciting. Now I need your help deciding what courses are best at McGill. I can do either BA(hons) Mathematics and Economics or BA(hons) Economics and Finance. I would like to work in Investment Banking and so will perhaps come back to the UK to complete my Masters or US depending where I get in. Which degree will be a better bet? Thanks guys!

As your interested in Economics, I'm suprised you didnt try for UBC. For what it's worth I was in your position except that I had to choose between McGill and UBC. I've realized by looking at different rankings that it doesn't matter much. Some world rankings put McGill ahead of UBC/U of T and some put McGill lower. These 3 are quite interchangeable except for Medicine where McGill gets most of its prestige from. Almost everyone I consulted though did agree that department wise UBC's economics is better/more renown.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 291
Original post by Azland
As your interested in Economics, I'm suprised you didnt try for UBC. For what it's worth I was in your position except that I had to choose between McGill and UBC. I've realized by looking at different rankings that it doesn't matter much. Some world rankings put McGill ahead of UBC/U of T and some put McGill lower. These 3 are quite interchangeable except for Medicine where McGill gets most of its prestige from. Almost everyone I consulted though did agree that department wise UBC's economics is better/more renown.

I didn't apply due to the area, the fees and my lack of knowledge of Canadian universities at the time. I missed the deadline and so I have only McGill now. I have heard that UBC > McGill for Economics but other disciplines such as Mathematics I think McGill is better. I doubt there is a huge difference if I do a joint honours. I am just wondering whether Mathematics and Economics from McGill will be good enough for a job in finance or a masters program at a top University in the UK or US. I love the sound of Montreal thus I would like to make things work there. What do you think?
Reply 292
Original post by Yash13
I didn't apply due to the area, the fees and my lack of knowledge of Canadian universities at the time. I missed the deadline and so I have only McGill now. I have heard that UBC > McGill for Economics but other disciplines such as Mathematics I think McGill is better. I doubt there is a huge difference if I do a joint honours. I am just wondering whether Mathematics and Economics from McGill will be good enough for a job in finance or a masters program at a top University in the UK or US. I love the sound of Montreal thus I would like to make things work there. What do you think?

I would assume that the area would be more of a plus point rather than a negative? Vancouver is beautiful, It's on par with Montreal to say the least. Also there's no french so I'm not sure if you prefer that or not. To be honest I've never really heard much about the Math's from either university. I can only assume they are equally as good since people dont compare it between the two. Anyway for McGill, people in finance do recruit from what I hear but mostly from the management faculty. I personally dont know how hard it would be for a pure economics student or math + eco in your case to get recruited. Maybe if your fluent in French, work experience in Montreal might be easier to come by.

Anyway, where you go doesn't matter for post grad admissions as long as its from a reputable university ( Top 10 or 20 in the specific country ). You should check out how easy it is to get a high GPA though. I've heard McGill and Toronto have alot of grade deflation. Anyway if it helps at all, someone I know majored in Math at UBC and got offers from Stanford and MIT for postgrad. I would assume McGill students would have similiar chances but the GPA and grade deflation is another matter.

What are your other options anyway?
Reply 293
Original post by Azland
I would assume that the area would be more of a plus point rather than a negative? Vancouver is beautiful, It's on par with Montreal to say the least. Also there's no french so I'm not sure if you prefer that or not. To be honest I've never really heard much about the Math's from either university. I can only assume they are equally as good since people dont compare it between the two. Anyway for McGill, people in finance do recruit from what I hear but mostly from the management faculty. I personally dont know how hard it would be for a pure economics student or math + eco in your case to get recruited. Maybe if your fluent in French, work experience in Montreal might be easier to come by.

Anyway, where you go doesn't matter for post grad admissions as long as its from a reputable university ( Top 10 or 20 in the specific country ). You should check out how easy it is to get a high GPA though. I've heard McGill and Toronto have alot of grade deflation. Anyway if it helps at all, someone I know majored in Math at UBC and got offers from Stanford and MIT for postgrad. I would assume McGill students would have similiar chances but the GPA and grade deflation is another matter.

What are your other options anyway?

Damn, probably should have applied then but I still don't think it will hold me back too much. The Economics and Finance BA is offered by both the Economics and Management Faculty so I will be involved in events for both departments. I can't speak a word of french :frown: I pick up languages quickly though.

Is it? Thats good then. I have heard there are high drop out rates in the first semester for McGill Honours Programs but then those that survive usually get 3.5+ GPA from what I have researched. Wow thats amazing! I think UBC and McGill are similar for Mathematics so I may have chances of doing something similar if I was to get the grades. What's this grade deflation all about? :L

I have Bath, Exeter for Economics in the UK. International Economics and Business Economics at Erasmus University Rotterdam and McGill Arts. Bath is boring, Exeter is lowly ranked, Rotterdam course isn't what I would like. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 294
Original post by Yash13
Damn, probably should have applied then but I still don't think it will hold me back too much. The Economics and Finance BA is offered by both the Economics and Management Faculty so I will be involved in events for both departments. I can't speak a word of french :frown: I pick up languages quickly though.

Is it? Thats good then. I have heard there are high drop out rates in the first semester for McGill Honours Programs but then those that survive usually get 3.5+ GPA from what I have researched. Wow thats amazing! I think UBC and McGill are similar for Mathematics so I may have chances of doing something similar if I was to get the grades. What's this grade deflation all about? :L

I have Bath, Exeter for Economics in the UK. International Economics and Business Economics at Erasmus University Rotterdam and McGill Arts. Bath is boring, Exeter is lowly ranked, Rotterdam course isn't what I would like. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Boring for Bath seems quite vague but ok, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I havent heard about Rotterdam, think its in the Netherlands if I'm not mistaken?

The general feeling is that grades are harder to come by in McGill and U of T. I remember someone in the Management faculty telling me that the current curve is a B. Yeah, the drop out rate seems to be high. I dont know what that shows though to be honest. Could just mean that its a way of flushing out the best from the herd. Then again, people at McGill are already generally thought to be quite smart to get admitted so it does seem a bit worrying. The drop out rate at UBC is also quite high, but I'm looking forward to that tbh. Seems quite pointless if 500-1k students are able to reach the highest level of a course without any difficulty.

I personally am planning to take something Finance related as a post grad after doing straight economics at under grad. Opens quite alot of more doors for some courses which require a high level of previous economic knowledge. I would suggest if at all, you take pure economics or the Math+Econ.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 295
Original post by Azland
Boring for Bath seems quite vague but ok, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I havent heard about Rotterdam, think its in the Netherlands if I'm not mistaken?

The general feeling is that grades are harder to come by in McGill and U of T. I remember someone in the Management faculty telling me that the current curve is a B. Yeah, the drop out rate seems to be high. I dont know what that shows though to be honest. Could just mean that its a way of flushing out the best from the herd. Then again, people at McGill are already generally thought to be quite smart to get admitted so it does seem a bit worrying. The drop out rate at UBC is also quite high, but I'm looking forward to that tbh. Seems quite pointless if 500-1k students are able to reach the highest level of a course without any difficulty.

I personally am planning to take something Finance related as a post grad after doing straight economics at under grad. Opens quite alot of more doors for some courses which require a high level of previous economic knowledge. I would suggest if at all, you take pure economics or the Math+Econ.

Bath has a placement year at Investment Banks, which is a good opportunity I suppose. It does not mean those individuals get jobs there.

I have heard about this too. I think I remember someone saying getting into Canadian Universities is easier than other countries but surviving is much harder. I think for Economics the candidates that drop out are weak at Mathematics. I hope I can cope especially if I wish to do Maths + Eco. Eco + Finance might be a bit more interesting.

I was quite impressed with this: http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/print/3878

Same here, I would like to do a Masters in Finance. I think a Mathematics and Economics degree would help me to achieved this but getting the required GPA may be hard. Where are you going and for what?
Reply 296
Original post by Yash13
Bath has a placement year at Investment Banks, which is a good opportunity I suppose. It does not mean those individuals get jobs there.

I have heard about this too. I think I remember someone saying getting into Canadian Universities is easier than other countries but surviving is much harder. I think for Economics the candidates that drop out are weak at Mathematics. I hope I can cope especially if I wish to do Maths + Eco. Eco + Finance might be a bit more interesting.

I was quite impressed with this: http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/print/3878

Same here, I would like to do a Masters in Finance. I think a Mathematics and Economics degree would help me to achieved this but getting the required GPA may be hard. Where are you going and for what?

Majority of the people in that statistic are from the The Honors in Investment Management program . It does involve very little economics but opens quite alot of doors in terms of work experience and perhaps placements. They have several majors like Accounting, International business etc which seem to get more career options. Well currently I'm planning on going to UBC for the honours economics program. They dont have GPA there - something like a percentage based score with 91-100% being the highest level like an A* in A Levels. The person I know graduated UBC Math with 89% which is the second highest grade I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 297
I was wondering if someone could help.. I'm currently in my AS year and I'm considering going to Canada for Uni (I'm a Canadian Perm resident) - I want to do a Political Science undergrad degree but I'm not sure what grade requirements UofT or Mcgill normally ask for? I've got mixed answers from a number of people. Some people have told me that their normal requirements are based around BBB, but on the other hand, others have told me they require around AAB/A. Any idea? Thank you in advance for the help..
I will be entering U1 at McGill for the Bcom this Fall, and as a result I have to declare my major.
I was leaning towards an Hounours in Economics as I'm quite interested by investment banking, but I wonder if this program may get you to study abroad, the Management faculty has a few interesting study abroad opportunities but it is for Management students, and the Econ program isn't what you call Management really.

I was thinking maybe the major in International Business could be interesting, but I'm quite put off by the Desautels faculty reputation and so that's why the Honours in Econ is my first choice.

As a management student, what do you think offers the best job prospects? Thanks for helping me out.
Reply 299
Original post by Dettz
I was wondering if someone could help.. I'm currently in my AS year and I'm considering going to Canada for Uni (I'm a Canadian Perm resident) - I want to do a Political Science undergrad degree but I'm not sure what grade requirements UofT or Mcgill normally ask for? I've got mixed answers from a number of people. Some people have told me that their normal requirements are based around BBB, but on the other hand, others have told me they require around AAB/A. Any idea? Thank you in advance for the help..

For McGill you would have to apply to the faculty of arts for political science. Their minimum A Level requirements are AAB. McGill is excellent for political science I have a friend who will be doing Economics and Political Science honours and I may also take some electives in it if I wish to do so.

Not sure about Toronto but I would say go for McGill because I'm biased :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest