The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

from Computing to Maths

Hi! I am a first-year student at Imperial, Dep of Computing, and I want to switch to Mathematics. Is it possible?
Reply 1
Original post by mroriginality
Hi! I am a first-year student at Imperial, Dep of Computing, and I want to switch to Mathematics. Is it possible?

As far as I am aware this is possible in some cases, but they will advise you against it.
Also it will probably be easier to switch to JMC as the course is now directed by DOC, so transferring you would be an internal affair.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Hi sorry bit off topic but I've applied for computing at Imperial and I've never done any programming stuff before so I don't really know if I actually want to study computing (I've applied because I thought it would be quite useful lol). What should I do ... ? :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by Superglue25
Hi sorry bit off topic but I've applied for computing at Imperial and I've never done any programming stuff before so I don't really know if I actually want to study computing (I've applied because I thought it would be quite useful lol). What should I do ... ? :confused:

Go on these sites:
http://tryhaskell.org/
http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

Play around with them. If you enjoy those kinds of exercises you'll enjoy Computing (At least parts of it)
Reply 4
Cool thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 5
I did the computing course at Imperial. I am not saying you should not do it, I think it is a good course... but I don't think that if you enjoy Haskell exercises and Codeacademy, it means you are going to enjoy the course...
Reply 6
Original post by adammarek
I did the computing course at Imperial. I am not saying you should not do it, I think it is a good course... but I don't think that if you enjoy Haskell exercises and Codeacademy, it means you are going to enjoy the course...

To be honest, there's not much else he can try before the course that will give him an indication whether he likes it or not.
Although I probably should have stated the converse, if he doesn't enjoy programming then it probably isn't the right course for him.
Reply 7
Imperial's courses in general are extremely theoretical.The Computing course requires a good grasp of school level maths in order for them to teach you uni maths.
Reply 8
A bit of respect for the initial topic. please!
Reply 9
I've had friends who were thinking of switches. You'll need high grades, and you'll need to explain your very good reason for it. And you will be advised against it, but if you fight for it and meet the criteria they will do it for ya. :smile:
Reply 10
What is the protocol if I want to begin the first year in Mathematics after I finish my first year in Computing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending