The Student Room Group

Which is the worst beer? Poll

Scroll to see replies

Original post by py0alb
That's a pretty standard offering in most pubs, 3 **** lagers, a **** cider, a **** bitter and a **** stout.

and this stuff sells, because you have to drink something.

Its a ****ing disgrace, the abysmal average quality of beer offered in one of the best beer producing nations in the world.

Couldn't agree more, which is why I try and avoid it as much as possible. They used to sell Estrella which was at least a bit different but that went last year.
Reply 61
Original post by jeddows
My dad had a Castlemaine 4X wash bag!

And that's literally all I've ever heard of that beer ¬_¬

ahh inbev drove it into a ditch in 2009

XXXX was brewed under licence in the UK by InBev Ltd until 2009. It was commonly available in cans in British off licences and sometimes on tap in British pubs, although it was much less widely available than Foster's (which is found in many UK pubs). At 3.7% alcohol, the British brewed XXXX was somewhat weaker than most of the Australian variants. Castlemaine XXXX was withdrawn from the UK at the end of June 2009 when InBev's licensing agreement expired.

They used to spend millions advertising it

Castlemaine XXXX was dire. I've voted Carlsberg, Export is OK and actually pretty drinkable, Carlsberg itself is an awful awful beer. I don't mind Carling either despite the fact it is a terrible beer.
Bloody Fosters! GRRR
Can't stand lager unless I'm somewhere hot (or there's nothing else). Ale or Guinness for me. The only beer I've ever poured down the sink was Boddington's. And I can't stand all these fake traditional 'Oirish' cider/creamy beer inventions. When I was growing up in Belfast it was Guinness, Harp (a particularly thin and acid lager) or Smithwicks (a rather weedy bitter). That's all there was.
Oooh, tough decision. For me it's between Carling, the drink that was always on offer at our local newsagents at uni and always in our fridge despite hating it, and John Smith's, a drink I just can't bring myself to like. That said, I haven't had a John Smith's in years and my tastes have changed. I just remember it being strong and awful.

Hmmm I don't think i'd say no to a free Carling if I was thirsty on a boiling hot day. John Smith's it is then.

On a side note... has anyone ever tried Carlsberg Special Brew? How bad are we talking?
Original post by walterwhite123
Budweiser isn't really beer. They use rice to make it.

Rice doesn't stop it being a beer.

Anyway, Carlsberg, how anyone voted for Guinness is beyond me off that list, drink of the Gods.
Original post by robo donkey
Rice doesn't stop it being a beer.

Anyway, Carlsberg, how anyone voted for Guinness is beyond me off that list, drink of the Gods.

It sort of does. Who else do you know who is making beer with rice?
Reply 68
I drank a 'Loch Ness' brewed from the water of Loch Ness, when I was there in February. Believe me, that IS the worst beer!
bud tastes like vinegar
carling is what i imagine piss takes like

Tsingtao?
Being from Finland I can tell you we have the worst beer ever here. Karhu, Olvi and Lapinkulta (the regular ones normally found from bars) all taste pretty much like pee...
So yea, all of the listed in the poll are at least better than what we have here :smile:

There's a few out there I can tell you that, just not a great deal, my Ma can't drink any gluten containing beers so you suddenly have to broaden the search somewhat to find something good out there
Reply 73
What?! Carlsberg is so much worse than fosters! Fosters is at least drinkable, they have to give away carlsberg by making it 15 cans for £8!
Best accident ever. Anyone who doesn't like Guinness doesn't understand beer.
Reply 75
Well, so you're saying that I shouldn't be too happy when I see Budweiser when I arrive in the UK? I'm Czech, and the Czech Budweiser is just lovely!
Carling without a doubt. Dire stuff.
Reply 77
Original post by Fingersmith
Best accident ever. Anyone who doesn't like Guinness doesn't understand beer.

Oh come now. Guinness is awful mass produced filth. It tastes like tramps smell. CAMRA refuse to even recognise it as a stout its so godawful.

I suggest you go on a local Mild Trail this May, you'll see how good dark beer can be.
I agree with the above. Its Mild May!! Some top Milds out there that make Guinness look like tramp's piss. Its a Dry Stout, but I've had better Dry Stouts than it before.
Original post by py0alb
Oh come now. Guinness is awful mass produced filth. It tastes like tramps smell. CAMRA refuse to even recognise it as a stout its so godawful.

I suggest you go on a local Mild Trail this May, you'll see how good dark beer can be.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I love real stout too. We have a beautiful local one called Dorothy Goodbody (Wye Valley Brewery). Guinness is a different drink and for me its pleasure is purely nostalgic - it's the taste of my mis-spent youth. You know how you sometimes crave a take-away Chinese even though you know how much better the real thing is?

Quick Reply

Latest